Author Topic: [WEBSITE v2] MusicBee website and forum redesign  (Read 551849 times)

hiccup

Steven thought there was a limit of x number of posts per hour, but if there is, this bot got around it somehow.
There is a restriction on the amount of PMs a member is allowed to send to another member within a certain timespan.
I am not aware of a limitation on the amount of forum post for anyone.

But I am certainly not advocating there should be one.
(except maybe for a new member creating 500+ posts in a couple of hours ;-)
Our forum engine (SMF 2.0) might just not have such a refined feature though.
Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 11:15:44 PM by hiccup

boroda

They're all gone now.
Not even one left?
What fantastic offer are we missing out on? It must have been a very important one?
Did you keep it for yourself?
i kept it accidentally (in imtranslator), was curious what may be so important to duplicate message every couple of seconds 500 times, this is an example:

these messages were in korean, some ads of gambling.
Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 02:27:52 AM by Steven

boroda

is anybody else viewing text "New" instead of new-icon (it's happening for me since yesterday)?

Confirmed. I'm thinking SMF ran an update. I'm sure no one from MB (Steven, AvikB) made the change.

inspecting forum pages in vivaldi dev tools, i see that most forum icons like this:

https://getmusicbee.com/forum/Themes/mb_modern/images/topic/my_normal_post.gif

can be loaded, but icon "new.gif" can't:

https://getmusicbee.com/forum/Themes/mb_modern/images/russian-utf8/new.gif

notice that the path to this icon is different to paths of other icons. also, it's strange that word "russian" is mentioned in path because i'm using english mb site ui.

phred

• Global Moderator
There is a restriction on the amount of PMs a member is allowed to send to another member within a certain timespan.
Yes, the discussion of the number of PMs allowable is in this thread on the previous page (reply #1801).
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

phred

• Global Moderator
these messages were in korean, some ads of gambling.
Hmmm ... that's not what I saw, unless this is your translated version. What I saw was mostly ASCII characters.

Nice to know what it was for, however. Thanks.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

hiccup

A thought came up:

It's a well-known fact that searching the forum using the "Search something…" field at the top of the page is not the greatest way to find relevant posts on this forum.
Using Google will give much better results.

Would it be possible to add a Google search button (pre-populated with site:getmusicbee.com/forum/ next to the "Search something…" field?

Also… I hope all's well?

phred

• Global Moderator
Would it be possible to add a Google search button (pre-populated with site:getmusicbee.com/forum/ next to the "Search something…" field?
+1000

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

hiccup

I have always used the dark forum theme, so I never noticed this before, but I think it is a design mistake?:

When previewing a new post using the light theme, the preview renders the text in a very light grey, making it difficult to read.
And since the actual post will have the text in black, it's probably a mistake/oversight?

And I now also suddenly understand why sometimes a poster will manually set the text of his post to black (rendering it unreadable for users of the dark theme).
In hindsight I now forgive those that I may have cursed for doing that ;-)

Or is it perhaps something off with my system? It seems weird that nobody ever noticed or reported this?

karbock

Or is it perhaps something off with my system? It seems weird that nobody ever noticed or reported this?
I can reassure you: the fault is not on your system's side. The light grey is indeed rather hard to read with the light theme, but I've never bothered to add the topic to the wishlist.

hiccup

Thanks for confirming.
It's not a real issue to me, but at least I now understand why sometimes forum members choose to change the font colour to black, making it unreadable for forum members using the dark forum theme.
Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 10:42:55 PM by hiccup

hiccup

hiccup

Two observations on odd/incorrect forum behaviour I thought to mention:

When logged-out, the first reply to a post gets labelled as 'reply #1'.Which is correct.
But when logged-out, the same reply gets labelled as 'reply #2', and the strart post gets labelled as 'reply #1', which is obviously incorrect, and could lead to misunderstandings when somebody refers to a post using the reply number.

When a post contains BBcode
[pre]...[/pre]
 (preformatted text), that part will show up almost unreadable when looking at it using 'most recent posts':

When looking at it from the relevant thread itself it renders o.k.:

Neither are big issues, but I thought them interesting enough to at least have them assessed and mentioned.

karbock

When a post contains BBcode
[pre]...[/pre]
 (preformatted text), that part will show up almost unreadable when looking at it using 'most recent posts':

[pre]...[/pre]
 is also interpreted differently inside or outside a table.
Outside a table, it comes in two flavours according to the forum theme set (light/dark), both easily readable.
But inside a table, the text is almost unreadable in the dark mode.

Just switch forums themes with the example below to observe it:
pre.../pre outside a table:
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit.

pre.../pre inside a table:

hiccup

It seems that the limitation on sending PM's is not based on counting posts per hour, but on recipients per hour?
(I can't send a PM at this moment, and it looks like it is because there have been a couple more members cc'ed in my last (I think only two or three) PM's in the last hour)

Not a biggie, just thought to mention it.

Steven thought there was a limit of x number of posts per hour, but if there is, this bot got around it somehow.

But I am certainly not advocating there should be one.
(except maybe for a new member creating 500+ posts in a couple of hours ;-)
Our forum engine (SMF 2.0) might just not have such a refined feature though.

hiccup

Wow, what's going on? :

Was there some positive article on MusicBee published somewhere today?

edit
Ahum, me pretending I am a youngster still:
Was there some very funny TikTok about MusicBee today?
Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 08:45:42 PM by hiccup