Author Topic: [WEBSITE v2] MusicBee website and forum redesign  (Read 556881 times)

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
A few suggestions:

Plus a whole lot more...
There are tons of features in MusicBee, check out MusicBee yourself. Also use the forum and don't forget to spread the word

Plus a whole lot more...
There are tons of features in MusicBee, use it yourself and see. Also check out the user forum and don't forget to spread the word!

I think this is good for the download page
MusicBee Beta
The beta version is under active development and is not the current stable version. It is intended for anyone interested in trying the latest features or bug fixes.
You should regularly check the forum for updates.

For the blue FORUM box

Already using MusicBee Beta?

Make sure you always have the latest patch!
    Last update on December 16, 2015
    download the latest patch
    and un-zip to your existing beta install folder
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

AvikB

For inclusion on the download page, "Will debugging support continue for XP?" is the question that needs to be answered.
you are right and the answer is no - so it shouldnt be included

You are able to mention any os related thing in the admin panel.

A few suggestions:

Plus a whole lot more...
There are tons of features in MusicBee, check out MusicBee yourself. Also use the forum and don't forget to spread the word

Plus a whole lot more...
There are tons of features in MusicBee, use it yourself and see. Also check out the user forum and don't forget to spread the word!

I think this is good for the download page
MusicBee Beta
The beta version is under active development and is not the current stable version. It is intended for anyone interested in trying the latest features or bug fixes.

For the blue FORUM box

I will leave this to phred, steven and you guys :)

Also the current forum and also the new forum both uses light theme. I personally don't use light theme in the night. I made a dark theme for my usage for the current forum and the new forum.

here are some screenshots:

I am thinking of providing a switch for the forum to switch between this themes, Currently i am using stylish to use them. SO if anyone is interested in a demo(this works with the current site too) i can provide the script. Otherwise you have to wait for the next major update.

phred

• Global Moderator
Plus a whole lot more...
There are tons of features in MusicBee. Use it yourself and see. Also check out the user forum and don't forget to spread the word!
I like this with the changes.

MusicBee Beta

For the blue FORUM box

I think either of the above work well in the blue forum box.  Bee-liever's is the shortest and would fit well.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Bigmelwalter

The "Have A Qustion? or Issue" section is mispelled and improper grammer, just so you know

phred

• Global Moderator
The "Have A Qustion? or Issue" section is mispelled and improper grammer, just so you know
Thank you.  That screenshot is just a mockup of the test page.  It hasn't been proofread yet.  But please continue to point out things like that.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

AvikB

the download page updated with the changes from phred. beta wordings have been improved.

hiccup

Also the current forum and also the new forum both uses light theme. I personally don't use light theme in the night. I made a dark theme for my usage for the current forum and the new forum.

I am thinking of providing a switch for the forum to switch between this themes, Currently i am using stylish to use them. SO if anyone is interested in a demo(this works with the current site too) i can provide the script. Otherwise you have to wait for the next major update.

Very nice, I will certainly use the dark theme when you have implemented that.

hiccup

About the menu bar at the top of the website: (well, and the forum, they seem identical at this moment)

Some entries are drop-down menu's (add-ons e.g.), but most are effectively buttons.
Wouldn't it be better to have some distinction between such an entry being either a button or a drop-down menu?
Now when hoovering over the 'buttons' I am awaiting and expecting a drop-down menu (which of course doesn't appear)

AvikB

About the menu bar at the top of the website: (well, and the forum, they seem identical at this moment)

Some entries are drop-down menu's (add-ons e.g.), but most are effectively buttons.
Wouldn't it be better to have some distinction between such an entry being either a button or a drop-down menu?
Now when hovering over the 'buttons' I am awaiting and expecting a drop-down menu (which of course doesn't appear)

The reason there is no dropdown icon is because, when you HOVER your mouse over them they drop. but dropdown icons are mostly used used for click-able dropdown(you have to click to dropdown the menu).

The addon button itself is a link, and the dropdown is the subcategories of that link. so clicking the addon will take you to addons.php and clicking on skins will take you to addons.php?skin which will only show you skins.

Now before you say anything about this WEIRD dropdown menu behavior, Coincidently the new forum also uses it(yes smf now use dropdown menu by default), without any dropdown icon. SO eventually you have to learn this weird menu behavior.

You will get used to it though.

hiccup

Now before you say anything about this WEIRD dropdown menu behavior, Coincidently the new forum also uses it(yes smf now use dropdown menu by default), without any dropdown icon. SO eventually you have to learn this weird menu behavior.
You will get used to it though.

Thnx for explaining the workings.
I (people) will surely get used to it, but there is still a little itch at the back of my head that says there could be a minor design improvement on this.
I'll test drive it some more, await the working of these menus in smf, and report back if I come up with an idea.

hiccup

About the "Boards you may like:" addition on the forum page. The idea behind it is creative.
But I think it has a slightly negative effect on the design of the whole page. Also, when the new structure of boards in it's place, navigation, available boards, and descriptions should be clear enough.

It could be handy on a forum with dozens of boards, but on the MB forum users should easily be able to decide and find what they want without steering them in a direction with 3 options.
Also some new users might get lazy, and just click on one of those before doing some minor checking for the board they really need to go to.

Similar buttons which could have a good purpose though, would perhaps be buttons like:

- Latest postings
- Todays postings (same as above, but limited to last 24 hours)
- This weeks most active board

Just throwing in a few ideas, I am sure we could come up with a few more if you like the general idea of this.

AvikB

It could be handy on a forum with dozens of boards, but on the MB forum users should easily be able to decide and find what they want without steering them in a direction with 3 options.
Also some new users might get lazy, and just click on one of those before doing some minor checking for the board they really need to go to.
i am one of those lazy bumps ;)

Similar buttons which could have a good purpose though, would perhaps be buttons like:

- Latest postings

Just throwing in a few ideas, I am sure we could come up with a few more if you like the general idea of this.
After giving some thoughts into this matter, i think i like your idea.

I have pushed another update to forum containing these changes:
1. All new dark theme(you need to clear the cache or refresh atleast)
2. Useful links(recent posts, and others)
3. Few major restyled forum component.

and admin panel
1. The view page is re-factored and almost 2/3 of the code is reduced.
2. Better notification system, and also removed the separation between addon center and admin panel notification code(no more duplicated codes)
3. Better readability for forms. and also some major styling changes.
4. Whenever a task is performed an overlay will show.

There are also a lots of other changes. But this is it for now. more forum changes are coming soon.

OH and the forum has new emojis too.

phred

• Global Moderator

- Latest postings

The soon-to-be former forum had "Show unread posts since last visit."  I haven't seen that in the new forum.  Perhaps that could be added to the new dropdown.  This is my starting point for every time I visit the forum.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

AvikB

- Latest postings

The soon-to-be former forum had "Show unread posts since last visit."  I haven't seen that in the new forum.  Perhaps that could be added to the new dropdown.  This is my starting point for every time I visit the forum.

It is already there, just slightly renamed. Recent unread topic is the same as Show unread posts since last visit

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Is there any possibility of putting All Unread Topics as a link on the main forum page?  That's the one I use the most.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)