Author Topic: Syncing from external media  (Read 4234 times)

zyeri

How can I set up musicbee to sync a directory from an external device to my hard drive, and import the tracks to the library? I'm able to sync to the drive, but I can't find any options sync how I'd like it to.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hi, welcome the forum!

Have you tried importing tracks from the device to your library, and creating a Virtual Device for syncing on your computer?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

zyeri

Hi, welcome the forum!

Thanks!

Have you tried importing tracks from the device to your library, and creating a Virtual Device for syncing on your computer?

Yes, I added the external drive as a Virtual Device and configured it for syncing, but nothing would happen when I told MusicBee to sync.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator

Yes, I added the external drive as a Virtual Device and configured it for syncing, but nothing would happen when I told MusicBee to sync.

I mean a Virtual Device on the computer.  Does the device you're trying to sync from have a drive letter in Windows?  Can you configure it to have a drive letter?  (I used to connect a phone as a USB device and use it as my main library, so I know it can be done.)
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

zyeri

Ah, right. Yes, the drive I'm trying to sync from has a drive letter (G:\).

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
In that case, add whatever folder in G: contains your music to the library (using File > Scan Folders for New Files).

Then make a Virtual Device where you want the files to end up, and sync to there.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

zyeri

A Virtual Drive under Windows, or MusicBee?

Also, if the library is contained on the external drive, will MusicBee use the locally stored copies (under the Virtual Drive), or will I need to change the library location each time?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
A Virtual Drive under Windows, or MusicBee?

Also, if the library is contained on the external drive, will MusicBee use the locally stored copies (under the Virtual Drive), or will I need to change the library location each time?

A virtual device, which you can create in MB in Preferences > Devices.

Once you've added files to your library, they will be in your library unless the path changes (for instance, if it comes up with a different drive letter you would need to use Remap Folders to redirect MB's links).

Once the files are on the computer, you can add them to your library if you want, but they will show up as duplicates of the files on the other device.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

hiccup

Might another way to accomplish this be to assign a fixed drive letter to smartphone?

(googling for something like "How to Assign a Permanent Drive Letter to Removable Media in Windows 10" will probably explain how to do that)