Author Topic: [WEBSITE v2] MusicBee website and forum redesign  (Read 551500 times)

phred

• Global Moderator
For the screenshots of the skins, would it be possible to click those so to see them enlarged to their actual image size?
In that way you can see the details of the skin that are now a bit obscure sometimes.
+1 +1 +1 +1
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

AvikB

For the screenshots of the skins, would it be possible to click those so to see them enlarged to their actual image size?
In that way you can see the details of the skin that are now a bit obscure sometimes.
+1 +1 +1 +1
fullscreen image viewing support is comming soon. :)

AvikB

+1 +1 +1 +1

BTW, what do you guys think would be the best option? if the user click image enlarge button,
1. should the image open in new tab? the plus point is it will use browsers default image viewer. and easy to zoom in and out.
2. or, a image preview dialogue opens in the same window(like facebook), BUT the image won't be full resolution! since the dialogue can't be bigger than the screen.

hiccup

I don't use facebook, so I can't give an opinion on that.

Simplicity would have my preference.
No need for extra pop-ups, tabs or zooming.
If possible, just 1 click to show the actual pixel size, click again to return to the previous view.

phred

• Global Moderator

If possible, just 1 click to show the actual pixel size, click again to return to the previous view.
Yes, keep it simple.  One click is the way to go.

And I thought I was the only person left in the world who didn't use facebook.  It's kind of nice to have company.   :)
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

hiccup

And I thought I was the only person left in the world who didn't use facebook.  It's kind of nice to have company.   :)

To be perfectly honest, I do have a facebook account. I created a login some 10 years ago. (and never opened it again after that ;-)

Back to business:

In the top menu there is an entry called 'add-ons', under which are entries such as plugins, visualiser, equalizer.

I have some suggestions on that.
The meaning of the term 'plugins' is practically identical to 'add-ons', so I think better to be avoided here.

Maybe under add-ons have something like:

- skins
- theater modes
- visualiser plugins
- audio plugins (or DSP plugins)
- functional extensions ( stuff like upnp addon, boroda74's tool, sync tools, etc.)

Also, same as you here, I also tend to use 'equalizer' (instead of equaliser), but equaliser (and visualiser) are proper British English, wich The Creator would probably prefer...

AvikB

This is a minor update, but a lots of the things have been re-factored
The problem is now, how big the project has become. From a simple redesign to much more complex thing and cms. While there is nothing wrong with what has bee done so far, but the sheer amount of time and lines of code is written is huge. And with HUGE code comes the problem of loading and bandwidth of users, specially people with low speed.

Currently the stylesheet has over 1,710 lines of code in it, and loading it all in a page, that doesn't even needed half of the style that it offer is really not efficient. So i have divided the stylesheets into separate files, each for their own page, and ONE common stylesheet for common pages.

Also with this change some UI bug may appear, but none should be ground breaking. I have tested most of the site and found no bug, or fixed all them. BUT LET ME KNOW IF YOU FOUND ONE

I should have used SASS or LESS from the start to save me this headache ;( ,but............ oh well, will see..

This is mostly a update for stylesheets, BUT the addon page is now improved

Yes, keep it simple.  One click is the way to go.

Thanks guys, I have updated the addon page with the following suggestions. Now one click on the image should show the image in higher res, also as a plus point, you can navigate around images(like a gallery).

In the top menu there is an entry called 'add-ons', under which are entries such as plugins, visualiser, equalizer.

I have some suggestions on that.
The meaning of the term 'plugins' is practically identical to 'add-ons', so I think better to be avoided here.

- skins
- theater modes
- visualiser plugins
- functional extensions ( stuff like upnp addon, boroda74's tool, sync tools, etc.)

Also, same as you here, I also tend to use 'equalizer' (instead of equaliser), but equaliser (and visualiser) are proper British English, wich The Creator would probably prefer...

I like most of these name BUT
- functional extensions 
, this is a really weird name. maybe something else! dunno.

hiccup

- skins
- theater modes
- visualiser plugins

I like most of these name BUT
- functional extensions 
, this is a really weird name. maybe something else! dunno.

You are calling me weird now?  ;-)
Well, maybe, yes. Also, I'm not a native English speaker, so of course any other suggestions are very welcome.
Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 07:35:01 AM by hiccup

hiccup

I notice no slowness to speak of. (but I do have a quite fast and low-latency cable internet connection)
Only when I focus on this subject, since I am aware you are working on this, the 'font replacement' still takes a little while. But, I am sure this probably happens on some other websites too, and that never bothered me. Also, I believe that as soon as it is in my browser's cache the intended font loads immediately.

The screenshot zoom is working great. Thnx!

hiccup

Ah, one more thing:

One thing that I like is how there is so much integration between the website and the forum in your design.
In a way, I also think it should be clear what is what, and where you are, but I like the integration very much.
What I am bringing up now could well be because I have to get adjusted to this new design and don't understand the working very well yet.

When you are logged in at the forum, then close your browser, and later on re-open the website page, you see the login icons (little guy, envelope) at the top.
So you know you are logged in.
But on that screen there is no logout button.

I am wondering: is logging in to the forum, the same thing as logging in to the website? Or are they synced or something like that?

AvikB

You are calling me weird now?  ;-)
Well, maybe, yes. Also, I'm not a native English speaker, so of course any other suggestions are very welcome.
'hiccup' always reminds me of How to train your dragon's hiccup, no offense intended :)
but yeah "functional extension" sound like "hey these are the ONLY extension that functions well, others are maybe nonfunctional...." or something like that

Ah, one more thing:

One thing that I like is how there is so much integration between the website and the forum in your design.
In a way, I also think it should be clear what is what, and where you are, but I like the integration very much.
What I am bringing up now could well be because I have to get adjusted to this new design and don't understand the working very well yet.

When you are logged in at the forum, then close your browser, and later on re-open the website page, you see the login icons (little guy, envelope) at the top.
So you know you are logged in.
But on that screen there is no logout button.

I am wondering: is logging in to the forum, the same thing as logging in to the website? Or are they synced or something like that?

i haven't added login or logout button on any of the pages other than forum, this shouldn't take more than 2 minute to do, but i forgot :( , and now that you reminded me of that i will push another update in a hour or so.

and yes, the forum is now FULLY integrated with the site, also the addon dashboard for addon author also uses forum login, so if you are logged in in the forum you are good to go.

also another thing i might do is, when a user hovers over the message icon a dropdown box will open and SHOW latest messages.
Steven gave me the database access today, and i already tested it(just few minute ago), it is working, so integrating forum in deeper level won't take much time.
let me know if you are interested in this feature, i might also do the same for Show new replies to your posts., this will help most forum user.

oh and i forgot ;) .....
A CRITICAL UPDATE FOR ADMIN PANEL HAS BEEN PUSHED
it is a bug fix for a SQL query and some database access stuff, also made the code a bit more clean and manageable.

hiccup

'hiccup' always reminds me of How to train your dragon's hiccup, no offense intended :)
but yeah "functional extension" sound like "hey these are the ONLY extension that functions well, others are maybe nonfunctional...." or something like that

Ah, now I see your point, funny.  I think maybe you are right if the word used was 'functioning', but 'functional' might be good? Well, maybe even if that is so it might still be a little confusing. I don't know.
We'll need some input and suggestions from others members.

I will see that movie, and let you know if I am offended....

hiccup

Steven gave me the database access today, and i already tested it(just few minute ago), it is working, so integrating forum in deeper level won't take much time.
let me know if you are interested in this feature, i might also do the same for Show new replies to your posts., this will help most forum user.

If I can't do too much damage, I am available for test-driving.

AvikB

I will see that movie, and let you know if I am offended....

it is a 3d animation movie btw, and one of my favorite one.

AvikB

If I can't do too much damage, I am available for test-driving.

you have to wait few days(1 or 2), the current one that i tasted have no gui, and have to edit the file manually then upload and THEN test.
will let you know when i have at least basic UI working.