Author Topic: [WEBSITE v2] MusicBee website and forum redesign  (Read 551694 times)

phred

• Global Moderator
i have to say the home page is really great how it looks, behaves and the general layout.
The only thing i am not completely comfortable with is the quality section. Maybe just the bit about "...making MusicBee a favourite among audiophiles."
and the quality guide section (but I guess it depends on what you had in mind for that).
I think this could lead Steven into a path of much more work coming from issues raised by audiophiles.  Not saying that there aren't already audiophiles using MB, but if MB is pushed as an audiophile tool, requests for fixes and enhancements may push Steven over the edge.

Also for "The ULTIMATE...", i am not sure about that. To me that comes accross as overselling, but perhaps others might comment on that.
But other than that, the rest of it is jusr fantastic
If "ULTIMATE" is going to be used, and I too am not sure it should, then it should be "unlimate" no caps.  Or perhaps only the first letter cap "Ultimate"
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

phred

• Global Moderator
Trying to add a sig in the new forum and I can't see what I'm typing.  The box is too small resulting in not being able to see what I'm typing.  Also the maximum number of character counter doesn't reflect the actual number of characters used.  Nor does it reset from 0 to 300 when the box is cleared.  Lastly, a limit of 300 would prevent my current sig from being used.
Thanks to Phred for reporting this bug. The editor should be big. For the remaining character i will see what i can do.
I can confirm that the editor box is larger and works better now.  However, there's a small "block" bottom center of the box which turns my cursor to a "link" when hovering over it.  But it's not a link.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

hiccup

The only thing i am not completely comfortable with is the quality section. Maybe just the bit about "...making MusicBee a favourite among audiophiles."
and the quality guide section (but I guess it depends on what you had in mind for that).
Also for "The ULTIMATE...", i am not sure about that. To me that comes accross as overselling, but perhaps others might comment on that.

'Ultimate' sounds very enthusiastic to my ears, but I think it is appropriate.
Just as ultimate holiday, ultimate atmosphere, ultimate experience, etc.
Saying something like 'the best' would be very self-boasting, but this says that if you need a player/organizer, this is the ultimate one to get.
If you really don't like it, maybe change it to 'essential' or something like that?

About the 'Quality Matters' section:
The part of making an assumption on audiophiles choices could be a little bit questionable.
Maybe change it something along these lines:

Sound quality matters
Wheter you play your music on an audiophile setup or on a laptop, MusicBee is designed with the features to fulfill all those needs.

Steven

• Administrator
Sound quality matters
Wheter you play your music on an audiophile setup or on a laptop, MusicBee is designed with the features to fulfill all those needs.
yes i like that better
also i guess ULTIMATE should be ok, maybe without the ALL CAPS

hiccup

Sound quality matters
Whether you play your music on an audiophile setup or on a laptop, MusicBee is designed with the features to fulfill all those needs.
yes i like that better

@Phred, proofreading please ;-)

AvikB

Another Update just pushed for the forum.

Some big improvement is made. As hiccup suggested to remove unwanted buttons(colors, size...etc), since it can be misused.
Instead B33Liver suggested:

Quote from: B33liever date=1450482845
Have read the comments in the other forum about this. I like having the options for colours, font size, etc readily available. Maybe, as a compromise, the options to post using;
  • hyperlinks
  • video
  • font size
  • colour
could be turned of for newbie members

it is darn nice idea to hide extra options for Newbie users. So form now on the new forum editor will show a less featured(lite) version for newbie user

For anyone who is not newbie(admin, mod, glonal mod, hero member, sr. member and others.... even a newbie mod) member will be able to use full featured editor.

Font color is back. But has less options now.

This is a fine compromise.
Also fullscreen mode is now added for distraction free editing. and some dark theme enhancement. (sorry newbie user you wont get fullscreen mode :P )
Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 04:26:54 PM by AvikB

AvikB

i have to say the home page is really great how it looks, behaves and the general layout.
But other than that, the rest of it is jusr fantastic

Glad you like it :)
Those words are merely placeholder, Phred will fix them appropiately when i give him the file for proof reading.

I think this could lead Steven into a path of much more work coming from issues raised by audiophiles.  Not saying that there aren't already audiophiles using MB, but if MB is pushed as an audiophile tool, requests for fixes and enhancements may push Steven over the edge.
I directly copy and pasted it from the current website's feature page :P

If "ULTIMATE" is going to be used, and I too am not sure it should, then it should be "unlimate" no caps.  Or perhaps only the first letter cap "Ultimate"

'Ultimate' sounds very enthusiastic to my ears, but I think it is appropriate.
Just as ultimate holiday, ultimate atmosphere, ultimate experience, etc.
Saying something like 'the best' would be very self-boasting, but this says that if you need a player/organizer, this is the ultimate one to get.
If you really don't like it, maybe change it to 'essential' or something like that?

About the 'Quality Matters' section:
The part of making an assumption on audiophiles choices could be a little bit questionable.
Maybe change it something along these lines:

Sound quality matters

I will leave this to you guys. Phred will do the final touch.

hiccup

That is a clever and nice compromise you have worked out.

I notice the screenshot icon was also removed for newbees. Is that intentional?
That would probably be a useful feature for them to have.

AvikB

Alumni

Might be worth mentioning that MusicBee can support 'bit-perfect' playback modes (ASIO and WASAPI), which is important to audiophiles.

AvikB

That is a clever and nice compromise you have worked out.
Thanks to B33Liver for the idea.

I guess.. I will probably add it back in the next update.

AvikB

I can confirm that the editor box is larger and works better now.  However, there's a small "block" bottom center of the box which turns my cursor to a "link" when hovering over it.  But it's not a link.

I guess i should have used a better cursor indication(fixed for next update).
Just click on it and drag to bottom and you will be able to resize the editor. The current forum has one too...... EXCEPT IT DOES NOT WORK!

phred

• Global Moderator
I guess.. I will probably add it back in the next update.
Yes, please do.  It's probably one of the most often asked questions/comments.  "I tried to post a screenshot but couldn't figure out how."

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

phred

• Global Moderator

Might be worth mentioning that MusicBee can support 'bit-perfect' playback modes (ASIO and WASAPI), which is important to audiophiles.
That's in a box in the middle of the "quality matters" section.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

redwing

How can I delete all my posts in this forum by just one click?
If not possible currently, can you add such a feature?