Author Topic: MusicBee now works under wine  (Read 85395 times)

omr3lh

OK, I have been doing some more testing and I think I can say this confidently: Dont use dotnet48, its garbage, if you use the builtin wine mono, it actually goes waaay faster, and you dont get the strange font distortion. WIth dotnet, im sitting around 23% cpu consumption and with winemono im sitting around 5-4%

In my current bottle, I'm using .NET 2.0/4.0/4.5/4.5.2/4.6.2, CrossOver HTML Engine, MS RichEdit 2.0/4.1. And it works fine, but I'm interesting in seeing if I can reduce playback CPU usage.

I tried making a new bottle in Crossover Mac with only MusicBee's install files and wine-mono. MusicBee launched and showed the main library's UI fine. I tried to go into the context menu to view preferences, but the context menu text wasn't visible. And then it crashed — and I was unable to reopen MusicBee.

Are there any other dependencies you're using beyond wine-mono?

Lord of Carpinchos

Oh I probably have all of them, because before installing wine-staging I installed playonlinux, which came with pretty much everything you could ever need dependency wise, then i uninstalled it but while leaving all the dependencies behind, then I downloaded the latest mono from winehq (6.0 as of now) and installed xmllite and gdiplus through winetricks.
Ah, and I use manjaro.
Playback is max 8% cpu when changing songs and 5% when playing, only time it ever passed 10% was when it was scanning the drive.

Edit: Also im on a 64bit prefix
Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 12:24:40 AM by Lord of Carpinchos

omr3lh

Oh I probably have all of them, because before installing wine-staging I installed playonlinux, which came with pretty much everything you could ever need dependency wise, then i uninstalled it but while leaving all the dependencies behind, then I downloaded the latest mono from winehq (6.0 as of now) and installed xmllite and gdiplus through winetricks.
Ah, and I use manjaro.
Playback is max 8% cpu when changing songs and 5% when playing, only time it ever passed 10% was when it was scanning the drive.

Edit: Also im on a 64bit prefix

Thanks! I'll have to explore a bit more. I'm eager to get my CPU usage down. During playback, it still hovers around 30%. (At 0 when not playing though).

Lord of Carpinchos

Ok, I think I found the winning setup
*Use 64 bits prefix, dotnet48(lmao), mfc40, gdiplus and msxml6
The command should look like this

WINEPREFIX=[whatever place you use as prefix] winetricks -q --force gdiplus msxml6 mfc40 dotnet48

I added "dwmapi" and "windowscodecs" internal wine libraries through winecfg, but idk if it does something.

This setup just works so good lol, I can enter the now playing tab without problems, everything loads and the gui is really fast, something did not happen with wine-mono or the earlier dotnets, althoug wine-mono will get your cpu usage quite low ~5%, the gui wont look as good. With dotnet48 the gui looks like it should and cpu usage is 4%~ playback with slight jumps to 9%~ when changing songs.
Now playing tab hovers around 7~ and jumps to 10~ when changing songs.

Im on garuda linux (arch) with the linux-zen kernel and wine 6.0 with a musicbee only prefix.

omr3lh

Ok, I think I found the winning setup
*Use 64 bits prefix, dotnet48(lmao), mfc40, gdiplus and msxml6
The command should look like this

WINEPREFIX=[whatever place you use as prefix] winetricks -q --force gdiplus msxml6 mfc40 dotnet48

I added "dwmapi" and "windowscodecs" internal wine libraries through winecfg, but idk if it does something.

This setup just works so good lol, I can enter the now playing tab without problems, everything loads and the gui is really fast, something did not happen with wine-mono or the earlier dotnets, althoug wine-mono will get your cpu usage quite low ~5%, the gui wont look as good. With dotnet48 the gui looks like it should and cpu usage is 4%~ playback with slight jumps to 9%~ when changing songs.
Now playing tab hovers around 7~ and jumps to 10~ when changing songs.

Im on garuda linux (arch) with the linux-zen kernel and wine 6.0 with a musicbee only prefix.

I've tried various combinations of dotnet, mono, mfc, dwmapi, windowscodecs, Windows 7/8/10, x86/x64 with no luck. I haven't been able to decrease my playback CPU usage at all. What version of Musicbee are you using? I'm using 3.3.7602.

Lord of Carpinchos

I've tried various combinations of dotnet, mono, mfc, dwmapi, windowscodecs, Windows 7/8/10, x86/x64 with no luck. I haven't been able to decrease my playback CPU usage at all. What version of Musicbee are you using? I'm using 3.3.7602.

Tbh I think this is not a wine or musicbee problem anymore...what sound server do you use? I'm using pipewire with the latest MusicBee 3.3.7491
Also do you have any cpu profiling daemon running?

omr3lh

Oh, I thought I had mentioned earlier — I'm running this on MacOS on an M1 Macbook using CrossOver (basically a wine wrapper with extra goodies).

Lord of Carpinchos

Oh, I thought I had mentioned earlier — I'm running this on MacOS on an M1 Macbook using CrossOver (basically a wine wrapper with extra goodies).

eh, a paid program, don't they offer some kind of support? I mean you are paying for a (kinda?) modded wine.
You could try the normal wine and see if there is any difference, I mean an M1 chip is quite fast for it to be struggling over MusicBee, I have a shitty AMD A4 and it runs smooth as butter.

omr3lh

eh, a paid program, don't they offer some kind of support? I mean you are paying for a (kinda?) modded wine.
You could try the normal wine and see if there is any difference, I mean an M1 chip is quite fast for it to be struggling over MusicBee, I have a shitty AMD A4 and it runs smooth as butter.

Haha yeah, they do offer support! I should give that a try — didn't even think of it  ::)

I was also considering trying normal Wine, so I'll give that a good too.

madrone

MusicBee 3.4.7805 (and MusicBee Portable) seems to install straightforwardly in Linux WINE, using Bottles, and a 64-bit chardonnay-6.10 runner. It doesn't even seem to require any additional dependencies. But as others have noted above

When I used Windows I used the option "Search Internet for Picture" and I used the iTunes and Fanart.tv images but when I starting using Linux it said that it was an invalid picture on both of them

all of the album art disappears and is replaced with "No Cover Art" or "Invalid Picture." Tinkering with permissions or different file types (e.g., jpg to png) doesn't seem to make a difference. Has anyone been able to fix this glitch?

wisah

Hello everyone,

I'm using Crossover for MusicBee on my Mac, it work well but i'm struggling to understand how can i use the Global Hotkey to control the player !
Anyone can point me in the right direction ? Any possibility to map the Mediakey of my touchbar also ?

Bless

Cymbaline

all of the album art disappears and is replaced with "No Cover Art" or "Invalid Picture." Tinkering with permissions or different file types (e.g., jpg to png) doesn't seem to make a difference. Has anyone been able to fix this glitch?

On my new computer I get this error as well, and I can't edit files either. I didn't have this problem on my old laptop. Any help with this matter would be much appreciated.

dotheemptyhouse

For the file converter tabs to not crash you need windows media player, you can find it as wmp11

Hi, I've been working on setting up MusicBee through Wine on an Intel Mac and this issue is a big sticking point for me. I have lots of AAC files and I see that I'll need to install an AAC codec for MusicBee to play them. However I can't configure that codec because the file converter tab crashes. I was hoping I could solve that issue by adding wmp11 to my bottle, but I'm struggling here. All of the WMP11 installers I have so far found will not install, giving me the error message "Your computer is running the most recent version of Windows Media Player 11 and all of its components. No update is available at this time." Is there a specific version of wmp11 I need to look for in order to get this crash to stop happening?

sveakul

I have lots of AAC files and I see that I'll need to install an AAC codec for MusicBee to play them. However I can't configure that codec because the file converter tab crashes.
If all you want to be able to do is PLAY the files, have you tried just dropping bass_aac.dll into the folder that contains MusicBee.exe?
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=23454.0

The file converter tab should have nothing to do with this, unless your aim is also to be able to convert formats to AAC, which is a whole different discussion.

danejur

For anyone who is trying to get MusicBee to run with the current version of Wine (7.3) and having trouble, I found that the Valve fork of Wine worked out of the box with no modifications (https://github.com/ValveSoftware/wine). I'm using Manjaro and was able to install this with the wine-valve package in the AUR (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/wine-valve). Just a note: this will probably take a while to build (around 45 minutes for me on a high-end machine), but YMMV.
The only thing I can't get working is skins, but everything else seems to be fine at the moment.