Author Topic: MusicBee now works under wine  (Read 85365 times)

Mr. Trev

Anybody using Musicbee to edit tags - either through autotag or manually?

I've got MB3.2 installed using basically the same instructions as in the previous post, but when I try to save any tag changes I get a "file already exists" type error with just options to retry or cancel. I can't figure out how to allow a rewrite

shepard

Anybody using Musicbee to edit tags - either through autotag or manually?

I've got MB3.2 installed using basically the same instructions as in the previous post, but when I try to save any tag changes I get a "file already exists" type error with just options to retry or cancel. I can't figure out how to allow a rewrite
yes
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=5338.msg152361#msg152361

https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=5338.msg159137#msg159137

I've tried everything, from almost all winetricks, to making different bottles with different wine versions (or staging), changing registry settings, things like language envs, nothing works.

shepard

I just realized all .png files are 0b at /drive_c/MusicBee/AppData/InternalCache/AlbumCovers/NUMBER/B1234_5678.png and if I replace them with some random image, MusicBee shows them without a problem.

So the problem is when the embedded artwork is getting cached (thumbnail generator?) or something like that.

OsmarMty

When I used Windows I used the option "Search Internet for Picture" and I used the iTunes and Fanart.tv images but when I starting using Linux it said that it was an invalid picture on both of them

Lorenzo

With this version of MB, set the Preferences/Player/output selection to DirectSound and it will retain compatibility with the old DirectSound API using newer versions of bass.dll

https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee32_Patched.zip
unzip and replace the existing MusicBee files
New version 3.3 of MusicBee suffers the same problem on wine. If I don't ask too much, could you make a patch for it?

Steven

• Administrator
the instruction remains the same and is still supported - just change the output API in the Player preferences to DirectSound

Lorenzo

the instruction remains the same and is still supported - just change the output API in the Player preferences to DirectSound
Nevermind! It was a problem of mine missing some wine libraries since I'm on a fresh install.
New version works out of the box with WASAPI.
If everyone is wondering, you also need to install Net Framework 4.6.1 or the new version of MusicBee won't start.

Anyway, thanks for the reply as always  :)

sirprancelot

Just as a heads up.  After quitting using musicbee due to it not working nice over my network with a PI server and SMB through wine when playing FLACs.  I've updated to the latest version of Musicbee and had a eureka "that might work" idea of trying AFP (Apple File Protocol) as opposed to Samba.  It seems to be playing nicer from what I can tell but I need to do more intensive tests.  If this pans out I will share how to get it up and running for those of you with similar needs to my own.  I'll be back with reports. PS I am getting the impression the latest version of Musicbee works better with FLACs over the network as well.  Had no issue with MP3s but try to keep my MP3s to minimum and only use CD quality FLACs for most of library.

sirprancelot

Ok.  So far my tests are going pretty well.  If it continues to go like this I'll be sticking to wine musicbee.  Not sure if it's just the latest version of wine is better with mac audio or whether there are improvements in Musicbee but this is very usable.  The only hiccups I have had are making sure to use WASAPI exclusive.  Buffering doesn't seem to work on my FLACS (haven't tested MP3).  But that hasn't been an issue.  The main ugly thing is when it is first downloading artist pictures for my 12000 songs.  Get's a bit crackly if playing whilst it's doing that.  But since the first burst of doing that it's been pretty stellar.  Still to early to call but I've even got subsonic working and tested playing through bluetooth speakers.  Fingers crossed.  I'll run it for a week then report back but day 1 get's a 9/10 once I got my library loaded up over the network which was v slow on AFP.  BTW it's worth noting even on the previous wine mac version I posted instructions to playing files locally was no problem but that is no good for me.  I store all my tunes on a raspberry pi server that runs 24/7.  Has to be a little pi one so my wife doesn't complain!  So I've been dealing with 2 bottlenecks... wine and a low powered server.  Shame Musicbee isn't a native mac app... it has absolutely no competitors.  The music players I've seen on Mac are politely put terrible.
Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 09:02:27 PM by sirprancelot

MW2K

MusicBee portable worked for me okay in wine 3.15 on Ubuntu 18.04 by only installing .net in winetricks. The tips in this thread made it work much better but I'm still getting stuck on one hangup, click and drag isn't working for me in MusicBee. Does anyone have any ideas to get click and drag working? Does it work for anyone else in wine?

Yep, 18 months later, someone adds to this. Doesn't work for me either - if I run MusicBee through a console, it throws up an invalid UTF-8 method error. Within MusicBee itself, this is the error it reports:

Code
MusicBee v3.3.7261.33657D  (Win6.1), 23 Dec 2019 16:45:

System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for '#=z37lCrcUA9mkb' threw an exception. ---> System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast COM object of type '#=zyQH8Ta37rIin' to interface type '#=ztNB$EAr5H4oa'. This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with IID '{83E07D0D-0C5F-4163-BF1A-60B274051E40}' failed due to the following error: Exception from HRESULT: 0x80004002 (E_NOINTERFACE).
   at #=zDCOEcc9zNQtTU$yKE6Jr6j4=.#=z37lCrcUA9mkb..cctor()
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at #=zDCOEcc9zNQtTU$yKE6Jr6j4=.#=z37lCrcUA9mkb..ctor(String[] #=zG9TJyQBfKs2$)
   at #=zlpWM7vlOZnRzBxwVf7prPpFOpng8.#=zuqOQhhffdeW$wvekOQ==.#=zY6zi0VAPDzfSuvQzAaSJVA8=.#=zq4KXnaQ5NBjj(MouseEventArgs #=zRiDv2sk=)
   at #=zC0pRT91Up5rfT$Mxl$GC1AQ=.OnMouseMove(MouseEventArgs #=zRiDv2sk=)
   at #=zlpWM7vlOZnRzBxwVf7prPpFOpng8.#=zuqOQhhffdeW$wvekOQ==.#=zY6zi0VAPDzfSuvQzAaSJVA8=.OnMouseMove(MouseEventArgs #=zRiDv2sk=)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseMove(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at #=z47NIqvY5sRVyI8m7kPqlY7E=.WndProc(Message& #=zju6a1l0=)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

I've done everything else that's listed here in this thread to get it working, and the program works like a charm save for this particular foible. A viable workaround is to right click the song, add it to queue, and I can live with that.

But yeah, drag and drop would be nice. Open-sourcing this wonderful app would be even better.  :P

mrdaltro

Hey people, so... I migrated to Linux (Zorin OS) today and I was able to get MusicBee working almost perfectly (even last.fm scrobbling!). But I got some weird issue that I think it's not too complicated to fix, it seems like a library issue. No matter what I do, if an artwork is JPG, it doesn't load in MusicBee. Only PNG files are accepted as artworks. The main problem is that artwork downloader only finds JPG images, for almost every album. I can't even convert what the downloader gets 'cause it downloads only 0kb invalid files.

I will take a look for what Windows/winetricks libraries deals with JPG images and maybe I could fix that annoying issue. Maybe if someone knows something about... I'd be really grateful  ;D
Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 06:48:05 PM by mrdaltro

omr3lh

I have Musicbee working on my M1 MBP via Crossover — everything functions seamlessly. I was even able to import my library and settings from my Windows backups with no issue. It's a testament to both Steven and the Crossover (and WINE) developers that something like this is even possible!

However, there are a few items I'd like to cover (some ongoing issues and some solutions that may help other people):

1. CPU Usage & Battery Drain

MusicBee has been draining my battery like crazy (it drains way more than Firefox, Dropbox, Plex, etc). I investigated and did some benchmarking:

When music is playing and the main window UI is hidden: ~30% CPU usage
When music is playing and the UI is shown: ~130%+ CPU usage
When music is paused and the UI is hidden: ~6% CPU usage
When music is paused and the UI is shown: ~100% CPU usage

(For comparison, Firefox with many tabs and several windows is maxing out at 25% CPU usage, and Dropbox [not a lighweight application] is at 0.7%).

As for memory, Musicbee hovers around 300 MB used (while Crossover is about the same).

a. UI CPU Usage - Solution
When it comes to the UI creating high CPU usage, it took me a while to solve this — until I realized there was on animated element in the UI: the Now Playing marquee scroll. Disabling this brought UI CPU usage way down. Now, when music is paused and the UI is shown, the CPU usage is ~3% (down from ~100%). Key insight here: remove all animated UI elements.

b. Playback CPU Usage - Ongoing Investigation
However, playback CPU usage (measured with UI hidden and music playing) is still around 30–40% CPU usage.

I tried changing the following settings:
- `use 32 bit output` to `off` = no impact
- load entire file to memory (or increase buffer size) = no impact
- Output methods WASAPI Shared & Exclusive (default: DirectSound) = no impact
- Disabling last.fm plugin (only one used) = no impact
- Equalizer, DSP, and Gain settings are off

Steven, do you have any suggestions for settings/features I can change/disable to reduce CPU usage during playback?

2. Minimizing Player Window
When I minimize the MusicBee window, the minimized window completely disappears. I was able to fix this by changing `General > minimise to` to `Taskbar`. (I originally had it set to `Notification Tray`). With this setting updated, minimizing the window works like one would expect on a Mac.

3. File Converters - Crash
I don't use this feature, but want to note that clicking `File Converters` in the Preferences menu causes a crash.

4. Media Keys Don't Work - Kludge Solution
Out of the box, Mac's play-pause/skip forward/skip back media keys won't control MusicBee. I was able to create a solution with the help of Karabiner Elements, a FOSS app that can intercept and remap keystrokes on Mac. I am using a "complex modification" in Karabiner to remap the media keys to hotkeys that can be used in Musicbee. Here is an example:
Code
"from": {
    "key_code": "play_or_pause",
    "modifiers": {
        "optional": [
            "any"
        ]
    }
},
"to": [
    {
        "key_code": "f4"
    }
]
And, to make the above example work, I also remapped my MusicBee play/pause hotkey to F4. A lot more than this can be done (especially if pairing Karabiner with Keyboard Maestro), but I'll leave that up to the reader.
Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 01:50:10 AM by omr3lh

Lord of Carpinchos

For the file converter tabs to not crash you need windows media player, you can find it as wmp11

And for the hotkeys I personally just use xdotool

omr3lh

For the file converter tabs to not crash you need windows media player, you can find it as wmp11

And for the hotkeys I personally just use xdotool

Thanks for the tips! I'll give xdotool a look. I already was using Karabiner for other uses, so it was an easy fit.

Great note about WMP — I'll add that to my bottle. Danke!

Lord of Carpinchos

OK, I have been doing some more testing and I think I can say this confidently: Dont use dotnet48, its garbage, if you use the builtin wine mono, it actually goes waaay faster, and you dont get the strange font distortion. WIth dotnet, im sitting around 23% cpu consumption and with winemono im sitting around 5-4%