Author Topic: [WEBSITE v2] MusicBee website and forum redesign  (Read 551680 times)

AvikB

And, if I understand correctly, there are not going to be items as alpha, nightly, pre-release, etc.

So we keep having the already familiar 'latest patch'.
Shouldn't that be on the download page too then?

As patch updates are way too frequent, also at the end of those patches there are Musicbee x Update x, which generally contain all of those fixes. So no point.

AvikB

It might be good to add a link such as: "which version to choose", explaining the differences between installer en portable in more detail.
That will also help to prevent the often recurring question on the forum about that.

Good, idea. But instead of link, i will add a popup which will open on mouse hover. Here is what i did:

also can you guys provide some description to put in that popup. I am clearly out of idea of what to include there??

hiccup

also can you guys provide some description to put in that popup. I am clearly out of idea of what to include there??

I will make a draft for that. How much text will fit there?

AvikB

Make it short and brief, MAYBE under 30 words or less. less is always better as i highly doubt user will read LONG descriptions!

hiccup

Well yes that section has different layout and color, but it matches the layout perfectly. As for new user there is one BIG warning sign and a text in BOLD warning users, even after that if they download it, well nothing can stop them :/

That's kind of why I was bringing this up. It is big and bold.
This Beta stuff is taking up a very big part of the whole page, while I feel the focus there should be on the stable versions.

Also, is it confirmed that there actually will be downloadable, installable Beta version that will require all this space?
(apologies if I haven't followed the comments about that too well)

As for explaining i HIGHLY doubt steven would wan't that for beta releases.

By explaining, I didn't mean the ins-and-outs and details of a current and specific beta release.
I meant only explaining that beta = pre-relase, unstable, own risk, blablabla

at this point the download page is pretty much final, there won't be any major layout change. I also did change the headline and others you mentioned.

Great, Ill shut up until the next round ;-)

hiccup

Make it short and brief, MAYBE under 30 words or less. less is always better as i highly doubt user will read LONG descriptions!

installer edition:
This version will install MusicBee on the Windows system drive.

portable edition:
This version gives you the option to install MusicBee in a location or on a USB drive of your own choosing.

The only thing still missing then, which is being asked on the forum regularly, is if there are functional differences between these two.
Do you have a suggestion where that could be explained?

phred

• Global Moderator

installer edition:

portable edition:
This version gives you the option to install MusicBee in a location or on a USB drive of your own choosing.
Remove [installer edition:]
Replace with:
Installer Version:
There is no functional difference between this and the portable version.

Remove [portable edition:]
Replace with:
Portable Version:
This version gives you the option to install MusicBee in the location of your choice or on a USB drive.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

AvikB

Well yes that section has different layout and color, but it matches the layout perfectly. As for new user there is one BIG warning sign and a text in BOLD warning users, even after that if they download it, well nothing can stop them :/

That's kind of why I was bringing this up. It is big and bold.
This Beta stuff is taking up a very big part of the whole page, while I feel the focus there should be on the stable versions.

Also, is it confirmed that there actually will be downloadable, installable Beta version that will require all this space?
(apologies if I haven't followed the comments about that too well)
I put the focus on both, People will download what they like. I am sure most people will stay away from the beta since the warning sign and the bold warning text are enough. I don't see any reason to split them up in different pages.

i don't get the "downloadable and installable" part. The beta will only contain incremental release and need previous stable release. OFC Steven will mention it in that yellow box, he can add any warning or info note he likes, i made it flexible ;)

As for explaining i HIGHLY doubt steven would wan't that for beta releases.

By explaining, I didn't mean the ins-and-outs and details of a current and specific beta release.
I meant only explaining that beta = pre-relase, unstable, own risk, blablabla
That yellow box in the beta section will have those warning. Steven will be able to update it as often as needed.

at this point the download page is pretty much final, there won't be any major layout change. I also did change the headline and others you mentioned.

Great, Ill shut up until the next round ;-)

The next round is coming SOON, so be prepared :)

AvikB

installer edition:

portable edition:
Remove [installer edition:]
Replace with:
Installer Version:
There is no functional difference between this and the portable version.

Replace with:
Portable Version:
This version gives you the option to install MusicBee in the location of your choice or on a USB drive.

Thanks hiccup and phred.
@hiccup, the installer description you provided is already under the installer edition header. so no point in repeating, i like the phred's suggestion.
and thanks for those correction and suggestions :)

hiccup

Replace with:
Portable Version:

The buttons that AvikB created are also called Installer Edition, and Portable Edition. That's why I thought to be consistent in that.

There are no functional differences, but there are reasons to choose one or the other. Those reasons could be explained to new users who are new to the phenomenon of 'portable installation'

Also, differences between installer and portable can be experienced in relation to:
Windows 'protecting' it's system drive, administrator rights (enabling MB in context menu's), virus scanners, etc.

It would be good to summarize that in an understandable manner somewhere.

Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 08:21:23 PM by hiccup

hiccup

@hiccup, the installer description you provided is already under the installer edition header. so no point in repeating, i like the phred's suggestion.

I think we are having some confusion, and talking about some different things here.

From your screenshot, the button had the description:
This is a EXE or MSI file that can be installed in your system and may leave behaind some traces of the program even when uninstalled.

My suggestion for the pop-up was:

Never mind, you'll figure out what to do with that now.

AvikB

Replace with:
Portable Version:

The buttons that AvikB created are also called Installer Edition, and Portable Edition. That's why I thought to be consistent in that.

There are no functional differences, but there are reasons to choose one or the other. Those reasons could be explained to new users who are new to the phenomenon of 'portable installation'

Also, differences between installer and portable can be experienced in relation to:
Windows 'protecting' it's system drive, administrator rights (enabling MB in context menu's), virus scanners, etc.

i do agree, maybe we could fit all those summery in short for the installer version/or edition what ever you call it.

AvikB

I think we are having some confusion, and talking about some different things here.

From your screenshot, the button had the description:
This is a EXE or MSI file that can be installed in your system and may leave behaind some traces of the program even when uninstalled.

My suggestion for the pop-up was:

Never mind, you'll figure out what to do with that now.

well here is the latest screenshot:

i did changed those under the headline according to your suggestion. i guess i should have been a bit clear :S

hiccup

well here is the latest screenshot:
i did changed those under the headline according to your suggestion. i guess i should have been a bit clear :S

That looks good, so now you also didn't need the extra hover-over pop-up.

phred

• Global Moderator
Replace with:
Portable Version:

Understood.  It really makes no difference "edition" or "version." I saw "version in the text below it and, for consistency, made it version.  As long as they're all the same, either is fine.  Pick one and go with it.

Yes, but we're trying to keep this description to under 30 words.
Maybe the words "differences between these versions (or editions)" and either hover for a pop-up or link to a simple chart.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here