Author Topic: [WEBSITE v2] MusicBee website and forum redesign  (Read 551546 times)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
What hiccup said.  :)  I understand the desire to have everything ironed out beforehand, but just like with MB, even after it's "released" it will need a few more adjustments, and that's fine.  Some people always hate change, some people will have good ideas that can be added, but let's roll with it.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

AvikB

yeah i guess you guys are right. :)
i have pushed one final update for the forum  and removed those big boxes and as well as some bug fixes and improvement for the menu, it is now mobile friendly even though the forum is not :).

For any more requests toward forum, home page, download page, addon page, release-note page  will be added on my todo list for v2.0

AvikB

What hiccup said.  :)  I understand the desire to have everything ironed out beforehand, but just like with MB, even after it's "released" it will need a few more adjustments, and that's fine.  Some people always hate change, some people will have good ideas that can be added, but let's roll with it.
Yeah you are absolutely right, it is hard to make changes when different people have different suggestions :S

I did have few more features i wanted in the first release, but i guess i will add them in v2.0

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
No, there is no landing page, but the download link is always the same.
It's the one phred uses in his signature.
I don't think the link is consistent. It is for v2.5 what will happen when v3.0 releases? it will need manual editing, which is not an elegant solution.

No. The latest patch is always the same link.
It currently downloads MusicBee 3.0.5923.36565, being the version that Steven just recently uploaded.

I thought that having a link to the latest patch on the forum, was something that had already been discussed and deemed a great idea.
Rather than having to search for a post by phred and get the link from his signature, or search for recent posts by Steven and look through those for the last posted patch.

EDIT:
Actually, reading back through the thread, the large button removal was discussed before and was decided it wouldn't happen.  That it was a good and convenient solution.  It was then just brought back up and re-hashed again today!
Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 10:54:57 PM by Bee-liever
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

hiccup

Yes it is pretty simple, a bit time consuming though, since moving, renaming, adding description.
No programming is required. you will need admin rank to do so btw. Ask steven he should be able to make you admin in the test forum.

Ok, and just for my understanding, my username on the new forum (hiccup2) is different from my current one here (hiccup). I believe existing user names from the current forum are not allowed to register again at the new forum.
Should I ask for those extra permissions on the second and new username (hiccup2) there, or should I ask to have my current one copied to the new forum, including these extra permissions?

AvikB

No. The latest patch is always the same link.
It currently downloads MusicBee 3.0.5923.36565, being the version that Steven just recently uploaded.

I thought that having a link to the latest patch on the forum, was something that had already been discussed and deemed a great idea.
Rather than having to search for a post by phred and get the link from his signature, or search for recent posts by Steven and look through those for the last posted patch.
That is weird, the link read like it is for v2.5

EDIT:
Actually, reading back through the thread, the large button removal was discussed before and was decided it wouldn't happen.  That it was a good and convenient solution.  It was only just brought back up re-hashed again today!
I know what you are saying, it just wasn't a great solution.  There were few uncertainty:
First i don't think the patch link is completely permanent.  It could change in future, and only way would be to edit the theme files.

Don't worry i have some plans for future releases, i will post those ideas when i am done with the initial release. :)

AvikB

Ok, and just for my understanding, my username on the new forum (hiccup2) is different from my current one here (hiccup). I believe existing user names from the current forum are not allowed to register again at the new forum.
Should I ask for those extra permissions on the second and new username (hiccup2) there, or should I ask to have my current one copied to the new forum, including these extra permissions?
I don't think there is any relation between the current and new forum. You should be able to choose "hiccup" in new forum as well.

as for permission, you can't copy it.
If you want the same global mod permission there thats fine, but i don't know if you can modify or edit boards with global mod permission.

Can you modify current forum boards with global mod? if not i think you will need admin permission.

hiccup

Actually, reading back through the thread, the large button removal was discussed before and was decided it wouldn't happen.  That it was a good and convenient solution.  It was then just brought back up and re-hashed again today!

But I also remember AvikB succumbing to the suggestions that considering it's permanent presence and taking up so much space was an issue, so he would implement the option to hide them.

This is the last I will say about this matter (at least until the forum is live), but I still feel the buttons are much bigger than necessary, they take an unreasonable amount of space and focus at the cost of a lot of other important information on the rest of the main screen, and the assumption that the majority of forum visitors is kind of clueless, and visits the forum just because they have serious issues that in most cases will be solved by just pushing a big update button in my opinion is not a true representation of reality.

hiccup

I don't think there is any relation between the current and new forum. You should be able to choose "hiccup" in new forum as well.

Are you sure about this?
It's been a while, but I am sure I chose hiccup2 because hiccup wasn't accepted. I believe also other forum members choose (slightly) different aliases because of that.

AvikB

Are you sure about this?
It's been a while, but I am sure I chose hiccup2 because hiccup wasn't accepted. I believe also other forum members choose (slightly) different aliases because of that.
yeah 100% sure. create a new account with "hiccup" and let me know if it is working or not

phred

• Global Moderator

Are you sure about this?
I'm pretty sure hiccup is correct. 

I just tried to register as 'phred' and it wouldn't let me.  Actually, it said I didn't answer the verification question correctly.  I tried it 5 or 6 times with the same result.  I changed the username to something else and got the same denial. 

Also if you request that the verification image be changed, the letters in the text box remain the same even though the background graphics change.  This does not seem like a good verification scheme if it always requests the same letters.

I'd like to know if anyone can get a new registration processed successfully at this point.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

hiccup

yeah 100% sure. create a new account with "hiccup" and let me know if it is working or not

I'm sorry, I must be getting tired, I tried 4 times, and they won't let me in...
I am calling it a day...

AvikB

thats weird, there should be another verification box, which is not showing. I will try to figure out whats wrong. :S

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
I still feel the buttons are much bigger than necessary, they take an unreasonable amount of space and focus at the cost of a lot of other important information on the rest of the main screen
What other important information?
It's just the forum boards table of contents!!

and the assumption that the majority of forum visitors is kind of clueless, and visits the forum just because they have serious issues that in most cases will be solved by just pushing a big update button in my opinion is not a true representation of reality.

And I didn't say that, you made the assumption there.

What is known is that a permanent link to the latest patch has been mooted for a long time as having to find and re-post the link when providing that information to other posters was time consuming.
It was one of the main driving reasons for phred putting it in his signature.

@ AvikB
The main website looks great! Nice and colourful, eyecatching and functional.
Then the forum (the latest look without the big buttons)... bluntly - boring, uninspiring and generally not nice to look at.
Especially when compared to the great work on the main MusicBee page.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together