Author Topic: [GRANTED] Track information panel: Unlimited or automatic row number (auto-wrap)  (Read 4612 times)

theta_wave

Hi,

I'm a long time Mediamonkey user and I've used Musicbee on and off the past few years.  Looks like it has matured nicely, but I have a feature request for this particular panel with respect to the row setting.  In Musicbee, the user has to determine the number of rows available for a particular field.  For example, for classical music oftentimes the title is rather long, so one row for the title is insufficient (three rows is sufficient for many of the classical titles).  However, for more contemporary tracks one row is often enough.  If I have <title> set to display three rows, then there's a two row gap for many of the more contemporary titles.  Is there a way to have the number of rows for a field determined automatically?  Likewise for <comment> where sometimes it gets cut off well before the 99 rows I've set for it.

I just got used to this feature because my two favorite programs for managing my music collection [Mediamonkey for Windows (monkeyrok plugin) and Cantata for linux (metadata panel)] seems to handle the metadata in this manner.

TL;DR: Allow for variable row spanning subject to the requirement by the respective field, say "-1" under "Row Span: "
Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 10:55:57 PM by ssri

phred

• Global Moderator
+1
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P

theta_wave

Here's the wishlist visualized.  I set the row span large enough to encompass one of the longer <comment>.  Of course, some <comment>'s are not as long (as seen in the posted screenshot).  What happens is a large gap between the end of <comment> and the web links.  I know that the latter can be hidden and is accessible via right click, but I included it here to show what happens since <comment> is quite variable in my collection.  Likewise <title> and <album> are variable especially between Classical and Pop genres, though just a few rows or two.

Steven

• Administrator
Not what is being asked for but i think its relevant and probably "does the job".
I have made a small tweak for the next v3 update so that the row span setting for a field now becomes a maximum rather than a fixed number eg. if you set the row span to 5 and the field only takes 2 rows to fully display, then only 2 rows are used and the following field displays immediately following that.
If "split multi-value tags" is enabled, then the row span as described above is only used if there is a single value. For tags with 2 or more values, each value will display on a single row

phred

• Global Moderator
Not what is being asked for but i think its relevant and probably "does the job".
I have made a small tweak for the next v3 update so that the row span setting for a field now becomes a maximum rather than a fixed number eg. if you set the row span to 5 and the field only takes 2 rows to fully display, then only 2 rows are used and the following field displays immediately following that.
If "split multi-value tags" is enabled, then the row span as described above is only used if there is a single value. For tags with 2 or more values, each value will display on a single row
Seems like a pretty creative solution.  And I'm pretty sure it will work well for my needs.  Which is nowhere near 99 lines, but just out of curiosity, for the OP, will it work with the row span set to 99 and only four are used?

Thanks Steven.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

theta_wave

Seems like a pretty creative solution.  And I'm pretty sure it will work well for my needs.  Which is nowhere near 99 lines, but just out of curiosity, for the OP, will it work with the row span set to 99 and only four are used?

Thanks Steven.
It sounds pretty good and in theory it should work no matter what maximum is set.  Thanks Steve, I'm looking forward to testing it out.

phred

• Global Moderator
This is fabulous!!!  I set the comment row span for 99 and had a 5 line comment.  It showed with no blank space under the 5th comment line.

Thanks!!

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

theta_wave

This is fabulous!!!  I set the comment row span for 99 and had a 5 line comment.  It showed with no blank space under the 5th comment line.

Thanks!!
I one-upped you on that and set it to 900 (tbh, the most is probably 500 on a few albums due to the time I included reviews in <comment>) and it works perfectly.  I feel this really works best for classical albums and their sometimes long titles (i.e. Debussy titles such as "Jeux: On aperçoit le jeune homme au fond, à gauche, qui semble se cacher; il les suit dans leurs mouvements, à travers les branches; il s’arrête en face d’elles. Elles commencent par vouloir fuir, mais il les ramène doucement, et leur fait une nouvelle invitation. Il commense à danser. La première jeune fille court vers lui. –").  Thanks a lot Steve!
Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 10:58:55 PM by ssri

phred

• Global Moderator
900?!?!?!
You're a maniac!!  :-)

But I owe some thanks to you, also, for getting the ball rolling on this feature.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki