Author Topic: [WEBSITE v2] MusicBee website and forum redesign  (Read 551746 times)

Alumni

I believe that the way at this moment the different versions, updates, patches, etc. are explained, are still confusing quite some users.

Speaking of patches, I wonder if it would be possible to introduce a 'ticket' system to the website, to make bug reporting a bit more efficient. I don't know what would be required in terms of programming, but it's just an idea anyway.

Here's an example of what I mean: https://trac.mpc-hc.org/ticket/2747

Steven

• Administrator
i wont agree to a ticketing system as then it becomes a job and not a hobby project

AvikB

Speaking of patches, I wonder if it would be possible to introduce a 'ticket' system to the website, to make bug reporting a bit more efficient. I don't know what would be required in terms of programming, but it's just an idea anyway.

Here's an example of what I mean: https://trac.mpc-hc.org/ticket/2747

well as steven said:
i wont agree to a ticketing system as then it becomes a job and not a hobby project

Despite that, i did look at trac, bugzilla, and some other bug tracking system. AND i don't like them. they are overly complicated, UGLY!, and i highly doubt most of them will play nice with SMF forum integration(either you need to create another account OR some code tweaking).

BUT i do like github issue tracking system. It is dead simple, beautiful and conversation is forum like structured. BUT it is not open sourced :(

As Steven pointed out managing ticket require some effort, and the current MusicBee site redesign is mainly to reduce effort for both Steven and Addon devs while also reducing effort of new users.

Here is what i think would work:
1. Dead Simple github style issue browsing
2. elegant and easy to use.
3. Forum login integration.
4. Support for issue status such as
                opened
                closed
                planned
                done
5. conversation between users and others.

The main problem is with each opened issue you have to close it(or done) when the issue is fixed. AND THAT IS ONE BIG PROBLEM! you have to keep track or browse through EVERY issue and mark it.

as now if user create a topic on the forum Steven replies to it and if the issue solved it is well else it either get planned for next release or planned for future or addon. BUT steven don't have to reply back WHEN that particular issue is fixed a week/month later. also you don't have to do CLOSE or PLANNED status.

hiccup

One of the reasons MusicBee has became as good as it is, and why this forum functions as well is it does, is that one person (Steven) decides, and makes good judgements on what to address and implement.

What a I often impressed about, is how members seem to understand how this wishing, and bug reporting system works here.
There is a torrent of those, and realistically far too much for one person.

How it seems to work here, is that most of the users understand (and are used to ;-) that they can throw almost anything at Steven, but are wise enough to understand when and why it is not fulfilled, or they don't even get a response.

Introducing a ticket system, in any which form of shape would take away that system and understanding.
So -1 from me.

phred

• Global Moderator
One of the reasons MusicBee has became as good as it is, and why this forum functions as well is it does, is that one person (Steven) decides, and makes good judgements on what to address and implement.

Introducing a ticket system, in any which form of shape would take away that system and understanding.
So -1 from me.
I too am against a ticket system and it's mostly a selfish reason.  Steven doesn't want it because this will then feel like a job and not a hobby.  I really, really want Steven to feel good about the work he's doing with MusicBee.  He has stated in the past that once MB starts feeling like a job (or work) he'll likely stop development.  And I would not to see that happen.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

phred

• Global Moderator
Here are some typos and my recommended changes based on the Addon Dashboard screenshot.

Addon Submission:
-If your rank is newbie ... to get people's attention

Step 1
-There are several types of Addons you can submit

Step 2
-Instead of "these are not optional" make it "All fields in this section are required" and drop the "you need to fill out everything"
-Short Description
   -Only text and numbers are allowed.
-Supported MB Version
   -Select the supported MusicBee version(s) for your ...
-Tags for your Addon
   -Try to use ONE word for each tag.  Each tag Must USE COMMA as a separator
   -Change You are only limited to use 10 tags maximum to You are limited to 10 tags.  No need to say anything else.

Step 3
-Instead of "these are not optional" make it "Required" and drop the "you need to fill out everything"
-Download link instructions are confusing.  Suggest it be changed to Direct uploads to this site are not supported.  Please use a third-party hosting site, such as MediaFire, ZippyShare, or Mega. Enter the URL here.   (I don't understand what you mean by "Also try to provide a direct download link"  If this refers to the link to the download from the third-party provider, then I don't think it's necessary to say that as this section is already asking for the link.)

The "learn more here" at the end of Step 3, and the "Click here to learn more" at the end of Step 4 should be worded the same.  Doesn't matter which one, but for consistency they should read the same.

There may be others, but that's what I noticed on my first two readings.

-
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Alumni

I too am against a ticket system and it's mostly a selfish reason.  Steven doesn't want it because this will then feel like a job and not a hobby.  I really, really want Steven to feel good about the work he's doing with MusicBee.  He has stated in the past that once MB starts feeling like a job (or work) he'll likely stop development.  And I would not to see that happen.

Fair enough. The casual atmosphere of MusicBee and its forum is the reason many of us are here, and that should continue.

Bigmelwalter

It's a unanimous decision then!!!!!

No ticketing system is needed. I agree with Steven.

Just waiting for a new forum update, possibly with a chatbox or some extra visual features.

AvikB

It's a unanimous decision then!!!!!

No ticketing system is needed. I agree with Steven.

Just waiting for a new forum update, possibly with a chatbox or some extra visual features.

sorry but no chatbox in the new forum :(
maybe we can open an IRC Chatroom for MusicBee!

AvikB

The new Forum theme is almost ready! took me really short time.

i have added some box at the top, they will only show on the forum homepage. This will help forum members to get a glance of the latest musicbee version without going to download page or at the bottom of the page.

hiccup

Great work again AvikB!

I hate to rain on this marvelous party, but I am realizing a very big drawback of this beautiful design concept.
With the current forum landing page, you have a clean overview of all the boards topics in one view. No need for scrolling to find out what other boards there are.besides the ones that are in view initially.

When I was checking out other fora to get some ideas for our new forum, that was also one of the things I felt many fora got wrong.
Many don't have a clean landing page with only, and all the main boards in view. Either there are to many which make it confusing, or as the current concept, you have to do scrolling up and down before you know wich one to choose.

I know the world, and especially tablet and smartphone users have become sort of addicted to scrolling and swiping. It's of course much more functional there, and the experience is kind of 'fun'.

But behind a desktop PC, I feel it should be avoided as much as possible.

Do you think you could do your magic with the great look and feel you are creating already, whilst keeping the practical and good overview the current forum has?

In my opinion the website can have lots of eye-candy (even though I personally would like the home page to be sort of 'spartan'), but the forum I surely would prefer to be as much as possible about the content, without too much visual and interface distractions.

AvikB

Great work again AvikB!

I hate to rain on this marvelous party, but I am realizing a very big drawback of this beautiful design concept.
With the current forum landing page, you have a clean overview of all the boards topics in one view. No need for scrolling to find out what other boards there are.besides the ones that are in view initially.

When I was checking out other fora to get some ideas for our new forum, that was also one of the things I felt many fora got wrong.
Many don't have a clean landing page with only, and all the main boards in view. Either there are to many which make it confusing, or as the current concept, you have to do scrolling up and down before you know wich one to choose.

I know the world, and especially tablet and smartphone users have become sort of addicted to scrolling and swiping. It's of course much more functional there, and the experience is kind of 'fun'.

But behind a desktop PC, I feel it should be avoided as much as possible.

Do you think you could do your magic with the great look and feel you are creating already, whilst keeping the practical and good overview the current forum has?

In my opinion the website can have lots of eye-candy (even though I personally would like the home page to be sort of 'spartan'), but the forum I surely would prefer to be as much as possible about the content, without too much visual and interface distractions.

Thanks, it is also getting quite bit annoying for me to scroll the forum. :S
I am planning on moving those big boxes to the side (since MOST monitor has wider width then height).
also reducing the spacing a bit. the current one is spaced out too much

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
Glad that you recycled the honeycomb background.  I think it looks great  :)

I assume that clicking on the coloured squares will take you to the appropriate forum section, so a suggestion for a minor layout change.

* Removed the number from 'Latest MusicBee' on blue panel as you have the version number on the there as well
* not sure you would need "Questions" board under Support as most questions get asked (currently) under "General" - unless, of course, you are trying to separate general comments from questions.

EDIT
I have no problem with scrolling with this layout as the most used forum areas are at the top
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

AvikB

Great work again AvikB!

o you think you could do your magic with the great look and feel you are creating already, whilst keeping the practical and good overview the current forum has?

Ok, a new update. how about these:

i have reduced those monstrous spacing (reminds me on windows 8 apps :P), and there is a sidebar now. i can put a recent post list there. also some boards needs to get merged, cause even with reducing spacing, there are 4 categories and 12 boards. maybe reducing to 9-10 board should be enough.

Glad that you recycled the honeycomb background.  I think it looks great  :)
Well yeah, thanks for the suggestion you gave me. :) i will also add this honey comb to some other area in future.

I assume that clicking on the coloured squares will take you to the appropriate forum section, so a suggestion for a minor layout change.
* Removed the number from 'Latest MusicBee' on blue panel as you have the version number on the there as well
fixed in the next update.

* not sure you would need "Questions" board under Support as most questions get asked (currently) under "General" - unless, of course, you are trying to separate general comments from questions.
Yes, question will have a separate section. as right now, almost EVERYTHING from site update announcement to discussion to asking question is done in ONE thread. and it is a mess. thats why a question board is needed. General area will be used for discussion and other stuff.

EDIT
I have no problem with scrolling with this layout as the most used forum areas are at the top
the problem would be for people with resolution like 1366x768 or lower. Higher resolution like 2k or 4k monitor and MAYBE FullHD monitor should be able to handle most of it
Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 11:08:51 AM by AvikB

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
I prefer the other layout (or my rearrangement of it) with the coloured boxes across the top.
If clicking on those boxes does quickly scroll the page to right section of the forum, then the manual scrolling issue would be minimized.

EDIT
the problem would be for people with resolution like 1366x768 or lower. Higher resolution like 2k or 4k monitor and MAYBE FullHD monitor should be able to handle most of it

I'm using only 1920 x 1080 and I use sizer so I've only got the page open to 80% of the screen, and still looks good to me.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together