Author Topic: MusicBee now works under wine  (Read 85350 times)

Rotom

For anyone who is trying to get MusicBee to run with the current version of Wine (7.3) and having trouble, I found that the Valve fork of Wine worked out of the box with no modifications (https://github.com/ValveSoftware/wine). I'm using Manjaro and was able to install this with the wine-valve package in the AUR (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/wine-valve). Just a note: this will probably take a while to build (around 45 minutes for me on a high-end machine), but YMMV.
The only thing I can't get working is skins, but everything else seems to be fine at the moment.

WINE just updated to 7.4 on mainline Arch and whatever was causing trouble has been fixed. MusicBee loads again, now.

chrismeraz

Nearly all of my files are clipping my DAC when I play them in MusicBee via Crossover. These same files do not clip when played on my PC through the same DAC, nor when played on the Mac through iTunes. Replay Gain is Off, Equalizer if Off. Does anyone else have this problem? I have an M1 Mac.

I tried Parallels and I have the same problem there.
Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 06:10:54 PM by chrismeraz

ome-reily

So I've got this mostly installed on Linux Mint, but I keep getting this "Sharing violation. This file cannot be updated as another application has this file open at the same time" error whenever I have to do literally anything that updates the file. Change rating, add it to playlist, update metadata, anything.

The music is on my mint partition, so not sure what's happening.

Anyone else getting this error?

Currently on Ming 20.2 (which is based on Ubuntu 20.04) and Wine staging 7.7. Everything else seems to work (though I haven't yet tried connecting my phone).

bloodfu

Thats great! Never knew it worked on Linux. MusicBee is the main reason why I didn't go back to Ubuntu and just used the already installed Windows on my new PC. Going to bookmark this thread for when and if I decide to go back to linux. Thanks for this!  :)

chalchiutlicue

I've had several problems with wine and it's only getting worse. I tried using the other topics about the subject but only worsened my problems (read further for more details) so I decided to make a topic here because I'm definitely past the point where I can continue without help.

1) I installed MusicBee on an external hard drive with
Code
wine [installer].exe
2) upon launch, got a "BASS_ERROR_DRIVER" that I figured I'd fix later
3) When I tried creating a library in the first window, I ended up with the following error :
(I tried with undescores too so the error doesn't come from the spaces). What's weird is that MusicBee manages to create a folder and a .ini file inside of it, so I'm not sure why it even crashes
4) I read https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=17074 and had the bad idea to try one of the tutorials from 2019 (answer #44), so I ran
Code
winetricks -q dotnet45 mfc42 xmllite gdiplus d3dx9 vcrun2008 wmp10
5) now when I start running the installed MusicBee it just doesn't work (opens and closes instantly without error), and when I try to run the installer it tells me Vista and XP is no longer supported.

I'm now completely stuck and out of ideas. I'm very new to wine and I don't even know how I can revert to the state before 4) where I could at least use the installer and launch the app. Any help would be greatly appreciated

chalchiutlicue

MusicBee runs great on Linux with Wine, and is super easy to install

As this is the Top Hit when searching for "MusicBee + Linux" I was kind of disappointed that I didn't find an easy to follow guide on how to install it under wine(for someone with very little wine/winetricks knowledge). Particularly when I found out how easy it actually was. So I'l post how I did it in April 2019.

First, some specs;
 Desktop Environment: KDE Plasma 5.15.3
 Kernel: 4.18.0-17-generic
 Wine: 4.5-staging
 Winetricks: 20180815
 MusicBee: 3.2-Update3 ('Setup', not 'Portable')

Note: Text following the '$' symbol is meant to be run in a terminal

Step 1: Download and extract the MusicBee installer

Step 2: Run the installer with wine. I recommend accepting to add a Desktop Icon so MusicBee becomes searchable from the launcher. You can delete the ~/Desktop/MusicBee.desktop file later anyway.
         $ wine  ~/Downloads/MusicBeeSetup_3_2_Update3.exe

Step 3: Install some DDL dependencies into the wineprefix
         $ winetricks -q dotnet45 mfc42 xmllite gdiplus d3dx9 vcrun2008 wmp10

If you try and launch MusicBee now you might get an error saying that "MusicBee does not run on WindowsVista/XP". If so, do step 4.

Step 4: Set the wineprefix's Windows version to Windows 7 or newer. Open the configuration tool by running;
         $ winecfg

That's it!
I'm no wine expert, but with the latest releases of wine it's become trivial to have MusicBee running in Linux, so I though I'd share for anyone else missing the best music player in the world in their new Linux home.

can anyone update this for current MusicBee? I tried this tutorial and ended up with a MusicBee that don't launch and an installer that says I can't run it on Vista or XP (further details at https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=36644.0 )

EDIT by Moderator: Topics merged; referenced "further details" thread struck out.
Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 04:43:08 PM by phred

chalchiutlicue

Someone told me about https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=33888&iTestingId=111465
so I fully reinitialized wine and tried to run MusicBee with only winetricking
Code
dotnet48
and
Code
gdiplus
. I fell back on the initial error I had :

The main difference I have is that I use wine's latest version (7) and the last tested one is the 6th. I'll try with the 6th to check if it is indeed a version compatibility issue.

Rotom

Someone told me about https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=33888&iTestingId=111465
so I fully reinitialized wine and tried to run MusicBee with only winetricking
Code
dotnet48
and
Code
gdiplus
. I fell back on the initial error I had :

The main difference I have is that I use wine's latest version (7) and the last tested one is the 6th. I'll try with the 6th to check if it is indeed a version compatibility issue.

This error occurs when it can't find a valid card to play on. Check your winecfg, and if it says winealsa.drv, then you need to install the 32-bit PulseAudio/PipeWire libraries.

chalchiutlicue

Okay I managed to make it work, but the sound is super laggy, the cover art do not display in playlists for some obscure reason, and japanese characters are all messed up.
I guess I'll either have to wait for a real linux build, or hope wine improves enough for it to work properly.

phred

• Global Moderator
I guess I'll either have to wait for a real linux build, or hope wine improves enough for it to work properly.
https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/FAQ#Will_MusicBee_be_ported_to_Mac/Linux/other_OS?
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

chrismeraz

It's difficult with Wine, I could never make it work. Crossover is like a pre-built Wine that works out of the box.

However, I still have the problem with audio glitches (in both Crossover and Parallels).

Rotom

Okay I managed to make it work, but the sound is super laggy, the cover art do not display in playlists for some obscure reason, and japanese characters are all messed up.

The Japanese character thing is certainly a WINE issue, unhelped by .NET's handling of certain fonts.

Use Meiryo UI, Microsoft Yahei or WenQuanYi Micro Hei (whichever works) if you want CJK.

yeti

In case this is useful for anyone trying to get it working on arch this is what i've done:

Code
# Setup directories and setup wine
mkdir ~/.musicbee
WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=/home/yeti/.musicbee winecfg
WINEPREFIX=/home/yeti/.musicbee winetricks -q dotnet48 xmllite gdiplus

# Download latest musicbee.exe and install
WINEPREFIX=/home/yeti/.musicbee wine MusicBeeSetup_3_3.exe

# Setup font rendering to anti-aliasing to make it look smooth (paste till /dev/null)
cat << EOF > /tmp/fontsmoothing
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
"FontSmoothing"="2"
"FontSmoothingOrientation"=dword:00000001
"FontSmoothingType"=dword:00000002
"FontSmoothingGamma"=dword:00000578
EOF

WINE=${WINE:-wine} WINEPREFIX=${WINEPREFIX:-$HOME/.musicbee} $WINE regedit /tmp/fontsmoothing 2> /dev/null

~ % wine --version                                                                           
wine-7.20

~ % dotnet --version

winetricks --version                             

Rotom

Anyone here having issues with their MusicBee library on a native Linux filesystem (in my case, ext4) and the automatic retrieval for new files? On both Arch and Fedora, it kept removing then adding back existing songs, seemingly at random. I've had to move to Quod Libet as a result.

EDIT: I think I know what the issue might be? I think it might be my files having characters that are incompatible with NTFS. Even though my file system is ext4, .NET and by extension MusicBee might still have those NTFS-related limitations. I'll test this theory later.
Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 03:33:35 PM by Rotom

jb

For anyone interested, I made a docker image that runs MusicBee through Wine in Arch, and is accessible via browser: https://github.com/jmbannon/musicbee-docker