Author Topic: [WEBSITE v2] MusicBee website and forum redesign  (Read 551402 times)

hiccup

for the forum page, i think the boxes at the top could be reduced in height so more of the forum page is visible.
For the wording in the "Get the Latest MusicBee" i was wanting it (or somewhere on the forum page) to show the instructions to get the latest patched version
I guess thats going to be potentially confusing to some people so the wording would need careful consideration. I dont have the inspiration at the moment for that but perhaps others can chp in?

To be sure we're all on the same page here; when you mention "Get the Latest MusicBee" here, do you want that to refer to the latest stable version, or to the latest patch? (download and overwrite existing files)
And you are strictly speaking about the forum page. Correct?

phred

• Global Moderator
http://test.getmusicbee.com/
just as a starting point for suggested wording (anyone feel free to improve it)
MusicBee Beta
The beta version is under active development and is not the current stable version. It is intended for anyone interested in trying the latest features or bug fixes.
You should regularly check the forum for updates.

Let me think about the wording of the rest of this.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Steven

• Administrator
To be sure we're all on the same page here; when you mention "Get the Latest MusicBee" here, do you want that to refer to the latest stable version, or to the latest patch? (download and overwrite existing files)
yes this is only the forum i am talking about and only the latest patched version (so there is no installer and is for bug fixes or the first introduction of new features)
thats why its potentially confusing.
I dont want the patched version on the downloads page for reasons i have stated previously

AvikB

Using Firefox and IE - both installs have never looked at the test site before - whatever doesn't fit in the open window does not show until I scroll down.  And then the text and images slowly fade in to view.

any screenshot or giffy might help me detect the problem.

Also what resolution are you using?

for the forum page, i think the boxes at the top could be reduced in height so more of the forum page is visible.
Fixed for the next update

For the wording in the "Get the Latest MusicBee" i was wanting it (or somewhere on the forum page) to show the instructions to get the latest patched version
I guess thats going to be potentially confusing to some people so the wording would need careful consideration. I dont have the inspiration at the moment for that but perhaps others can chp in?
If some one can choose the wording, i will update it. BUT the instruction needs to be really short, otherwise it won't fit in there.

I have sent the download page files to @Phred. So hiccup, phred, steven you guys can decide the wording. and when done phred can modify and fix them and send me back the final one.

hiccup

yes this is only the forum i am talking about and only the latest patched version (so there is no installer and is for bug fixes or the first introduction of new features)
thats why its potentially confusing.
I dont want the patched version on the downloads page for reasons i have stated previously

Ok, I thought to ask, because the "Get the Latest MusicBee" button AvikB created on the forum page currently refers to the latest stable version. But if I read you well, you want that button to refer to the latest patch instead.

hiccup

This might be a bit too long, but this is my suggestion for the "download latest patch" button:

Download the latest patch

Download and install this only if you have a specific issue that was discussed an addressed in the forum.
Instructions: extract the downloaded files and copy (overwrite) them to your MusicBee installation folder.

phred

• Global Moderator
This might be a bit too long, but this is my suggestion for the "download latest patch" button:

Download and install this only if you have a specific issue that was discussed an addressed in the forum.
Instructions: extract the downloaded files and copy (overwrite) them to your MusicBee installation folder.
Nothing personal, but I don't like the "only if" description.  Also, I think it's rather long.  What's wrong with what Steven wrote (and I slightly modified) -

The beta version is under active development and is not the current stable version. It is intended for anyone interested in trying the latest features or bug fixes.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Steven

• Administrator
i think a few words could be chopped out
Download this version if you have a specific issue that has been addressed in the forum.

phred or anyone else - please dont feel constrained by what i suggest

hiccup

Nothing personal, but I don't like the "only if" description.  Also, I think it's rather long.  What's wrong with what Steven wrote (and I slightly modified) -

Nothing personal too, but I am leaving this matter now.
There is too much confusion going on here about forum vs website, download latest version vs latest patch vs latest beta, etc.
Steven asked himself for suggestions on wordings for download latest patch. I contributed for that.

Steven

• Administrator
@hiccup - thats right.
The current test forum (blue) box refers to the latest stable version. Thats not what i want for this.
Its the wording to provide instructions to get the latest patch version. It will only appear on the forum in that blue box

@phred - in my original post i was also commenting on the downloads page, and that wording i suggesred related to the downloads page.
In addition to that, i was also suggesting the blue information box on the forum page be updated. For that i didnt provide any suggested wording. So what hiccup has come up with is needed. I do think it could be edited down in length to fit better in the box and hence i have made some suggested tweaks to hiccups wording
Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 08:31:25 PM by Steven

AvikB

phred

• Global Moderator
Nothing personal too, but I am leaving this matter now.
There is too much confusion going on here about forum vs website, download latest version vs latest patch vs latest beta, etc.
Steven asked himself for suggestions on wordings for download latest patch. I contributed for that.
I can see how I contributed to the confusion.  AvikB sent me the 'download page' to look at and work on.  And that's been clouding my brain regarding Steven's comments on the -forum- page.  Although, in the interest of consistency, they should both say the same thing when referring to the latest -stable- version (2.5.5804 - released Nov 22 2015) and to any subsequent patches.  And Steven has stated previously that 3.x is -not- a beta release yet.  So should v3 even be mentioned at this point?

As for the blue box at the top of the Forum page---
Get the latest patch.
Download this version if you have a specific issue that has been addressed in the forum.
Simply unzip into your MusicBee folder and overwrite existing files.

And a question for Steven:  Should the operating systems listed include XP or not?  The current download page includes it.  And it does indeed run on XP.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Steven

• Administrator
for the operating systems, i havent actually tested it on XP. I might do so this weekend but i am ok for now to leave it out

also see my edit to my previous post

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
And a question for Steven:  Should the operating systems listed include XP or not?  The current download page includes it.  And it does indeed run on XP.

for the operating systems, i havent actually tested it on XP. I might do so this weekend but i am ok for now to leave it out

For inclusion on the download page, "Will debugging support continue for XP?" is the question that needs to be answered.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

Steven

• Administrator
For inclusion on the download page, "Will debugging support continue for XP?" is the question that needs to be answered.
you are right and the answer is no - so it shouldnt be included