Author Topic: [WEBSITE v2] MusicBee website and forum redesign  (Read 556492 times)

hiccup

its definitely not sufficient. first of all i anyway need to know which sentence uses this "by" to change this "couple of words" in it. on the second there may be some sophisticated cases for dynamic sentences (if some part of sentence is generated by soft, even if this part is only some date or number).

If I understand it a little bit better now, a solution could perhaps be that AvikB creates several entries for 'author' to be used at different positions?
For example one 'author' that is only used in a situation to indicate the name of the author without usage in a sentence, and another 'author' that is used in the sentence 'plugin by author...'

Just suppose these two would be named 'author-name' and 'author-created', then for English (and Dutch ;-) they would be identical, but for Russian you would be able to differentiate them?
And perhaps you even need more than two different 'authors' for other uses?

AvikB

AvikB, i'm not sure if its a bug or not, but test version of new forum was supporting cyrillics fine. but this forum just converts all cyrillic letters to question marks on saving post like previous version of the forum. though preview shows cyrillic letters. if i click "modify" button, then in post editor i see '?' instead of russian letters.
I think this is because when this forum was installed(a long time ago before i begin this project) utf-8 was not enabled by default. I am looking into this.

AvikB

its definitely not sufficient. first of all i anyway need to know which sentence uses this "by" to change this "couple of words" in it. on the second there may be some sophisticated cases for dynamic sentences (if some part of sentence is generated by soft, even if this part is only some date or number).
If I understand it a little bit better now, a solution could perhaps be that AvikB creates several entries for 'author' to be used at different positions? For example one 'author' that is only used in a situation to indicate the name of the author without usage in a sentence, and another 'author' that is used in the sentence 'plugin by author...' Just suppose these two would be named 'author-name' and 'author-created', then for English (and Dutch ;-) they would be identical, but for Russian you would be able to differentiate them? And perhaps you even need more than two different 'authors' for other uses?
Yeah i am thinking of same. Creating separate entries for different situation might make it more easy to translate.

Steven

• Administrator
AvikB, i'm not sure if its a bug or not, but test version of new forum was supporting cyrillics fine. but this forum just converts all cyrillic letters to question marks on saving post like previous version of the forum. though preview shows cyrillic letters. if i click "modify" button, then in post editor i see '?' instead of russian letters.
I think this is because when this forum was installed(a long time ago before i begin this project) utf-8 was not enabled by default. I am looking into this.
i noticed when doing the website upgrade that the SMF tables have "latin1_swedish_ci" encoding. I honestly have no idea how that happened. There is a way to change the encoding to UTF8 using SQL but i was reluctant to do that in case something got messed up

AvikB

i noticed when going the website uograde that the SMF tables have "latin1_swedish_ci" encoding. I honestly have no idea how that happened. There is a way to change the encoding to UTF8 using SQL but i was reluctant to do that in case something got messed up
Do we have any thread that uses any other language than english? if no then it should be ok to convert the database to UTF-8.
Here is a link to SMF wiki:
http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/UTF-8_Readme#How_to_convert_to_UTF-8

Steven

• Administrator
unfortunately "Forum Maintenance > Convert the database and data to UTF-8" in step 3 isnt available - not sure why.
The default forum language in step 2 is already en_US.utf8
do you see any issues with running this SQL?
Code
ALTER TABLE smf_admin_info_files CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_approval_queue CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_attachments CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_ban_groups CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_ban_items CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_boards CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_board_permissions CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_calendar CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_calendar_holidays CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_categories CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_collapsed_categories CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_custom_fields CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_custom_fields CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_group_moderators CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_log_actions CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_log_activity CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_log_banned CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_log_boards CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_log_comments CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_log_digest CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_log_errors CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_log_floodcontrol CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_log_group_requests CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_log_karma CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_log_mark_read CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_log_member_notices CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_log_notify CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_log_online CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_log_packages CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_log_polls CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_log_reported CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_log_reported_comments CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_log_scheduled_tasks CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_log_search_messages CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_log_search_results CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_log_search_subjects CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_log_search_topics CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_log_spider_hits CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_log_spider_stats CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_log_subscribed CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_log_topics CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_mail_queue CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_membergroups CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_members CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_messages CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_message_icons CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_moderators CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_openid_assoc CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_package_servers CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_permissions CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_permission_profiles CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_personal_messages CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_pm_recipients CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_pm_rules CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_polls CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_poll_choices CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_prefix CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_scheduled_tasks CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_sessions CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_settings CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_smileys CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_spiders CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_subscriptions CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_themes CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
ALTER TABLE smf_topics CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 06:29:04 PM by Steven

AvikB

hopefully these 2 strings i mentioned are complete sentences without any parts of sentences dynamically generated by soft, so no problem to translate them at all.
I will make the translation procedure better is v2.0, sorry for this inconvenience.

AvikB

unfortunately "Forum Maintenance > Convert the database and data to UTF-8" in step 3 isnt available - not sure why. The default forum language in step 2 is already en_US.utf8 do you see any issues with running this SQL?
I tested this on my local machine, and it seems "smf_prefix"(at line 57) does not exist. if you remove that line it should run fine.
ofc create a backup before that.

Steven

• Administrator
unfortunately "Forum Maintenance > Convert the database and data to UTF-8" in step 3 isnt available - not sure why. The default forum language in step 2 is already en_US.utf8 do you see any issues with running this SQL?
I tested this on my local machine, and it seems "smf_prefix"(at line 57) does not exist. if you remove that line it should run fine.
ofc create a backup before that.
that doesnt make sense to me. Firstly which file are you referring to, and secondly have you made a typo? how can i remove a line that does not exist

AvikB

I tested this on my local machine, and it seems "smf_prefix"(at line 57) does not exist. if you remove that line it should run fine. ofc create a backup before that.
that doesnt make sense to me. Firstly which file are you referring to, and secondly have you made a typo? how can i remove a line that does not exist
There is the following line i am talking about:
Code
ALTER TABLE smf_prefix CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;

my local test machine forum does not have that table so it threw an error for me. be sure to check it.
I am talking about backing up your database. Not any file.
Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 08:22:16 PM by AvikB

Steven

• Administrator
i have changed the character set on the sql tables.
просто тест
no idea what that means!

Steven

• Administrator
@AvikB, i had to use COLLATE utf8_bin instead of COLLATE utf8_general_ci because of duplicate entries.
Do you see any issue with that?

boroda

i have changed the character set on the sql tables.
просто тест
no idea what that means!
it means "its just a test" :)

------

AvikB, is it possible to enable support for tag [off] (offtopic)? or SMF 2 doesn't support this tag at all?

boroda

AvikB, here is russian localization of mb site:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/cvsqcoqmmbq7bhk/ru-ru.php

i've rechecked my translation twice, but anyway it could be that some strings are too long for site design, so its still possible that further corrections should be made. first i need to look at live russian site.

AvikB

AvikB, here is russian localization of mb site: http://www.mediafire.com/download/cvsqcoqmmbq7bhk/ru-ru.php i've rechecked my translation twice, but anyway it could be that some strings are too long for site design, so its still possible that further corrections should be made. first i need to look at live russian site.
thanks. i will upload it tomorrow on the test site first and once you are sure everything is on the place ,we can upload it on the live site.
Btw, in future you might wanna use github to pull a request, that way it would be easier on me to view and accept changes.