Author Topic: MusicBee3.exe  (Read 4101 times)

Pako

I have one question.
The name MusicBee3.exe, it is only temporary state (beta version) or permanent?
I need to know because my EventGhost plugin may not work properly (it assumes that the executable is named MusicBee.exe).
If this is just a temporary condition, I will change nothing.

Thanks, Pako

Steven

• Administrator
the plan is to keep it as MusicBee3.exe so that people can run either version without re-installing

redwing

the plan is to keep it as MusicBee3.exe so that people can run either version without re-installing

Does that mean updated skins need to support both versions, like vertical tabs, etc.?

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P

And is that only while in beta?
Will the release version revert back to MusicBee.exe?
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

Steven

• Administrator
the plan is to keep MB3 named as MusicBee3.exe
MB3 already has its own settings file
Whether you maintain backwards compatible skins is your choice ( i would suggest there is no need to support the removed 2.5 features as long as you make clear its only for v3)

The main reason is i am expecting a small and vocal number of people to say they hate it, or complain about feature xyz not being exactly the same - so this makes it easy for them to go back to 2.5

Bee-liever

So, when MB3 goes full release the installer won't remove 2.5 and there will be 2 shortcuts on my desktop.
One for 2.5 and one for 3.0.

And you will be maintaining 2 versions?

Is this sort of like Winamp 2 and 3 and we'll see the 2 versions recombine in MusicBee5? :)

Paperbackstash

Bee-liever, I downloaded version 3 tonight and it didn't mess with 2.5
To compare them and mess around, I opened both links from my desktop and had them both running at the same time.
The skins I tried that I had installed for 2.5 moved over and seemed to work fine for v3

redwing

the plan is to keep MB3 named as MusicBee3.exe
MB3 already has its own settings file
Whether you maintain backwards compatible skins is your choice ( i would suggest there is no need to support the removed 2.5 features as long as you make clear its only for v3)

The main reason is i am expecting a small and vocal number of people to say they hate it, or complain about feature xyz not being exactly the same - so this makes it easy for them to go back to 2.5

I've thought about this, but it doesn't make much sense.
Why is the transition from v2.5 to v3 so different from previous ones? When people didn't like a new version, they always just stayed with old versions, understanding there won't be any support for those. And I saw some still using v2.1 in the forum. I just checked the latest version forum and still all version since v2.1 are downloadable. So if people decide not to upgrade to v3, they can just stay.
Including v2.5 in the v3 installer, and even in the filename MusicBee.exe (not MusicBee2.exe), gives an impression that you're gonna keep maintaining that version along with v3 like adding new features to both versions and fixing bugs. Is that your plan? If not, why not just drop v2.5 like previous versions?
This already starts creating complications, notably in skinning. For the compatibility (even though it's optional) skinners have to abandon or compromise in many areas.
Hope you reconsider this. No one would complain about that as long as old versions are available.

Bee-liever

I'm still hoping I've misunderstood Steven and it's only while 3.0 is in the beta stage.
When 3.0 goes to final release, I assume it will be like when 1.4 went to 2.0 and the installer will consolidate everything if you have have musicbee.exe and musicbee3.exe.
But, so far, no word to confirm or deny this.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
The question that came up about default programs pointed out one flaw in keeping MusicBee3.exe separate from MusicBee.exe.  Most users will expect the default program and shortcuts to point to 3.0 once they install it (and I think they're right to expect that).
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)