Author Topic: Not playing  (Read 4071 times)

BeeBeeKing

Having a small problem with our overnight jukebox at the radio station.
We have it set to open automatically (and with the commandline to open playerLocked and in Auto DJ mode)when the laptop starts.
Normally we just press play button and away it goes. Lately sometimes when you press play it changes to the pause symbol but nothing plays and progress bar does not move. Usually restarting the program will fix it. Using windows 10.
Can you suggest what i might check to see what could be causing this. we use an external usb soundcard to play. last night I tried the windows test tone and it did not play, but shortly after that the problem went away. it's lamost as if the souncard was not being found, but there was no indication of this.

Alumni

Hi, when you say external USB soundcard do you mean a DAC? Did you install the firmware it came with (assuming it has firmware)?
One thing worth checking is the device manager in Windows, look under USB devices and see if the soundcard is recognized.
Another thing to try - go to Windows playback devices and disable everything apart from the soundcard, also disable Windows sound effects.
When you're running MusicBee, what playback mode are you using, DirectSound, WASAPI, etc.? Whatever the case, try each of them to see if it helps.

BeeBeeKing

thanks, i've tried most of those, but did disable the internal soundcard. reloaded usb drivers, as we have had other sound devices that had their drivers screwed up in the change to Win 10. Using Directsound. Can't replicate it now, so we'll see how that goes for next few nights.

BeeBeeKing

Tried Wasapi but that didn't fix it. Would the computer require a restart to go from Directsound to WASAPI?
As I say, starting in Auto DJ and pressing the play button doesn't start playing.
Should I try deleting history and library file or something? Could there be a problem with Directsound in WIN 10?

Has worked fine for almost a year, only thing that has changed is we upgraded to Windows 10.
i s a reinstall of MB worth trying? i did update to the latest build, should I go back a build or two?

Any more ideas welcome.

Alumni

Switching between sound mixers doesn't require a restart. Are you currently using the v3.0 beta of MusicBee? If not it might be worth a try.

BeeBeeKing

Thanks, Have been holding off on v3 as we rely on it overnight every night at the radio station, so can't afford to have any bugs. Will download it and have a look though at this stage.. Windows 10 is getting the blame at this stage, but who knows.

Alumni

The beta is stable enough that I use it everyday without crashes or other serious bugs.
Do you mean to say that playback is only troublesome when using Auto DJ? Or is it all the time?

BeeBeeKing

Ok I think I've possibly found the cause of the Auto DJ instability.
We wanted to start MBee in Auto DJ mode and have it locked, preferably without a password.

So in the Start menu we added the following two commands as follows:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\MusicBee\MusicBee.exe" /OpenMainPlayerLocked /StartAutoDj

While it does both of those things, starts locked and enables Auto DJ, it also seems to cause some instability.
Such as not being able to remember the amount of tracks in Now Playing view and also starts a different list of tracks each time in Now Playing, regardless of the settings enabled in MBee Preferences. And it seems, sometimes the play button won't work.

My question is now, is it possible that we :
1. Should have a different separator between the two commands (currently a space)
2. And is MBee capable of being started with those two commands together.
For now we are just starting it with OpenMainPlayerLocked and it seems to be stable.

Any comments or observations appreciated.

BeeBeeKing

just thought maybe this has been missed, any ideas re last paragraph?

Steven

• Administrator
spacing is the correct separator and MB should be able to handle both parameters at the same time.
you could try v3 to see if it works better and can always go back to using v2.5 without re-installation