Author Topic: [WEBSITE v2] MusicBee website and forum redesign  (Read 551338 times)

hiccup

Don't worry it will be called MusicBee Beta, not nightly, and yes, i will look into that matter. I did consider the availability of beta releases, since steven won't deliver beta every week like now. I am planning to add some beta info into that Get MusicBee box.

I can't recall Steven often using specific terms as alpha, beta, nightly, pre-release etc.
That is completely his call of course, and he will surely have his reasons for that, but if we want to get this matter streamlined and organised, it would be very helpful to be able to decide on some consistent terminology here.

I wouldn't mind if alpha, nightly, latest release or pre-release would be the 'correct' wordings.
I would also be o.k. to call it something like 'BlackBee release', RedBee release', 'BabyBee' or whatever, but let's try to decide on something?

AvikB

Or, locate your 'Announcement' suggestion under 'general'.

GENERAL

Announcements             Child boards: MusicBee Release, MusicBee Pre-Release
Tips and Tricks
General Discussions       Child boards: Discussing MusicBee, Polls
MusicBee Wishlist
Beyond musicBee           Child boards: Related Interests, Rubbish Bin

MUSICBEE ADDONS
Customisations              Child boards: TheaterMode, Skins, Icons, Visualisers, Localisation, Showcase
Plugins

SUPPORT

Questions                   Child boards: Questions on MusicBee, Support in non-English languages only
Bug Reports
Developers                 Child boards: MusicBee API, Skins, TheaterMode

edit
'Tips and Tricks' could also go under 'Support', I have no strong opinion on that.

I like this :)

also since child boards are quite easy to miss for new user here what i have done, also some popular boards or boards that user might like will show as suggestion at the top. it is more like a quick access. It will show throughout the forum btw.

AvikB

Short is good.  There's an expression that goes something like this:  Keep it simple.  Why use five words when one will do?

There is already Addons on the menu, if user MISS THAT or probably never used it, thats why those colorful box and a nice heading to have their attention

AvikB

I can't recall Steven often using specific terms as alpha, beta, nightly, pre-release etc.
That is completely his call of course, and he will surely have his reasons for that, but if we want to get this matter streamlined and organised, it would be very helpful to be able to decide on some consistent terminology here.

I wouldn't mind if alpha, nightly, latest release or pre-release would be the 'correct' wordings.
I would also be o.k. to call it something like 'BlackBee release', RedBee release', 'BabyBee' or whatever, but let's try to decide on something?

Bbb...bbut if you call them anything else than beta then.... .. ...i used beta all over the place :O

hiccup

Bbb...bbut if you call them anything else than beta then....

And.... we have one vote for:   BaByBee!

hiccup

I recall Steven being sympathetic to a suggestion of having only one installer providing a choice to install 'full' or 'portable'.
If that is going to happen, you'll have to adjust accordingly.

AvikB

I recall Steven being sympathetic to a suggestion of having only one installer providing a choice to install 'full' or 'portable'.
If that is going to happen, you'll have to adjust accordingly.

That would be really nice. Well i will ask him, if he will introduce a single installer or not. I have to remove or add few things in download page then.

also can you make something clear for me:
1. since patches are incremental ONLY, are those patches the same for the portable installer! Do i need to provide a download link for the patches in the download page?
2. Does steven offers full patched version(installer with all musicbee files, PATCHED)? or just incremental patched files?

Steven

• Administrator
dont assume i will make a single installer - i probably will but it wouldnt be until some time early next year

for the releases
- there is a frequent patch zip file thats uploaded to the same location to fix bugs or sometimes introduce new features
- when the beta cycle starts, i create an installer for the incremental (changed) files only ie. it assumes you have the last stable version already installed
- at the end of the beta cycle, a release candidate installer is created that installs everything

AvikB

dont assume i will make a single installer - i probably will but it wouldnt be until some time early next year

for the releases
- there is a frequent patch zip file thats uploaded to the same location to fix bugs or sometimes introduce new features
- when the beta cycle starts, i create an installer for the incremental (changed) files only ie. it assumes you have the last stable version already installed
- at the end of the beta cycle, a release candidate installer is created that installs everything

Thanks for clearing that up. Can you suggest what download options should i include?
For the Beta i will change the download button name to reflect the "incremental change".

AvikB

Bbb...bbut if you call them anything else than beta then....

And.... we have one vote for:   BaByBee!
lol, i like it :)
also a good news for you.
With some latest modification the new site will load those EDGY fonts instantly.

hiccup

With some latest modification the new site will load those EDGY fonts instantly.

Nice, thank you!

hiccup

also since child boards are quite easy to miss for new user here what i have done, also some popular boards or boards that user might like will show as suggestion at the top. it is more like a quick access. It will show throughout the forum btw.

That's a good observation.
That has been in my subconscious too.
Looking at the current forum with my EDGY fonts, the italic child boards are not really jumping off the screen.
A different font or some highlighting color would probably already do some wonders there.

hiccup

for the releases:

Trying to categorize and explain these three to users, AvikB, and myself, would below suggestions work and be factual correct?
The question marks at the bottom yet need to be filled in.

name:
nightly patch

why:
to patch recently found issues

how:
download, extract files, copy and overwrite existing files in the existing installation folder

effects on present configuration and settings:
none

requisite:
a stable version must be installed

name:
beta installer

why:
to install a new beta version of MusicBee over an existing stable version

how:
download, extract, execute the installer

none (CONFIRM?)

requisite:

name:
release candidate

why:
to do a clean install of a MusicBee release candidate

how:

?

requisites:
?

AvikB

for the releases:

Trying to categorize and explain these three to users, AvikB, and myself, would below suggestions work and be factual correct?
The question marks at the bottom yet need to be filled in.

name:
nightly patch

why:
to patch recently found issues

how:
download, extract files, copy and overwrite existing files in the existing installation folder

none

requisite:

name:
beta installer

why:
to install a new beta version of MusicBee over an existing stable version

how:

none (CONFIRM?)

requisite:

name:
release candidate

why:
to do a clean install of a MusicBee release candidate

how:

?

requisites:
?

Nice! will read it tomorrow, getting really late for my sleep :)

hiccup

Nice! will read it tomorrow, getting really late for my sleep :)

Sleep well. Notice there are actually two 'nightly patches'.
A 'nightly patch for stable release' and a 'nightly patch for beta'. (or alpha, or demo)