Author Topic: Pop/click when starting or changing tracks  (Read 4401 times)

bitfidelity

This doesn't happen all the time, but it occurs very frequently. There is usually a pop or click whenever I double click a track to begin playing it or while another track is playing. This never occurs when a track starts naturally in a playlist and happens regardless of whether I'm using DirectSound, WASAPI, or ASIO. Is anyone else getting this?

MechTa

I know this happens in my setup but it is due to my SPDIF connected DAC. I think it has some sort of standby function, so it pops when it starts an audio sometimes.  ;)

hiccup

I experience the same as bitfidelity discribes.
I used to think my usb audio interface could be the culprit, but I checked, and it doesn't happen with another player (foobar).
So it might perhaps be related to the BASS engine MusicBee is using.

Steven

• Administrator
This doesn't happen all the time, but it occurs very frequently. There is usually a pop or click whenever I double click a track to begin playing it or while another track is playing. This never occurs when a track starts naturally in a playlist and happens regardless of whether I'm using DirectSound, WASAPI, or ASIO. Is anyone else getting this?
is it only when another track is playing?
and does it only happen with tracks that have significant replay gain volume values?

bitfidelity

Yes, it only occurs when something is playing. I usually hear a pop or click if I hit stop, double click on another track, or seek to another section of the track. I used to think that these pops or clicks were a natural result of interrupting a track, but now I'm not so sure.

Steven

• Administrator
in that case it sounds like MB needs to fade stopping the current track rather than immediately halting it.
I will only made any change to v3 though

Steven

• Administrator
i am just looking at this now and it turns out i have already made the change i was going to make for v3, so could you try that to confirm it works ok?

http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=15050.0

you can go back to using v2.5 afterwards without installing anything again and using v3 wont change any v2.5 settings

hiccup

On my system the click is still there, unless I check both 'crossfade tracks' and 'smoothfade when stopping'.
I am assuming you are looking for a fix that also works without these two set active?

Steven

• Administrator

hiccup

yes 'smoothfade when stopping' needs to be ticked

Wouldn't it be better to have the last couple of milliseconds muted always when skipping a track, irrespective of what is set in the configuration settings?

I believe users experiencing these clicks shouldn't need to search and try to find a solution in this manner.
Or do you see negatives in having that as a default?

hiccup

it is the default

Both 'crossfade tracks' and 'smoothfade' activated?
I won't push this further, but I strongly feel it would be better if this clicking issue could be solved without being dependent on those two settings.

Steven

• Administrator
only smooth fade is required. However when this setting is not enabled i have now put in a very small fade when starting a new track while an existing one is playing