Author Topic: TAG MAPPING (aaaah) and Musicbee forces id3 custom tags as capitol letters  (Read 2658 times)

pumalife

Hi i use picard to tag my mp3 id3v2.4 utf8. i use plugin last.fm.ng to pull last fm tags from the cloud and put them into the following fields
grouping
genre
albumgrouping
albumgenre
occassion
category
decade
mood
albummood

its really quite brilliant. some of these fields are custom fields some are standard id3 fields.

however im noticing some discrepency with how tags (at least id3) are read and written. Music bee reads the tags fine. when i setup the custom tag, it forces the custom tag (.id3) definition to be all capitol letters and will save as such when writes to tags occur. so when i reload my files back into picard, all the custom tag fields (not genre, grouping, mood as they are standard) above are ALL CAPS. i learned the hard way: i then changed the config file in picard lastfmng: ALL of the above tags fields were now capitalized, then i realized that say picard was now writing GROUPING as "GROUPING" and not CONTENT GROUP: "TIT1".

jeez. i dont know where to go with this. Tag mapping is so freaking annoying right now. some programs seem case sensitive, others dont.
I have struggled to find a clear source of in that explains all this tag mapping stuff, every program has its own tag mapping definitions,

Where do i find a id3 tag viewer that displays the actual tag names. TIT1 for id3 instead of 'content group' or 'grouping'? everytag viewing program i find seems to have somthing that sucks about it. mp3tag, does show the actual tag codes. so i didnt realize there was a difference between MOOD and MOOD as it displays all tags as capitol. musicbee tag inspector seems to be the clearest, but id like a stand alone program.

what is the deal with capitalization for tags? case senstive behavior for reading and writing tags?

why is music bee force capitalizing all my custom tags for the id3 code?
Music bee may have some bugs in the custom tag definition window. I found many anomolies how tags are displayed.
what is the difference between albumgenre and TXXX/albumgenre?

oh boy.
sorry for all the typos and rambling. hopefully i can get some awnsers all the best yall.

Thank You,
Colin

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
The capitalization thing is definitely an irritation when working with Picard and MB.  It seems to be less of a problem lately, but still comes up for me.

As for the tag mapping, though, both MusicBee and Picard have good charts available of tag mappings, including different formats. MusicBee's is on the wiki.  You can find a link to Picard's in the past I made about working with Picard (in the beyond MusicBee section)
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)