Author Topic: Very low volume for some albums  (Read 5962 times)

akshay2000

I recently noticed this after a fresh install of MusicBee on a new laptop. For some of my albums volume is extremely low. So low that it might just be a whisper. I tried to play the same music through other players like Windows Media Player and Groove Music. It plays at normal volume. What gives?
So far, I have tried to analyze volume to no effect. What is going on here? How do I stop this from happening?

Alumni

I recently noticed this after a fresh install of MusicBee on a new laptop. For some of my albums volume is extremely low. So low that it might just be a whisper. I tried to play the same music through other players like Windows Media Player and Groove Music. It plays at normal volume. What gives?
So far, I have tried to analyze volume to no effect. What is going on here? How do I stop this from happening?

Unlike the other players you mentioned, MusicBee (by default) uses ReplayGain to normalize the volume level of your albums, because a lot of older CD's tend to be much quieter (because of the way they were mastered). If you look under MusicBee's main menu and controls, there are several options there for ReplayGain - in an ideal situation your entire library should be analyzed, with smart gain also activated, then whatever you're listening to should play back at the same volume.

Steven

• Administrator
also check the relative volume adjustment setting for the files in question in the Settings tab of the tag editor.
I believe only MB and iTunes look for and apply that setting

akshay2000

Unlike the other players you mentioned, MusicBee (by default) uses ReplayGain to normalize the volume level of your albums, because a lot of older CD's tend to be much quieter (because of the way they were mastered). If you look under MusicBee's main menu and controls, there are several options there for ReplayGain - in an ideal situation your entire library should be analyzed, with smart gain also activated, then whatever you're listening to should play back at the same volume.

Okay, disabling ReplayGain altogether solved my issue somehow. However, now I'm trying to understand what exactly is wrong here? I remember trying to analyze whole music library and leaving smart gain enabled. Shouldn't that take care of uneven volume levels? Instead it is making my music volume uneven. Is there anything wrong with the files?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I wonder if some of them were analyzed with the older version, and some with a newer one.  MB's version changed a while back, and some of the values could have come from other programs. MB will not reanalyze files that already have an replay gain value, so you might try removing ALL the replay gain tags and re-running volume analysis.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

akshay2000

I wonder if some of them were analyzed with the older version, and some with a newer one.  MB's version changed a while back, and some of the values could have come from other programs. MB will not reanalyze files that already have an replay gain value, so you might try removing ALL the replay gain tags and re-running volume analysis.

Version mismatch could be an issue. How do I get rid of all the ReplayGain tags? I'd rather not manually go through tag editor for each and every track.

gpzbc

Version mismatch could be an issue. How do I get rid of all the ReplayGain tags? I'd rather not manually go through tag editor for each and every track.

Tools --> Restore Original Volume