Author Topic: 64 bit installation downloads  (Read 20051 times)

wthit56

I can't for the life of me figure out where to download the 64-bit version of Musicbee (Windows 10 version in particular). Not even on the many download sites. Every download seems to be the exact same installation file, and nothing with 64-bit on it. The Task Manager shows MusicBee as being 32 bit, also.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

hiccup

There is no dedicated x64 version of MusicBee, and far as I know there is no need for it.
Why would you want it?

wthit56

Because my operating system is 64-bit? The MusicBee docs and FAQs do mention the existence of 32-bit and 64-bit versions, so I presume they do exist... somewhere.

hiccup

Can you supply the links to these "MusicBee docs and FAQs" you mention?

Your question is of course legitimate. But at this moment in time, x86 software will run perfectly on Windows x64.

Have a look at your C:\Program Files (x86) folder.
I would be very surprised if there are not a lot of entries from lots of programs, all running 'under x86' perfectly.

A reason for sometimes even deliberately using the x86 version instead of the x64 version of a program is that some add-ons or plugins for that program simply won't work under x64. (Adobe Photoshop, MediaPlayer Classic, etc.)

Until only very recently, for many years even Microsofts own advice was to use it's Microsoft Office software in the x86 version on Windows x64.
The x64 version was not preferred, nor advised.

For some software using very large amounts of memory (e.g. video), or perhaps for security reasons x64 might have advantages, but for most software at this moment I believe there is hardly any need or advantage to have an x64 version running.

Just google for some wordings such as "32 bit vs 64 bit software" and you'll get lots of useful information on this subject.

And again, please post (or preferably PM me) the links. I can't imagine they are legit.

wthit56

Citations: MusicBee Wikia FAQ, MusicBee lo4d description
Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 05:53:44 PM by wthit56

wthit56

Thanks for explaining 64/32 bit. Sounds reasonable. I'm just trying to optimise my software, as I'm having some memory/disc-reading issues now and then. Just thought it might be worth a try.

hiccup

You're welcome wtit56

The first link is legitimate. It is MusicBee's wikia where many things about MusicBee are explained and presented in an organized manner.
The second one is a website I am not familiar with, and I am sure the creator of MusicBee has no affiliations whatsoever with.

By the way, both only say that MusicBee is compatible with, and will run under both Window x86 and x64.

The confusing part may be that the unfamiliar website at the bottom states something like "a 64 bits version may be available".
Well, it isn't.

Would you do me a favor, and please remove the link to that website from your post?

The only download reference for MusicBee should be coming from the genuine MusicBee website.
(or this forum of course)

wthit56

Cool. That makes sense.

I've removed those links for you. Thanks for your help!

hiccup

Thank you too!
This can also help others who have the same questions and considerations.
This hopefully cleared that up.