Author Topic: [WEBSITE v2] MusicBee website and forum redesign  (Read 551851 times)

hiccup

hiccup

There are no functional differences, but there are reasons to choose one or the other. Those reasons could be explained to new users who are new to the phenomenon of 'portable installation'
Also, differences between installer and portable can be experienced in relation to:
Windows 'protecting' it's system drive, administrator rights (enabling MB in context menu's), virus scanners, etc.
It would be good to summarize that in an understandable manner somewhere.
Yes, but we're trying to keep this description to under 30 words.
Maybe the words "differences between these versions (or editions)" and either hover for a pop-up or link to a simple chart.

I'm not sure I could explain the above in 30 words, or in a simple chart.
As a native English speaker, maybe you can give it a try?

phred

• Global Moderator
well here is the latest screenshot:

a) I still think XP should be included in the list of operating systems.  MB -does- work under XP.
b) Under "Portable Version:
   This version can be installed in other locations, such as another partition or USB drive.  (Get rip of the second comma)
c) Under "Get Portable Version:"
   Change "Confused..." to Which version should I use?
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

AvikB

okay i actually like the "Edition" better instead of "Version".

here is the summery i put in there

as benefits already mentioned under the headlines, i decided to use some general info for user.

AvikB

well here is the latest screenshot:

a) I still think XP should be included in the list of operating systems.  MB -does- work under XP.
b) Under "Portable Version:
   This version can be installed in other locations, such as another partition or USB drive.  (Get rip of the second comma)
c) Under "Get Portable Version:"
   Change "Confused..." to Which version should I use?

thanks updated :)

phred

• Global Moderator
okay i actually like the "Edition" better instead of "Version".

here is the summery i put in there

as benefits already mentioned under the headlines, i decided to use some general info for user.
There is no functional difference between the Installer and the Portable Editions.

The Installer Edition can not be moved to another location and you may need to Run as Administrator.  The Portable Edition is installed to the location of your choice - a different partition or even a USB drive.

Now that I'm looking at this again, is the popup even needed?  It's just restating what's already there under each version/edition.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

hiccup

Maybe the words "differences between these versions (or editions)" and either hover for a pop-up or link to a simple chart.

Ah well, let nobody call me lazy. here's a kick-off to work from:

Most users will want to install the Installer Edition.

Reasons to choose for the Portable Edition:
- When you have no user rights to install MusicBee on the Windows system drive
- When you don't want MusicBee writing any files or folders to your Windows system drive
- When you are using antivirus software that over-aggressively protects the Windows folders
- When you want to install a portable version of MusicBee besides the version already installed on your system drive. Be warned, only do this when you are fully aware of possible risks on the integrity of your MusicBee library.
- When you want to have MusicBee running from a USB drive, and so also being able to take it with you and use it on other Windows computers

hiccup

I agree in principle, but you could argue against it that Microsoft themselves don't support XP anymore.
Should MusicBee then? In case of possible problems in the future?

Also (but this is where Steven will have to chip in), the working of MB depends on .NET
I am pretty sure XP won't have the correct version integrated out-of-the-box.

Maybe MusicBee v3 even has other requisites on .NET then v2.x?

AvikB

Most users will want to install the Installer Edition.

- When you have no user rights to install MusicBee on the Windows system drive
- When you don't want MusicBee writing any files or folders to your Windows system drive
- When you are using antivirus software that over-aggressively protects the Windows folders
- When you want to install a portable version of MusicBee besides the version already installed on your system drive. Be warned, only do this when you are fully aware of possible risks on the integrity of your MusicBee library.
- When you want to have MusicBee running from a USB drive, and so also being able to take it with you and use it on other Windows computers

i have made a simpler version of what you wrote, since all that is not possible in that small box.

i did removed two points, as it probably is not that important.

phred

• Global Moderator

Most users will want to download and use the Installer Edition.

- If you have no user rights to install MusicBee on the Windows system drivered.
- If you don't want MusicBee creating any files or folders to your Windows system drivered.
- If you are using antivirus software that over-aggressively protects the Windows foldersred.
- If you want to install a portable version of MusicBee besides the version already installed on your system drive. Be warned, only do this when you are fully aware of possible risks on the integrity of your MusicBee library.
- If you want to have MusicBee running from a USB drive and also be able to take it with you and use it on other Windows computers.
This is what happens when I'm working six to 10 hours behind you guys.   :)  I'm trying to catch up but it's a moving target!!!  See my changes in red in the above quote.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

hiccup

There is no functional difference between the Installer and the Portable Editions.

If 'editions' become plural, shouldn't it also become: 'there are no functional differences'?

phred

• Global Moderator
i have made a simpler version of what you wrote, since all that is not possible in that small box.

Excellent.  I suggest removing the blank line between "Reasons to choose..." and the first point.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

AvikB

Okay i need to clear few things.

Steven will be able to change that. I made it possible to do so in the admin panel. The screenshot only reflects the test scenario.

here is the admin board:

phred

• Global Moderator

If 'editions' become plural, shouldn't it also become: 'there are no functional differences'?

I'm not 100% certain on this one. I could ask my professional Copy Editor wife when she comes home but isn't this line moot at this point?

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

AvikB

Excellent.  I suggest removing the blank line between "Reasons to choose..." and the first point.

done. also i am making this last change MOSTLY the final.

@phred, i will probably send you the download page files for a correction tomorrow.
also thanks for those great suggestion @hiccup :)

good night.