Author Topic: MusicBee now works under wine  (Read 85382 times)

I_Tichy

Does added support for linux in the .NET framework move us in anyway towards MusicBee ending up on linux? I confess my utter ignorance when it comes to building cross-platform software.

I apologize is this is already being discussed elsewhere on the forum of if I'm beating a horse that's already been dead for years.

phred

• Global Moderator
I'm beating a horse that's already been dead for years.
This ^^

Please search the forum and the Wiki before posting. It's been discussed many times.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

I_Tichy

Yeah, I realize it's been discussed before a number of times, but from my understanding it's been .NET that's gotten in the way of linux development.

My question isn't just "why isn't musicbee on linux", it's "Do changes to .NET change the state of this discussion at all?"

phred

• Global Moderator
I don't think .net has anything to do with it.

You need to understand that MB is a one person operation. There is no development team. The sole developer, Steven, does this as a hobby in his spare time. I don't speak for him but since he has a life and a job, he probably doesn't have the time nor the desire, to support another version.

Again, read the Wiki and the many forum posts
https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/FAQ#Will_MusicBee_be_ported_to_Mac/Linux/other_OS?

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

hiccup

Respectfully, I think it does.
MusicBee is build using .NET. I'm not sure what version it currently uses, but I can imagine that it has been updated more then once over the past 14 years.

So this would not be about another (parallel) version of MusicBee, only about what .NET version is, or maybe is going to be used.
I have no knowledge of (nor interest in) Linux to speak of, but I know that there are quite a few forum members that are successfully using Wine to run MusicBee on their Linux machines.
They are Bees too ;-)

Perhaps they can chime in if they are indeed experiencing issues that might get resolved if MusicBee would update it's .NET version?

Or, there will probably be Linux forums where this may better be asked and answered? Not sure.

edit:
It might make sense to move this thread to one of the existing Linux topics (which is what the OP is actually asking about here) to keep things a bit together and not spread all over?
Last Edit: February 26, 2023, 05:04:11 PM by hiccup

I_Tichy

You need to understand that MB is a one person operation. There is no development team. The sole developer, Steven, does this as a hobby in his spare time. I don't speak for him but since he has a life and a job, he probably doesn't have the time nor the desire, to support another version.

Again, read the Wiki and the many forum posts
https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/FAQ#Will_MusicBee_be_ported_to_Mac/Linux/other_OS?

I appreciate your attention here, but your link is where I found out about .NET in the first place:

Begging is a bit underhanded, he has already replied on the issue a while ago.

Here's the issue from a programmers perspective.
MusicBee is based heavily on .NET
.NET is Microsoft and windows.

That leaves 3 options for Linux:
1) use Mono (open source Linux C#) but its far from perfect. as in galaxies away.
2) use Wine, which is an option,
        but sound quality becomes questionable, unless you use wineasio and jack.
        then its all the wine hacks he will have to put in, and there will be many, and many odd ass bugs. which is not fun for a dev.
3) Rewrite it using QT, which is laughable. If it took him this long to get MusicBee this good on .NET, because it would be a full rewrite and in C++ not C# and the differences are vast.

there are so many more issues, thankfully though the BASS library does support linux.  

I_Tichy

edit:
It might make sense to move this thread to one of the existing Linux topics (which is what the OP is actually asking about here) to keep things a bit together and not spread all over?

This would be fine with me, I don't mean to step on anyone's toes. I only posted this question because I've seen in past that .NET was part of what made deploying musicbee on linux problematic (only the dev knows if this is actually the case) and that .NET has recently been updated with linux support and was interested if this would have any sort of impact.

hiccup

only the dev knows if this is actually the case) and that .NET has recently been updated with linux support and was interested if this would have any sort of impact.
As phred tried to explain, and what has been explained many times in several Linux topics on this forum, the sole developer of MusicBee can't and shouldn't be bothered about making changes to his software for the benefit of operating systems that MusicBee is not and was never designed for.
You are curious about .NET versions, but it looks like you don't even have any knowledge or proof if there are current .NET issues that are relevant to Windows emulators for Linux.

Perhaps you will get an answer on what .NET version is currently used.
But anything else regarding Linux should be discussed elsewhere.
Last Edit: February 26, 2023, 05:33:48 PM by hiccup

I_Tichy

Oh, yeah, absolutely was not looking for the dev to respond. I suppose I figured there'd be someone with some sort of knowledge on the topic roaming the forums, but it's not a big deal.

phred

• Global Moderator
I agree that this should be merged with an existing Linux thread. Since there are many, please suggest (with a link) which thread this should be merged with.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

hiccup

I agree that this should be merged with an existing Linux thread. Since there are many, please suggest (with a link) which thread this should be merged with.
The OP has not given any information whatsoever on how he is (trying) to use MusicBee on Linux (or what distribution), nor what emulator he is using, nor what issues he may be experiencing.
So we probably shouldn't care too much. As a dartboard guess: maybe this one?:
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=17074.0

sveakul

Perhaps you will get an answer on what .NET version is currently used.
I don't know if I_Tichy is already aware of this but according to the latest MusicBee.exe.config file:

supportedRuntime version="v4.0" sku=".NETFramework,Version=v4.8"

I_Tichy

The OP has not given any information whatsoever on how he is (trying) to use MusicBee on Linux (or what distribution), nor what emulator he is using, nor what issues he may be experiencing.
So we probably shouldn't care too much. As a dartboard guess: maybe this one?:
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=17074.0

Not terribly interested in WINE, I was more interested if the new .NET upgrades might allow for easier native implementation, but I guess I took too long to respond.

hiccup

Not terribly interested in WINE, I was more interested if the new .NET upgrades might allow for easier native implementation, but I guess I took too long to respond.
That makes no sense to me.
Are you saying that Linux is able to natively run Windows programs, depending on .NET versions used?

I_Tichy

That makes no sense to me.
Are you saying that Linux is able to natively run Windows programs, depending on .NET versions used?

Not quite, I was saying that .NET is adding more and more support for building applications that work on linux (i.e. cross-platform development):

The .NET Framework technology has been part of the Windows platform since the NT 4.0/XP era, providing developers with an integrated environment (class library, language interoperability, runtime/execution engine) to write Windows-specific applications easily. The environment has been now replaced by .NET (Core), which is a cross-platform technology supporting all the major desktop and mobile operating systems available today.

Furthermore, the .NET MAUI (Multi-platform App UI) SDK can help build cross-platform mobile and desktop applications from the same codebase.
Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 04:35:45 PM by I_Tichy