Author Topic: [WEBSITE v2] MusicBee website and forum redesign  (Read 556454 times)

sveakul

Agreed.  Removing solutions that others may benefit from defeats the purpose of the forum.  Thread removal should be a decision made by Moderators only.

frankz

I'm on board with this.  Seems reasonable that OP can delete the OP up until someone replies but not after. 

Steven

• Administrator
there is a SMF setting that enables members to delete their own topic, which i have just unticked

hiccup

I'm on board with this.  Seems reasonable that OP can delete the OP up until someone replies but not after.

Just before posting this, I saw that Steven disabled deletion.
Still, here's what I had already composed as a reply and my opinion:

Ideally, I think there should be a grace period of say some 15 minutes where anybody can decide to remove his post completely.
It's quite human to write and post something in the spur of the moment, and then regret it shortly after(*).

But after that, and especially when another member answered, it should be in the hands of a moderator.

But, SMF is probably very restricted in what can be set in this repect.
Let's await what AvikB can tell us about this.

(*)
This isn't the case for the new member's post and deletion today.
After some unpleaseant PM's he has the doubtful honour to be the first and only forum member in my eight years presence on this forum that I had to block from receiving any more PM's.
So, since education and good manners seem to have failed for some, perhaps technology can help us out a bit here ;-)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
If someone posts something that they change their mind about, they can always contact a moderator to remove it.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

hiccup

If someone posts something that they change their mind about, they can always contact a moderator to remove it.

That's true.

But perhaps I am a bit more sympathetic to human error (sometimes ;-)
I believe you and I share some thoughts about another MB forum that takes 'patronizing' to a higher level?

I think I would prefer some middle-ground, where some human failure is allowed and doesn't need scrutiny from mommy and daddy.

phred

• Global Moderator
A new forum member asked a question, I gave an answer.
Then the member logged-in, and decided to just delete his post, taking my answer with it.
Yeah, that's really poor forum etiquette. It would be nice if something could be done to prevent that.

EDIT: And it now seems that Steven found a way to disable that.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
I have sent you an mail with the update.

How about adding some sort of polite and not in anyway condescending message to this web page ?
https://getmusicbee.com/downloads/
with something on the lines of..

STOP - Before you download and install MusicBee, please read.....
[add whatever new users need to be aware of here in simple steps with pics]

Freddy

AvikB

How about adding some sort of polite and not in anyway condescending message to this web page ? https://getmusicbee.com/downloads/ with something on the lines of.. STOP - Before you download and install MusicBee, please read..... [add whatever new users need to be aware of here in simple steps with pics] Freddy

I am not sure what new users need to be aware of.  :-\ Setting up Musicbee is pretty painless.

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
I am not sure what new users need to be aware of.  :-\ Setting up Musicbee is pretty painless.

Yeah you're right, and I agree, but still many newbies ask pretty basic stuff. MB can look a little scary when first installed for some as so many great options and functions.... :o

Steven

• Administrator
Done. I have added a couple of <BR> tags so there is an extra line between the NOTE: line and the input box so it stands out a bit more

AvikB

Done. I have added a couple of
 tags so there is an extra line between the NOTE: line and the input box so it stands out a bit more
It seems you haven't applied the .css file.

Steven

• Administrator
yes i believe so - its 36K in size compared to 31K for the old file

edit:
actually I needed to press Ctrl-F5 to force a refresh on my browser for the highlight bar to show

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
It shows up for me now
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)