Author Topic: Synchronize playing music between different computers  (Read 2451 times)

trax72

Hi,

Is there a way to synchronize the music that is *currently playing* on MusicBee between different computer on the same network?

I tried to do it with TeamViewer (which can transfer the audio to the remote computer) but it causes a delay in the music, making it unusable if you can hear both audio outputs at the same time.

Best regards,
Tal.

hiccup

That would indeed be very nice to have, but I am not aware of any way to accomplish that directly with MusicBee.

What you might try (but it's a lot of work and not for the faint of heart) is try accomplish something like this through Logitech Media Server.
Logitech has their Squeezebox (hardware) players which can be easily synced to each other over a network.
When you don't have their hardware, you can install software Squeezbox players instead (called softsqueeze if I am not mistaken)
You should be able to get them playing synchronous over a network as a standard feature, using Logitech Media Server as the library.

The part where MusicBee could still play a (minor) role in such a setup would be if you would configure your local softsqueeze player as a tool in MusicBee, then you could send any track in MusicBee to the softsqueeze player(s).

I can't vouch for 100% this would work, since I am using hardware Squeezeboxes myself, but it might be worth a try.

edit,
A quick google search found that this might work better with 'SqueezePlay' instead of 'Softsqueeze', but you'll have to do some googling yourself before you decide to go this road.

edit2:
Just tried this out for fun myself. It is working. But for now I can't get MusicBee playing a role in this setup.
I can't get LMS getting to play from within MusicBee.
Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 01:27:34 PM by hiccup

trax72

Shame, I love MusicBee as my player... wish to keep it that way.

If there was some app that you could define as an audio output and then it would play audio synchronized through several computers it would basically solve this for every player... I doubt this exists though, but I'll try to find something. I'll update here if I find anything.

hiccup

If there was some app that you could define as an audio output and then it would play audio synchronized through several computers it would basically solve this for every player... I doubt this exists though, but I'll try to find something. I'll update here if I find anything.

Please do.