Author Topic: [WEBSITE v2] MusicBee website and forum redesign  (Read 551342 times)

hiccup

The problem I see in the message presented here, is that it strongly suggests that for each and every question, and every situation, it is almost mandatory to have the latest version.
The message might say: "be sure to have the latest stable version", but if you look at the state with mb v3 we are currently in, the advice now is usually to update to the latest beta. But at another moment in time, the advice might better be indeed to use the stable version.

As an alternative it might be sensible to have a message in the lines of: "for technical questions or problems be sure to mention the MusicBee version you are using".

AvikB

Maybe, instead of having those big banner on the forum front page, we can show a little banner while posting.
something like this:

The banner is a nice idea, but only if it can point to the REALLY latest version, the patches.  Otherwise it'll be just like now, the first thing we tell almost everyone is to get the patch.

It can point to really latest version but steven have to add them through admin panel, otherwise it won't.
Admin panel now only supports beta(basically patch) and stable release(full release), there is no incremental patch download section for stable release. steven have to provide fully patched release for the stable(just like how it is done in release forum thread).

AvikB

The problem I see in the message presented here, is that it strongly suggests that for each and every question, and every situation, it is almost mandatory to have the latest version.
Well it says Before posting an issue or bugs, so i don't think it is applicable for every situation.

The message might say: "be sure to have the latest stable version", but if you look at the state with mb v3 we are currently in, the advice now is usually to update to the latest beta. But at another moment in time, the advice might better be indeed to use the stable version.
The main issue with Musicbee is how it handles update. MusicBee should keep it self always upadated, or atleast show update notification when a new release available.

Specially for beta release, a user have to check the forum everyday,and then there is the trouble of finding if an update really is posted or not. which is not convenient.

I think the update model of musicbee should follow how windows 10, steam does it:
There should be an separate update option in musicbee setting, where user can select to choose stable ring or beta ring. Also for both stable and beta there should be a check for update button, currently MusicBee 3 beta does not check for new beta releases.

ofc i understand the reason why it does not. since there is no way(no api) to do that.
I am thinking of providing api for steven to build an update system for musicbee, where user can check for updates for both beta and stable releases.

here is the json api for both stable and beta release, ofc steven have to add new releases through admin panel.

test.getmusicbee.com/api.get.php?type=json&action=release-info

As an alternative it might be sensible to have a message in the lines of: "for technical questions or problems be sure to mention the MusicBee version you are using".
Well that was just a mockup, i will add this.

hiccup

I might be mistaken, but if I recall correctly, Steven is not very enthousiastic about being pushed in some structured releases schedule or namings, with official and more traditional alpha's, beta's, patches, updates, etc.
If that is he case, it is not very useful to try and force such a structure in the forum also.

Then it might be good to keep it simple, and just use the here suggested structure:
http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=16894.msg99771#msg99771

Users will be able to find the latest official release, and info about it under Announcement> MusicBee Release
and the latest patch/update or whatever you call it in Announcement> MusicBee Pre-Release

That should be easy to learn and understand, and easy to direct to.
And then Steven will always be able to choose to have a thread named "v3.1 development", or "v3.0 updates", or whatever.

One thing I do feel quite strongly about in that case, is that download links, wheter it is for patches, updates, stable releases, plugins, etc. should always be found in the start post, and not somewhere hidden in a long list of later postings.

edit,
I see you just also posted on the matter. I will read that now too ;-)

hiccup

Well it says Before posting an issue or bugs, so i don't think it is applicable for every situation.

Yes, but it says here the 'latest stable version' is always better. But currently we usually advice to use the latest v3 beta. (update? patch?)

The main issue with Musicbee is how it handles update. MusicBee should keep it self always updated, or at least show update notification when a new release available.
Specially for beta release, a user have to check the forum everyday,and then there is the trouble of finding if an update really is posted or not. which is not convenient.

That is all up to Steven.
As long as he is not making a move in this area (which is within his good right, and only his decision to make), I would not waste time in anticipating on how that might play out in the future.

AvikB

Yes, but it says here the 'latest stable version' is always better. But currently we usually advice to use the latest v3 beta. (update? patch?)
Then i guess, i can add Checkout musicbee beta releases, current beta release is: 3.1.3423

That is all up to Steven.
As long as he is not making a move in this area (which is within his good right, and only his decision to make), I would not waste time in anticipating on how that might play out in the future.
I guess anyone from the community can make a plugin for this.
If steven won't do this then I am thinking of making one for my personal use :) it is fairly easy to do so.

hiccup

Then i guess, i can add Checkout musicbee beta releases, current beta release is: 3.1.3423

We seem to differ in the basic principle on this.
You seem very eager and focused to get this specific matter completely structured and classified.
I believe it is not possible, considering there is no structured source for this alpha/beta/update matter.
I feel it is a bit of a waste of time and energy putting in so much thought and energy in implementing this in the way you are imagining it.

What I agree on what might be useful, is a for example a fixed location on the start page of the forum, mentioning the latest stable version number, and the latest patch/beta version number. (as some ticker tape, if you know what I mean)
That should be enough to draw attention, and make people aware about versions/updates.
Just trust the forum and human intelligence to do the rest.

Let's get this ball rolling.... ?

hiccup

yup, when the new forum will be available the structure will be more like that.
Someone just have to go to forum admin panel and add boards, but there is no point in adding them in the test forum though. :)

What do you mean 'more like that'?
Still not decided on it?

It might be good to get a good impression on the final result.
Any member checking out the test forum will then quickly see the progress being made, and will be able to make comments on it while there is still time to make such changes. I for myself am rather curious how it will look after those changes, and I imagine it will be rather difficult (or at least undesirable) to make changes to the forum structure after it's gone live.

Is it something I might be able to help with?
(no programming skills though :-(

AvikB

We seem to differ in the basic principle on this.
You seem very eager and focused to get this specific matter completely structured and classified.
I believe it is not possible, considering there is no structured source for this alpha/beta/update matter.
Well currently for musicbee release as it is, there are two version, stable, beta/pre-release. It is a pretty simple structure.

Ofc, there won't be always a beta release, since it depends on steven's free time. thats why i included a disable beta. and release button. Steven can completely turn off beta whenever he wants. Structure is flexible this way.

I feel it is a bit of a waste of time and energy putting in so much thought and energy in implementing this in the way you are imagining it.
My imagination is not really far fetched. It is derived from the current forum/download structure. And it is already implemented and tasted. :)

What I agree on what might be useful, is a for example a fixed location on the start page of the forum, mentioning the latest stable version number, and the latest patch/beta version number. (as some ticker tape, if you know what I mean)
That should be enough to draw attention, and make people aware about versions/updates.
Thats okay for me, but it seems some people don't like that as it takes extra space. It is really hard to decide since different people have different issues and choices. :S

Just trust the forum and human intelligence to do the rest.
That would be the last thing one can trust. :P

AvikB

What do you mean 'more like that'?
Still not decided on it?
I am decided on that structure, the wording can be improved.

It might be good to get a good impression on the final result.
Any member checking out the test forum will then quickly see the progress being made, and will be able to make comments on it while there is still time to make such changes. I for myself am rather curious how it will look after those changes, and I imagine it will be rather difficult (or at least undesirable) to make changes to the forum structure after it's gone live.
I guess you are right. it is just matter of time to actually sit down and add boards, and i am feeling really lazy to do it. :P

Is it something I might be able to help with?
(no programming skills though :-(
Yes it is pretty simple, a bit time consuming though, since moving, renaming, adding description.
No programming is required. you will need admin rank to do so btw. Ask steven he should be able to make you admin in the test forum.

AvikB

btw i have question for you since you are a mod in the current forum.

In the current forum you can see a user's ip address and ip-block him, which i removed in the new forum since ip-address blocking is not accurate and can cause issues for others.
Do you actually use it? if so i might add it otherwise i will leave it as it is.

hiccup

Thats okay for me, but it seems some people don't like that as it takes extra space. It is really hard to decide since different people have different issues and choices. :S

Something like this won't take space at all:

hiccup

In the current forum you can see a user's ip address and ip-block him, which i removed in the new forum since ip-address blocking is not accurate and can cause issues for others.
Do you actually use it? if so i might add it otherwise i will leave it as it is.

I myself don't. I am only killing spam postings when encountered with them. I only remove and ban them on user name and email address.
I am not looking at, or investigating domains, ip ranges etc.
Perhaps Steven does that once in a while (please filter and kill all postings containing "kitchens", "uk" etc. beforehand ;-) so you should ask him if he needs that.

AvikB

Something like this won't take space at all:

it is not possible do it like this, first it will break the menu design. and using two lines while rest of the menu is using one line is not a good design.

I think i will stick to current design as it is. a little bit of space at the top won't hurt too much :| , i will make it a bit more compact.

phred

• Global Moderator

Speaking for myself as a moderator, I typically don't block someone via the IP because as you say, it might cause issues for others.  But there have been a couple of times where I have blocked the user's IP.  But this is always done from the 'ban user' option and not from within an offending post.  As long as the IP logging remains somewhere, I don't think there's a need to have the option show in the post.  Hiccup and/or Steven may feel otherwise and I would defer to whatever Steven says.
Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 06:29:57 PM by phred
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here