Author Topic: [WEBSITE v2] MusicBee website and forum redesign  (Read 556515 times)

phred

• Global Moderator
what do you mean by side by side? the image of the skin will be uploaded either by mod/admin or the author itself, so different muiscbee setup will have different musicbee layout, and comparing them while skinned will be weird thing as some screenshot will look a lot more different than other. :/
My use of the words "side by side" was just an example of a possible layout for the skin screenshots.  My point is that I strongly feel there needs to be a place where they can all be seen in comparison with one another.

In the current implementation of the forum, it is impossible to compare skins.  For instance, I'm feeling blue and want a blue skin.  I would have to open every new thread on the skins sub-forum in order to see a screenshot.  On the Wiki, I can just go to "skins > all skins by author" and see them all in one place, one under the other, all the same size and look for something blue. 
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

AvikB

what do you mean by side by side? the image of the skin will be uploaded either by mod/admin or the author itself, so different muiscbee setup will have different musicbee layout, and comparing them while skinned will be weird thing as some screenshot will look a lot more different than other. :/
My use of the words "side by side" was just an example of a possible layout for the skin screenshots.  My point is that I strongly feel there needs to be a place where they can all be seen in comparison with one another.

In the current implementation of the forum, it is impossible to compare skins.  For instance, I'm feeling blue and want a blue skin.  I would have to open every new thread on the skins sub-forum in order to see a screenshot.  On the Wiki, I can just go to "skins > all skins by author" and see them all in one place, one under the other, all the same size and look for something blue. 

oh, don't worry the new site skin section will also have the ability to filter through a color: like blue or red or anything else

Steven

• Administrator
in regards to the release notes i am not planning to do more than what i currently do ie. just a sumary of the major points of the release. Anyone who really cares can check the latest release forum topic which lists in detail all changes made as they are done

hiccup

also what firefox version are you using? somefirefox version has weird font rendering issue

The same as you, 42.0
It's probably not a specific Firefox issue. Roboto looks similarly ugly in Word on my system.
I don't have Chrome installed, so I can't tell you how that would look.

hiccup

Roboto is great for smartphone displays and tablets. I recommend PT Sans.

A few of the usual suspects,including PT Sans and Roboto:

I like Calibri and Verdana a lot. They look very clean and well readable, even at very small font sizes.
Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 05:37:28 PM by hiccup

phred

• Global Moderator
Whatever the outcome on what the font winds up being, it should be a font that is available in all Windows editions.  For instance, Roboto is not installed on my Win7 machine.  Therefore Firefox will substitute something else where Roboto should be.  Remember, not everyone has access to all the same fonts unless they were installed with Windows.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

AvikB

Whatever the outcome on what the font winds up being, it should be a font that is available in all Windows editions.  For instance, Roboto is not installed on my Win7 machine.  Therefore Firefox will substitute something else where Roboto should be.  Remember, not everyone has access to all the same fonts unless they were installed with Windows.

NO, the fon't does not need to be installed!
the browser gets the font from fonts.googleapis.com
this is how i do it right now:
Code
@import url(https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Roboto:400,100,300,700);

it has nothing to do with windows machine. ROBOTO is a widely used font for website development.

AvikB

I like Calibri and Verdana a lot. They look very clean and well readable, even at very small font sizes.

damn all of those fonts look so edgy!! i will see what i can do

phred

• Global Moderator
NO, the fon't does not need to be installed!
the browser gets the font from fonts.googleapis.com
this is how i do it right now:
Code
@import url(https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Roboto:400,100,300,700);
it has nothing to do with windows machine. ROBOTO is a widely used font for website development.
I'm sorry.  If that's the case, then I stand corrected.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

AvikB

The font issue is now fixed
i have pushed an update which should fix the font issue.

i didn't change font to Verdana or Calibri just to fix this issue. instead the site still use Roboto. BUT switch to Verdana and Arial when fon't smoothing is disabled.

Not only the forum but the whole site should fix these issue, can you confirm the fix?

hiccup

Confirmed.

My eyes thank you!
Sharp as a razor again:

(funny to see, when opening the webpage or forum for a first time, you see the alternative font kicking in after around a second)

Steven

• Administrator
for me, most of the fonts look like Roboto, except all the text in the "General" section and in the "Support" section which looks like Times New Roman to me.
eg. the "General" and "Support" headers, along with all other text such as "Advanced search" look Roboto but "Latest Version" is Times New Roman

AvikB

Confirmed.

My eyes thank you!
Sharp as a razor again:

werid, i have no clue how you can stare at those razer sharp fonts :O my eye bleeds even staring at them.

(funny to see, when opening the webpage or forum for a first time, you see the alternative font kicking in after around a second)

yeah, thats mostly because there is TONS of CSS to load, before it reaches that style part :) and i already have mentioned default font style at the top(which is roboto), and then at line 530 these replacements are mentioned! i might move them to top for better loading.

AvikB

for me, most of the fonts look like Roboto, except all the text in the "General" section and in the "Support" section which looks like Times New Roman to me.
eg. the "General" and "Support" headers, along with all other text such as "Advanced search" look Roboto but "Latest Version" is Times New Roman

I used mostly Arial and Verdana, dunno about Times New Roman! i might change "Latest Version" to Arial instead of Verdana... thats not the priority though, working on the addon center.

hiccup

weird, i have no clue how you can stare at those razer sharp fonts :O my eye bleeds even staring at them.

Different folks, different strokes ;-)
But I do have f.lux running to avoid 'looking into the sun'. Otherwise it would probably hurt my eyes too.