Author Topic: [WEBSITE v2] MusicBee website and forum redesign  (Read 551547 times)

phred

• Global Moderator
"Get Latest Patch" should point to an actual live link, instead of the Download forum which isn't maintained fully current.

I know that I can look for phred's sig to find it,  but others won't know that.  I've always been a little chagrined that it's not really apparent what is the current patched version.  Fixes on the fly should be captured somewhere and made obvious. A site redesign is a good opportunity to do that.
Good point.
Perhaps the 'latest patch' should be linked to this: http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Latest_Update
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

AvikB

Therefore in my opinion either the footer should be sticky, or the info in the footer should be more suited for a typical footer. Such as acknowledgements, legal info, contact info etc.
I also think that the footer should be always visible, the copyright part div to be exact (it would take too much space to include the upper part of the footer), but it's not a must. The header on the other hand should be always visible for a quick horizontal menu access.

Thanks for the input, i am actually thinking about creating the top menu like:
Home
Download
Customization
Forum
Help

the Customization will have drop-down menu on mouse hover like:
Customization
              Skins
              Plugins
              Visualizer
              Equalizer
              Theater Mode

this should be enough, the footer only contains this links which are useful, also musicbee info, which i don't think that much useful as the download page already have those. any idea?

I've always been a little chagrined that it's not really apparent what is the current patched version.  Fixes on the fly should be captured somewhere and made obvious. A site redesign is a good opportunity to do that.

Perhaps the 'latest patch' should be linked to this: http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Latest_Update

Thanks for pointing it out. the MAIN problem with the current site(not the test one) is that it is TOO static. problems like updating existing info is painful and require HTML editing which is not convenient. BUT i am working on a better way to edit and modify things automatically whenever Steven upload a new patch or new version.
It is a json file that will contain all the musicbee version and download link related infos and will be modified using a NEW admin center [/b](separate one from the forum). the demo site footer and download page is already powered by these:
here is the json file link if anyone is interested, it is still a WIP
test.getmusicbee.com/musicbee_data/database.json

still a bit more time required to finish it.

One thing I might suggest is the inclusion of the MusicBee logo in the first sub content div and in the header. I really like this overhaul.

yeah i also have the same plan..... now WILL SOMEONE MAKE A NICER LOGO?? (a modern version of the current musicbee?)

ALSO I ACTUALLY MADE SOME IMPROVEMENT IN THE FORUM(which is not live btw, Steven is busy so, will have to wait).
you guys will love it:

Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 05:19:38 PM by AvikB

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I love this, too. There are a few good modernized icons available in the icon forum.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

AvikB

I love this, too. There are a few good modernized icons available in the icon forum.
damn i forget about that :S
will check it out. i think the best way to get a icon is to choose the best icons(look similar to the current one with modern design), and then ask Steven to choose one he like the most. the problem is i am really busy with the site, so will take some time before any icon is decided.

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
Could you also maybe look at recycling the honeycomb background from the current forum and website into the new one's.
Maybe as the background for the footer?
I think it's a great analogy for MusicBee; all of us little cells - listening to our own types of music, but interconnected by our passion for music and our use of MusicBee.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

AvikB

The update is not fully activated for the FORUM! i am waiting for steven's reply, the site is perfectly fine though.

THIS IS A BIG UPDATE, here is the list:
forum is now integrated with the site itself. Just sign in to the forum,( use a dummy account btw), and look at the top menubar and you will see NEW message count! and for admins they will see another link to admin center(not up yet).
here is how it look:

Backened is improved a LOT!

Download page is now improved.

Menubar has now ADD-ONS option.

Completely redesigned FORUM UI!

AvikB

Could you also maybe look at recycling the honeycomb background from the current forum and website into the new one's.
Maybe as the background for the footer?
I think it's a great analogy for MusicBee; all of us little cells - listening to our own types of music, but interconnected by our passion for music and our use of MusicBee.

Nice suggestion. i will see what i can do.

phred

• Global Moderator
I like what you've done with the download section for the installer and portable versions. 

However, I think the top menu item for Add-Ons is misleading.  Those sub-items (I assume) will point to those sections of the forum.  Users might be confused thinking that they can get Skins, Plug-ins, etc from there.  And while technically they can, they'll have to search through the forum to find them.  Again, this drop-down is part of the forum and might better be placed under the Forum menu item.  Perhaps with all the other sub-forums.   Or just leave "forums" as is and eliminate the reference to Add-Ons. 

That's just my two cents. 
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

AvikB

I like what you've done with the download section for the installer and portable versions. 

However, I think the top menu item for Add-Ons is misleading.  Those sub-items (I assume) will point to those sections of the forum.  Users might be confused thinking that they can get Skins, Plug-ins, etc from there.  And while technically they can, they'll have to search through the forum to find them.  Again, this drop-down is part of the forum and might better be placed under the Forum menu item.  Perhaps with all the other sub-forums.   Or just leave "forums" as is and eliminate the reference to Add-Ons. 

That's just my two cents. 

I thought that too, but don't worry! a custom CMS for managing plugin/skin is on the way! :)
or maybe links to wikia

Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 01:33:49 AM by AvikB

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
Those sub-items (I assume) will point to those sections of the forum.  Users might be confused thinking that they can get Skins, Plug-ins, etc from there.  And while technically they can, they'll have to search through the forum to find them.

I thought that too, but don't worry! a custom CMS for managing plugin/skin is on the way! :)
Admins would be able to add or remove plugins/skins also mention which MB version it supports and  possible bugs

Or maybe they could be linked to the appropriate sections of the wiki?
It's already set up for add-on authors to post and maintain their own work. Plus it has installation instructions.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

hiccup

I agree with phred, this makes sense.
Fact is, it is probably confusing to some newbies that we have both a website, a forum, and a wiki.
To make that as clear as possible I feel also it would be best to have separate top menu's for forum and wikibee (yep, I am throwing in a new name suggestion for 'wikia' for free ;-)
Then both the 'forum', and the 'wikibee' menu could have their own applicable entries for skins, faq's, downloads, etc.
Of course that's not ideal either, it might confuse new users a bit where to go, but at least it would represent the factual situation as it is. After all the fact just is that we do have some overlaps between the website, forum and wiki.

Thinking this through, maybe it would be good to have an entry called something like: "where to go from here?", briefly explaining the differences between, and features of the website vs. the wiki, vs. the forum.

AvikB

SIGNUP/REGISTER page has been completely redesigned :)
looks much better now, update is not live yet, as the demo forum is not functional yet, steven got some problem and i have some issue in my end too (damn my crappy internet ;( ). but i will update much more, specially the login page.

here is a quick look at the register page:
btw, those key icons in the password box is from my KEEPASS password manager, and is not related to the site design :S

AvikB

I agree with phred, this makes sense.
Fact is, it is probably confusing to some newbies that we have both a website, a forum, and a wiki.
To make that as clear as possible I feel also it would be best to have separate top menu's for forum and wikibee (yep, I am throwing in a new name suggestion for 'wikia' for free ;-)
Then both the 'forum', and the 'wikibee' menu could have their own applicable entries for skins, faq's, downloads, etc.
Of course that's not ideal either, it might confuse new users a bit where to go, but at least it would represent the factual situation as it is. After all the fact just is that we do have some overlaps between the website, forum and wiki.

Thinking this through, maybe it would be good to have an entry called something like: "where to go from here?", briefly explaining the differences between, and features of the website vs. the wiki, vs. the forum.

the whole point of having both wikia and forum is confusing at best. and i DON'T LIKE WIKIA  >:(
the main reason wikia is used for having all the skin plugin info in one place, then they link to forum, also is confusing.
the user might (i did) wonder, where could they actually do the download? (or precisely, where is the BIG BUTTON SAY DOWNLOAD?)

wikia SHOULD NOT be using for download links, it should be mainly for FAQ, HOW TO DO's

i am actually thinking about, creating a CMS just for managing PLUGINS and SKINS and others. you won't need any extra account if you sign up with the forum account, you are good to go(only moderator and admin for now),
there would be a central page for getting all the addons, there will be a download button, description, which musicbee version it will work on, os requirement, known bugs, screenshot and a link to the support forum.

so do you guys like the idea?

hiccup

The MusicBee wikia was created practically single-handedly with amazing effort and perseverance by longtime member psychadept, since it was filling a need nor the website, nor the forum was (is) offering.

It would probably be a very good idea if you could get in contact with him to see if you could join forces, and with his help, input and experience could create something even better and a bit more more streamlined.

AvikB

The MusicBee wikia was created practically single-handedly with amazing effort and perseverance by longtime member psychadept, since it was filling a need nor the website, nor the forum was (is) offering.

It would probably be a very good idea if you could get in contact with him to see if you could join forces, and with his help, input and experience could create something even better and a bit more more streamlined.

Thats a good idea, also the forum is now live, check it out.