Author Topic: Epiphany: MusicBee is what Songbird ...  (Read 8688 times)

PSU_Strummer

disclaimer: PSU_Strummer contains mature content some viewers may find offensive.

MusicBee is what Songbird wanted to be. But, Songbird doesn't work. Songbird sounds like crap: I've said it before, it's a Firefox extension that wants to be a music player, built by people someone who doesn't listen to music, and thus lacks the regular functionality which audiophiles seek. MusicBee, on the other hand, sounds and works as an audiophile might expect-- great-- straight from the box. BASS.DLL baby... aww yeah! Songbird takes forever to do anything, not to mention-- it crashes-- while doing it! But, look at that damn 'bird community! Why do people flock to support it? Is it because everyone-and-their-brother can rewrite some stolen javascript as XUL, to bandwagon to panhandle donations, by submitting some junk add-on to link off-site to their own web site? It can't be because it sounds good, and works well. It just doesn't make sense. The speculation points toward the former-- the ability to develop for it-- the “hack-on-this everyone, why don't you” call to all, which invites so many to believe it's a solid nesting place for... uh... music?

Anyway-- enough Songbird bashing. I shouldn't do that. I'm sorry. But, I'm trying to make a point. I believe there is beauty in the fact that MusicBee is not inviting the same sort of open participation in development. Why? Because everyone is not a developer. So, I've established something of a comparison. Where am I going with this? What are the facts, or rather... what are the points of the argument?

PROS N CONS:
Songbird
  • pro: community thrives on satisfaction, not unlike that which perpetuates the “NIH Syndrome”. Users are satisfied to use something they've so-called built.
  • con: “constant... over... stimulation” [M.Keenan] There's too much going on, all over the place. It is not focused on the suggested purpose: to be a fine media player
  • ...and it goes on. this isn't a 'bird forum. okay.
MusicBee
  • pro: BASS.DLL
  • pro: what you see is what you get-- no need to search around through endless lists of garbage add-ons, hoping to find something to make it sound or function-- in some way-- better than it does on installation
  • pro: there is no urgency presented to the User that he or she must add-on to it, in order to be a member of the community; in order to use it; in order to enjoy it; to do what it is supposed to do: play music well
  • pro: it's fast, and it doesn't crash. it just works
  • cons: i can't think of any. i haven't found any yet (granted, this is a biased argument, i suppose, but hey-- isn't that the reason you're reading it?)

Now that some argument has been laid-out, what do we do with the propaganda spewing from 'tween but his cheeks?

I forgot for a minute-- but I  remember now: Here's what I was thinking. There appears to be a browser built-in to MusicBee. Perhaps the facility exists already, and I haven't figured out how to do it, or maybe it's just not there.

I was thinking it would be cool to be able to do some browsing from within MusicBee. Now I know that's not the point of an audio-player, necessarily, however-- i've added a custom URL to the tab selections available in the main panel area-- so, not only can I look at the artist-bio bit, as built-in, but I have it going to last.fm/music/<Artist> as well, and I-- yeah, the guy bitching about security-- logged into his Last.Fm account through that separate interface. Why? I dunno-- but it seems i can consume additional stimulation that way. haha... but, the point is-- it's limited, presently. I'm middle-clicking on stuff from force-of-habit. Nothing happens. That was the inspiration for posting another manifesto. I guess that's all. chew on that, if you will. “Hey-- who's the barber here!?” uh... not me.

my apologies to anyone who takes offense to this argument, or the rhetoric herein
Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 08:42:34 PM by PSU_Strummer

Maleko12

This is a nice (and biased, but it IS a MB forum) post. Every time I read a PSU_Strummer post, you know you're in for a treat.

Steven

• Administrator
songbird must be doing something right as its easily the most popular player on alternativeto.net

thegreyspot

Haha Great post!

Songbird does so well cause it "sounds" like a great program. (extensions, themes, blah blah) So people just vote on it, but once you used it for a week, u just feel "ehh". Also Lifehacker and other sites like download squad hype it alot.
We just really need people to vote for MusicBee on Alternativeto. http://alternativeto.net/desktop/musicbee/

Elberet

People nowadays judge software by looking at a feature matrix.

Does it support custom decoders?
Does it support DSP plugins?
Does it support other kinds of plugins?
Can you customize the UI look'n'feel?
Can you create custom UI content?
Does it brew your coffee?
Does it wash your socks?

The really important questions, if it actually works, if it does the job you expect it to do, if its core features are even complete -- those get bunched up, ticked off and ignored, because -- oh, look! That one's got more green checkmarks in its column, so it must be better! more shiny!

lynott

Maybe there should be a subforum where user can upload their screens? A picture tells more than a thousand words, and there are so many GUI possibilities with this player :) It's easier to get future MB users interested if they can see what it might look like. For sound quality they would have to install off course :)

ild2

I think Songbird has very professional presentation all around (Website, Interface) and got a lot of media attention due to it "the Firefox of Media" approach. They also position themselves agressively as an iTunes alternative, which is what a lot of people are looking for. If you look at the comments for Songbird on alternativeto they are generally very negative though.

How comes Musicbee has almost no likes on alternativeto? It barely has more than musikcube - which has not been maintained for years and is quite buggy. I think to get Musicbee more popular (if that's the aim) first thing would be to revamp the website.
Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 04:22:24 PM by ild2

Debby747

MusicBee isn't hard to find though...

I don't care much for this whole Web 2.0 social "tell your friends / add me / digg it / like it" stuff.
I looked for a MediaMonkey replacement and found it within an hour of downloading and trying out different softwares,
just as Google and Wikipedia brought them up.

And nowadays MB's presence in the net is even bigger than it was back then.
Maybe it doesn't appeal to all people but that doesn't mean MB has to change by trying!

I stand by that MusicBee's clear design in webpage/software appears more attractive and professional than anything else I've seen and tried.
And:

It - just - works. You can't beat that!

Add to it a wonderful developer, listening to his users and implementing feature requests with foresight and speed.

Cheers
D.

MartinK

I think that the web site is great.  Clear and precise.  The only thing that MB could do with is a bit more presence on the web.  MB was about the 4th or 5th programme I tried out.  It's on;y because the others didn't quite do what I wanted that I continued searching.

Elberet

Quote from: Debby747
I don't care much for this whole Web 2.0 social "tell your friends / add me / digg it / like it" stuff.

Where can I "like" that statement?

Wait. Nevermind. ;D

MacLone

SONGBIRD WAS... a great idea. A full browser with the music player/list facility. The other great thing songbird had was the multiplatform development. I could use songbird on Linux, Mac and windows. The problem with "them" started at the code itself being a BIG BUG the size of America. They thrown away the Linux version... and the mac and windows version are almost useless for me because they fix a hundred bugs and creates 200 more. I'm tired of it. THEN... i found MusicBee. God, this is what clean and spectacular coding means. Its sounds excelent, no show stopping bugs, full control and great configuration. For me THIS IS THE FIRST TIME EVER i see a coder do his program based on people's wishes. A one man proyect?... that's incredible.
I wish someday i could see MusicBee for Mac and Linux.
Thanks Steven