Author Topic: [WEBSITE v2] MusicBee website and forum redesign  (Read 551820 times)

Steven

• Administrator
btw i have question for you since you are a mod in the current forum.

In the current forum you can see a user's ip address and ip-block him, which i removed in the new forum since ip-address blocking is not accurate and can cause issues for others.
Do you actually use it? if so i might add it otherwise i will leave it as it is.
i used to block by ip address but as you suggest it can cause issues because spammers use hijacked pc's these days. Saying that, i would still want the ability to do that if i needed to

AvikB

btw i have question for you since you are a mod in the current forum.

In the current forum you can see a user's ip address and ip-block him, which i removed in the new forum since ip-address blocking is not accurate and can cause issues for others.
Do you actually use it? if so i might add it otherwise i will leave it as it is.
i used to block by ip address but as you suggest it can cause issues because spammers use hijacked pc's these days. Saying that, i would still want the ability to do that if i needed to

Do you use it from the posts view or as phred says from mod panel?

hiccup

I am decided on that structure, the wording can be improved.

Can you say what wordings you are not sure about?

Yes it is pretty simple, a bit time consuming though, since moving, renaming, adding description.
No programming is required. you will need admin rank to do so btw. Ask steven he should be able to make you admin in the test forum.

I'm willing and able to do that. But I would like it if we are (for 99%) agreed on the structure and naming before I do that.
Also, I am curious about this:
Since there are some discrepancies in the structure and boards between the old and new forum, simply exporting all existing boards and topics will probably not be possible.
Should we design some simple diagram where we can see where old topics and boards should go in the new forum structure?

AvikB

Speaking for myself as a moderator, I typically don't block someone via the IP because as you say, it might cause issues for others.  But there have been a couple of times where I have blocked the user's IP.  But this is always done from the 'ban user' option and not from within an offending post.  As long as the IP logging remains somewhere, I don't think there's a need to have the option show in the post.  Hiccup and/or Steven may feel otherwise and I would default to whatever Steven says.

I have only removed from posts view, it is still available in the forum moderator/admin panel.

AvikB

from the admin panel
Ok, thats fine, i won't add back in post view then.
"report to moderator", "quick edit" is still available though.

hiccup

To refresh our minds, this is where I believe we left off some three months ago:

ANNOUNCEMENT

MusicBee Release               information on the latest official release version
MusicBee Pre-Release         the latest 'nightly' and pre-release versions

GENERAL

Tips and Tricks
General Discussions            Child boards: Discussing MusicBee, Polls
MusicBee Wishlist

MUSICBEE ADDONS

Customisations                  Child boards: TheaterMode, Skins, Icons, Visualisers, Localisation, Showcase
Plugins

SUPPORT

Questions                         Child boards: Questions on MusicBee, Support in non-English languages only
Bug Reports
Developers                       Child boards: MusicBee API, Skins, TheaterMode

BEYOND MUSICBEE          Child boards:Related Interests, Rubbish Bin

Edit,
If there is not much enthusiasm about a foreign language board (it was only a suggestion from me I don't care about very strongly), support would just be be:

SUPPORT

Questions
Bug Reports
Developers                       Child boards: MusicBee API, Skins, TheaterMode

AvikB

Can you say what wordings you are not sure about?
I am talking about board descriptions, since you haven't proposed any description for most boards here:
http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=16894.msg99771#msg99771

we need to get descriptions for boards and then changing it by other member's feedback as needed.

I'm willing and able to do that. But I would like it if we are (for 99%) agreed on the structure and naming before I do that.
We seemed to resolve this a long time ago. The naming structure is fine :)

Also, I am curious about this:
Since there are some discrepancies in the structure and boards between the old and new forum, simply exporting all existing boards and topics will probably not be possible.
Should we design some simple diagram where we can see where old topics and boards should go in the new forum structure?
that would be a good idea.

The structure is not too different, the only problem would be question board, since currently all questions are in general we need to rename general into questions, and move the sticky thread to general. others should be easy, since they require just renaming and moving.

hiccup

I am talking about board descriptions, since you haven't proposed any description for most boards here:

I wasn't aware I was holding things up ;-)
Ok, here are some further proposals:

ANNOUNCEMENT

MusicBee Release               information on the latest official release
MusicBee Pre-Release         information on the latest pre-releases

GENERAL

Tips and Tricks                  provide advice and tips to others - no questions please!
General Discussions           general MusicBee and forum discussions
      Child boards: Polls
MusicBee Wishlist              make a wish for what you like to see in the next version?

MUSICBEE ADDONS

Customisations                  discussing add-ons extending visuals and interface
      Child boards: TheaterMode, Skins, Icons, Visualisers, Localisation, Showcase
Plugins                              discussing add-ons extending functionality

SUPPORT

Questions                          need help?
      Child boards: Support in non-English languages only
Bug Reports                       report factual bugs and malfunctions
Developers                        developers discussion board
      Child boards: MusicBee API, Skins, TheaterMode

BEYOND MUSICBEE           talk about anything not related to MusicBee
      Child boards:Rubbish Bin

AvikB

do we need poll as a child board? we can post polls in general board.

hiccup

do we need poll as a child board? we can post polls in general board.

haha, 'polls' was something you brought up. You seemed to have some serious plans with it, so I just thought to give it a special place ;-)

AvikB

haha, 'polls' was something you brought up. You seemed to have some serious plans with it, so I just thought to give it a special place ;-)
For serious plans i only intended it's use for voting any specific feature, or using it for getting feedback, a special section is too much i guess :P

hiccup

Looking at this part, I have doubts if it is an improvement to have the announcement board split in two between 'latest official' and 'latest pre-release'.
Especially since it is announcements only, and only Steven contributes to that, I think that works well and looks clean.

But perhaps for discussing releases that are under development, there could be a child board for that under 'General'?
Steven?

ANNOUNCEMENT

MusicBee Release               information on the latest official release
MusicBee Pre-Release         information on the latest pre-releases

phred

• Global Moderator
For serious plans i only intended it's use for voting any specific feature, or using it for getting feedback, a special section is too much i guess :P
Make sure that if/when using a poll to gather votes for adding specific features that there's a disclaimer stating something like "just because a feature rates high in the voting, that's not a guarantee that it will be added."
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

hiccup

Are you working on something right now?
Some serious corruption here: