Author Topic: [WEBSITE v2] MusicBee website and forum redesign  (Read 551684 times)

AvikB

Well,since the current forum have no Cc field, i cant add it. I think To and Cc should do the same job as it is available.

hiccup

Well,since the current forum have no Cc field, i cant add it. I think To and Cc should do the same job as it is available.

Ok, thnx for looking into this.
It seems SMF just has a crippled implementation of the To/Cc/Bcc concept.

AvikB

Another request comes to mind.

As a moderator, once in a while you have to move a post from one thread to another because the poster choose the wrong thread/board to post it.
It would be decent to inform the OP by PM that that was done, so he might learn from it, and he can find his post in the new location.

With the current forum when moving such a post, you can only select to inform about moving the post in the thread itself, so leaving traces of that in the thread you were trying to keep clean in the first place.

I sometimes inform the OP by sending a PM when I relocated his post, but that is an effort I could do without.
Does the new forum engine allow to have a simple checkbox in the 'move post' pane called something like "inform OP about his post being moved"?

If it is a option available then it should be done, otherwise if smf removed it, well then it is not possible.

you might wanna try asking steven for this, he might know if it os available or not.

AvikB

Ok, thnx for looking into this.
It seems SMF just has a crippled implementation of the To/Cc/Bcc concept.

I guess it confuses regular user too much, for the next smf version(2.1) they have revamped the messaging center a lot.
I will probably make another theme for it when released. and upgrade to that.

AvikB

This is a big update! Addon dashboard demo is alive...sort of
The addon dashboard is in readonly mode for now, since i haven't implemented any security checks yet. It should be fully up in a week or so. This is more of a preview.

Addon dashboard have some exciting feature(most of them are disabled in the preview :P),
but things that work is the new ajaxified navigation, and musicbee version availability for dashboard, which can be controlled via admin panel by Steven (or any admin),
when steven uploads a new musicbee version he can choose to mark it as major(which will make it available for addon devs to target via dashboard).
also the new imgur upload from the addon center(it is awesome :) ), devs will be able to add maximum of 8 screenshots for preview(let me know if more needed).

The new markdown editor is here, it does not support imgur upload yet(will come later), try it. BTW the undo does not work, i haven't fixed it yet(will do when i finished the dashboard).

Also the release note page received some minor bug fixes.

Another major change that NO ONE WILL NOTICE, is that the new site is moving toward multilingual pages. I have made a single language file for the site, later on if someone from the community is interested he will able to translate the site.

Some code refactoring for better maintainability.
Forum bug fixes.
Few things to note, once you go to:
http://test.getmusicbee.com/addon-dashboard.php
An addon account will be automatically created. It uses forum authentication, so a forum account is needed(you also have to login from the forum too),

There is a reported issue tab on the dashboard, which will be removed in later update as issue reporting will be done through forum.

DO NOT SUGGEST ANY SPELLING MISTAKE
but any suggestion to improve wording is welcome, later on phred will finalizing them.

and Merry Christmas everyone :)
Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 09:47:07 AM by AvikB

Steven

• Administrator
@AvikB,
this is just to confirm i understand the process around addons and skins
- the same process applies to skins and to addons
- a developer creates a topic on the forum for their initial skin/ addon
- 1) the forum add-on version can go through a number of iterations on the forum
- when the developer feels the skin/ addon is ready, he can use this dashboard submit the skin/addon
- question: does an admin(/ moderator?) need to give that user any permissions beforehand or can anyone submit a skin/ addon?
- then an admin(/ moderator) accepts the submission so it now appears on the main web-site Skin/ Addons link
- if further changes are made, then the steps from 1) are repeated
- i noticed a "Reported Issues" link - how do you see that working? I would have thought that reporting issues on the forum topic would be best for that
- this is where i am quite hazy - you mentioned about linking the Addon(/ skins?) to a major musicbee version. Could you explain this some more
- as a FYI: i try to make sure all MB versions are backwards compatible with old plugins. For v3, there are a couple of my last.fm plugins that will break and need a new version. But thats the exception rather than the rule. For skins, although they wont break with v3,a number wont work very well. I'm not sure we need to tie skins to major MB versions
Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 09:16:20 AM by Steven

AvikB

@AvikB,
this is just to confirm i understand the process around addons and skins
- the same process applies to skins and to addons
Yes, pretty much, when choosing skin few more fileds(like colors, theme... these optional fields) will show up(haven't implemented it yet, WIP), as for other kinds of addons, yes those will be the all of the process.

- a developer creates a topic on the forum for their initial skin/ addon
- 1) the forum add-on version can go through a number of iterations on the forum
- when the developer feels the skin/ addon is ready, he can use this dashboard submit the skin/addon
Yes, this is the process i am targetting

- question: does an admin(/ moderator?) need to give that user any permissions beforehand or can anyone submit a skin/ addon?
When you go to dashboard you can see your rank there, for now there are four ranks, Admin, Mod, Elite, Newbie.
For Newbie users, they can add/update addon BUT admin/mod have to review and allow it, admin/mod can allow it through dashboard(WIP).
For Elite User they can add or update any addon as they fit.

WHEN a newbie users has atleast of 5 addon(could be any category skin, visualizer, plugins, theater mode but Equalizer does not count) on their dashboard, they will be able to add/update addons easily.

For Elite rank, you need atleast 20 addon(equalizer does not count) to get that rank.

All these 5 addon, 20 addon requirement is a example, you can suggest me the amount that required. It is just an example of how the system works.

- then an admin(/ moderator) accepts the submission so it now appears on the main web-site Skin/ Addons link
- if further changes are made, then the steps from 1) are repeated
If the user updates the addon but does not have more that 5 addon, mods/admin will need to re-allow them.
Alternatively, if a member is trusted, but doesn't have 5 addons,  admin (only admin) will be able to remove this restriction from their profile.

- i noticed a "Reported Issues" link - how do you see that working? I would have thought that reporting issues on the forum topic would be best for that
Yes, it will get removed in next update, forum will be used as default issue reporting place.
Right now it serves me as a debug page :P

- this is where i am quite hazy - you mentioned about linking the Addon(/ skins?) to a major musicbee version. Could you explain this some more
- as a FYI: i try to make sure all MB versions are backwards compatible with old plugins. For v3, there are a couple of my last.fm plugins that will break and need a new version. But thats the exception rather than the rule. For skins, although they wont break with v3,a number wont work very well. I'm not sure we need to tie skins to major MB versions
Here is the idea behind the major version idea:
When most software gets major updates, things brake, skins will have rendering glitches, some plugin might not work/unstable, and those older skins/plugins won't support the latest api or changes for the musicbee.
And what happens when a addon uses the latest api, but the end user have a older musicbee version, things wont work properly.
And this creates quite a bit of problem for end user. When you add a major musicbee update to admin panel it will be automatically added on dashboard, devs can target those latest major changes(using the new api, or panels) and also let the user know what major version needed for it to work.

OFC, devs will be able to choose any amount of musicbee version, if their skin/addons works with all of them.

You can remove any MusicBee version from the dashboard by going to all musicbee release tab in the admin panel and edit them(unchecking the dashboard availability).

The main reason for this is to better maintainability for FUTURE. OFC devs can also add a important note in the dashboard of their addon, if any confusion appears.(which i forgot to add in the demo :P)

phred

• Global Moderator
When you go to dashboard you can see your rank there, for now there are four ranks, Admin, Mod, Elite, Newbie.
For Newbie users, they can add/update addon BUT admin/mod have to review and allow it, admin/mod can allow it through dashboard(WIP).
For Elite User they can add or update any addon as they fit.

WHEN a newbie users has atleast of 5 addon(could be any category skin, visualizer, plugins, theater mode but Equalizer does not count) on their dashboard, they will be able to add/update addons easily.

For Elite rank, you need atleast 20 addon(equalizer does not count) to get that rank.

All these 5 addon, 20 addon requirement is a example, you can suggest me the amount that required. It is just an example of how the system works.
What is the purpose of this?  Why is this necessary?  What is the thinking behind it?
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

AvikB

What is the purpose of this?  Why is this necessary?  What is the thinking behind it?

Spam prevention, flood gate control, only useful and complete addons are allowed, making sure addons are safe. No this wont prevent malicious addon but a reminder that in we will atleast check basic things like links and images(like no nude girl images).
Also keeping the addon center clean while the submitted data(which end user sees) is good enough, or if they are relevant.

Also if some one from the community is willing to check(like testing them in VM for viruses or if it work properly) the addons before submitting them it is a bonus, no way needed though.
It just like forum moderation only you don't have to through searching for posts for spams or malicious links in their sigs.
You can see all the pending addons (only mods/admin) that needs approval. Just one mouse click and done. or reject them. as simple as that.

Existing active addon devs will be granted elite status by their contribution value.

This feature is intended to keep the addon center in control.

phred

• Global Moderator
Just my two cents here, but we've never had problems such as you describe before.  It seems to me we're putting more restrictions in the way of users who are trying to contribute to the MB community.  It's not my decision to implement this or not, but I feel that I have to say something.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

AvikB

Just my two cents here, but we've never had problems such as you describe before.  It seems to me we're putting more restrictions in the way of users who are trying to contribute to the MB community.  It's not my decision to implement this or not, but I feel that I have to say something.
The restrictions are only when the devs want it to available in the addon center. But they can use the forum for their base ground and only add when it gets popular or it is really good.
I do understand your point about putting user off, but it is darn simple actually no strict check or pay to submit stuff, they just submit, mod or admin checks if the info that is provided ok(and the link works) and allow. No more complicated stuff.

This means they will atleast have to provide some info for users(like description, images, maybe a readme), i don't want users to wonder of what this addon is about and what it looks like(something i wonder a lot) or if this requires anything additional. The mod check will make sure everything that serves to user is not incomplete(or mod/admin can even edit or modify them).

Just because spam is not much of threat now in the forum does not mean no extra check on the dashboard.

For new users i will also add another restriction, and that is they can only submit 20 addon a day and update them total 50times max a day, also direct image upload will support only 40 times a day(i will reduce it once it hits specific traffic).
This is maintain floodgate and database load, also the imgur upload api is limited(i can request a bigger capacity token, which is also free, but will do only when it reaches the cap),

I highly doubt anyone will use it to its full capacity, but this will prevent huge database load and keep the floodgate under control.

phred

• Global Moderator
@Steven, AvikB
I just realized there's no MusicBee logo on the new website.  Nor on the new forum.  Is this intentional or an oversight?

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

AvikB

@Steven, AvikB
I just realized there's no MusicBee logo on the new website.  Nor on the new forum.  Is this intentional or an oversight?
Haven't decided a new logo(modern version of the current one), will do it at the last stage.

AvikB

This is a huge update, the dashboard is now finally live, here is what is functional:
 -Addon submission is working properly
 -Dashboard security in place, i will go into detail a bit later
 -The popup image upload/edit duologue is improved and has better looks and styling, also is mobile friendly.
 -With Addon Submission working, the addon view page is also working.
 -A LOTS of bug fixes
-And a nice 404 error page! go to http://test.getmusicbee.com/help.php to check it out!

and there are lots of other changes, i can't remember. Also the dashboard is now optimized.

Few restriction that i decided to remove and put:
 -Every user will be able to add their own addon
 -Depends on their rank their submission will be auto accepted or needs mod approval.
 -For users that need mod approval, they can add 10 addon to approval queue at a time, when their addons approved they can add another 10 in the approval queue.

also for this demo purpose anyone can see the unapproved addon page, if the link is shared.
currently the explore page for addons is not done, so i haven't included it yet, after you submit an addon go to View all addons tab and click on the go to addon page to view the page. Also you CAN NOT update your addon info YET! it will come later.

here is a demo page that i created from the dashboard: http://test.getmusicbee.com/addons.php?id=1

also i need few suggestion:
currently for adding an addon, you have to upload the addon to some external site then paste the link, i am thinking of adding something better. After reading through boroda74's addon plugin, he choose google drive for this, so i did some research in this matter, and it seems it is possible to add direct upload to google drive, like imgur. This is better as it means a central repo for all the addons, and in future the addon can be downloaded/browse from within the musicbee(with some addon) without the need to visit the site.

so what do you guys think? if it is allright for steven and other members i will add it. Also you don't need any google account for this.

As for addon dashboard, if you have new feature request, or some better suggestion let me know.
Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 10:58:03 AM by AvikB

Steven

• Administrator
i would like to spend time checking this out but right now i am quite swamped
i hope to check it out in the next few days