Author Topic: Musicbee vs. Mediamonkey Throwdown (a comparison)  (Read 14522 times)

chrisjj

> The reason I switched from MM to MB is simply that MM got bloated and slow,
> and the dev team kept adding features instead of focusing on
> improving performance. Nothing worse than slow software.

I'd say buggy software. The reason I'd like to switch from MM is the dev team kept adding features instead of focusing on fixing bugs. The last straw for me was video.

However on some functions e.g. device sync, MM does for me work a lot better than MB. I have high hope MB's device sync will improve but I know it is costly work, since it requires physical devices and consumes a lot of test time. And the near-zero or negative Dev responses I get to device sync bug reports here suggest it is low priority.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
However on some functions e.g. device sync, MM does for me work a lot better than MB. I have high hope MB's device sync will improve but I know it is costly work, since it requires physical devices and consumes a lot of test time. And the near-zero or negative Dev responses I get to device sync bug reports here suggest it is low priority.

That's because Media Monkey has a paid team, and MusicBee has one unpaid developer.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

hiccup

And the near-zero or negative Dev responses I get to device sync bug reports here suggest it is low priority.

Just curious, are you aware that MusicBee is developed by 1 (one) single person?

(hm, the board function pop-up "somebody else responded to this thread while you were typing, bladiebla" seems not to function anymore)
Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 03:08:08 PM by hiccup

chrisjj

That's because Media Monkey has a paid team, and MusicBee has one unpaid developer.

Evidently is it not because of that, since other features have not suffered the same.

chrisjj

Just curious, are you aware that MusicBee is developed by 1 (one) single person?

I am.

Are you aware that was hoping for no more than attention from the 1 (one) single dev that produced this feature?

hiccup

I am.
Are you aware that was hoping for no more than attention from the 1 (one) single dev that produced this feature?

Perhaps it is misreading or misjudging your words from that post on my behalf, but if you are aware of the incredible efforts and responsiveness of this sole developer, your wordings "....the near-zero or negative Dev responses I get..." struck me (and others) in a bad way. That's all. Let's move on.

chrisjj

>  your wordings "....the near-zero or negative Dev responses I get..." struck me

Since you're quoting my wording, please be less misleading in the way you do it.

I said " And the near-zero or negative Dev responses **I get to device sync bug reports**... "

And if you've got a better response to device sync bug reports, let's see it.

hiccup

>  your wordings "....the near-zero or negative Dev responses I get..." struck me

Since you're quoting my wording, please be less misleading in the way you do it.

I said " And the near-zero or negative Dev responses **I get to device sync bug reports**... "

And if you've got a better response to device sync bug reports, let's see it.

I am not wasting more time on this negative and aggressive attitude of yours.

chrisjj

>> And if you've got a better response to device sync bug reports, let's see it.

> I am not wasting more time on this negative and aggressive attitude of yours.

I'll take that as a No.

vpsaxman

Yeah I don't think the passive aggressive attitude is going to get you anywhere chrisjj. Neither is creating multiple bug report threads, in the wrong forum, for what seems to be very similar issues.

Evidently is it not because of that, since other features have not suffered the same.
Device sync is a completely different beast. Steven can swiftly fix other bugs or add other features because, unlike device sync, there aren't a million parameters which aren't under his control. You also said yourself that sync meant spending a lot of time and money for purchasing devices (which would be one of the best way to fix sync issues), and it's unrealistic to expect a one man team to focus on this.

I'm having my own issues with device sync (although it seems to be working atm) and I was completely satisfied with Steven's response to my bug report thread (see below). It makes a lot of sense, and if you look into that thread, there are a few workarounds put forward.

it means i dont have the time available.
There are two parties in a synching protocol (MB and the device). Either party could be doing something something slightly unexpected with the synching protocol, and then add into the mix other software thats been installed on the device that might be interfering. And lastly as i dont have the devices in question i cant directly test them myself.
So its just not a good use of my time to try and solve this type of problem

chrisjj

> You also said yourself that sync meant spending a lot of time and money for purchasing devices

No I did not.  I said "it requires physical devices". If the Dev doesn't have the physical device for these issues, I'll be happy to donate one to the project.
Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 04:38:20 PM by chrisjj