Author Topic: Moving from iTunes to MusicBee (Rating Tags)  (Read 8557 times)

theta_wave

Thanks, gave it another try.
It's working perfectly fine, but will require a routine to maintain... the nature of a workaround :)

I still can't help but wonder, is it not possible to simply change the default rating tag from 'rate' to 'Rating'? ???
Hmm, I don't know.  I mean, once you set everything up for use in MB and MB writes to 'rate', why do you need to maintain anything further?  You just have to copy 'rate' to 'Rating' (for files whose 'rate' is filled but 'Rating' is empty) if you decide to migrate to fb2k at some later date.  That is unless you are thinking about jumping between fb2k (or some other program) and MB regularly.

2: AT YOUR OWN RISK! make a copy of your Configuration.xml file before you attempt this!
open the Configuration.xml file from your MusicBee installation folder with a text editor
in the <CustomTags> section insert in the alphabetical sequence
Code
<Tag id="Rating" id3v23="POPM" id3v24="POPM" wma="WM/SharedUserRating" vorbisComments="RATING" mpeg="Rating" ape2="Rating" />
save into MB and start.
Not 100% sure if this one will work.
you may have to re-scan your library to get MB to recognise the changes.
Ah, thanks bee-liever for chiming in.
Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 11:41:00 PM by ssri

stranger

Hmm, I don't know.  I mean, once you set everything up for use in MB and MB writes to 'rate', why do you need to maintain anything further?  You just have to copy 'rate' to 'Rating' (for files whose 'rate' is filled but 'Rating' is empty) if you decide to migrate to fb2k at some later date.  That is unless you are thinking about jumping between fb2k (or some other program) and MB regularly.

Well to be honest my initial concern was the rating tags were not being written to the file at all. Finding out that wasn't the case was comforting enough, and although the freedom of jumping between programs was my intention, you're right... I could easily use your workaround to migrate in the future or even regularly thanks to the playlist tip :D

1:  create a custom tag eg. "DBPOWER RATING"
Code
<Tag id="DBPOWER RATING" id3v23="Rating" id3v24="Rating" wma="Rating" vorbisComments="Rating" mpeg="Rating" ape2="Rating" />
install 'Additional_Tagging_and_Reporting_Tools' plugin
set it up to auto-copy the value from DBPOWER RATING tag to Rating tag

2: AT YOUR OWN RISK! make a copy of your Configuration.xml file before you attempt this!
open the Configuration.xml file from your MusicBee installation folder with a text editor
in the <CustomTags> section insert in the alphabetical sequence
Code
<Tag id="Rating" id3v23="POPM" id3v24="POPM" wma="WM/SharedUserRating" vorbisComments="RATING" mpeg="Rating" ape2="Rating" />
save into MB and start.
Not 100% sure if this one will work.
you may have to re-scan your library to get MB to recognise the changes.

Thanks, the first solution also suggested by ssri does the trick... i think i'll avoid delving as deep as the second :D 
Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 11:58:13 PM by stranger