Author Topic: Library  (Read 1767 times)

krolyn

Dear all,

I am a long time Winamp fan and, since it is no longer supported, I thought it was time to change media player.
I looked around a bit and MusicBee seems to be quite good!

However, there are something about the Music Library that I quite don't follow. When I installed it I was asked for a folder to import songs from. I selected folder "A" and all seemed to work fine... However, the list of watched folders is empty! Shouldn't this folder be considered a watched folder too? What if I want to stop including files from this folder? What if I change files around and delete this folder?
I actually set another folder to be watched and it worked, but if I go to File->Scan Folders for new Files, the new folder is not there but folder "A" is!!!

As I see it, just have all folders associated with a library to be "watched folders" and to show up by default on File->Scan Folders for new Files.
This way all would be more straightforward (I think..)

thanks,

Alumni

Hello and welcome.
I suppose that might be a bit confusing for new users, it just depends on how you prefer your library to operate. Watched folders are more efficient when your files are also automatically managed - but some users will want to have complete control over their files. There might be certain situations where you want to manually organize your directories, but still want the option of adding new files quickly and easily.

krolyn

before anything, thanks for your quick reply!

So,m from what you say, MB has two ways to add music. A "standard" one where you just pick songs/folders to add to your library, and the "watched folers" where you pick some folders that are monitored at startup (or whenever you set it).

I must say I find the watched folders much more intuitive, but fair enough! :)
But then, if I add some folders the "standard" way how do I remove them afterwards? just delete them from the library?
But what if I delete a file from the library that is actually on a watched folder? Will it be re-added next time MB scans the watched folder?

thanks,

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Yes, if you added files through the "scan for new files command" you can just delete them from the library.

If you remove files from the library but they are still in a monitored folder, they will be added again on next start.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)