Author Topic: Question About Embedding Artwork In WMA Files  (Read 4353 times)

XrayDoc88

I'm trying to decide if MusicBee will help me embed my own scanned images.

Currently all of my artwork files are custom scans of CD covers or photos of vinyl album covers.  Every file is placed in the album folder with the name "Folder.jpg".  This has worked fine when using Windows Media Player.  I've discovered that when I copy my music to my android phone, the artwork doesn't display.  I thought that if I embedded the artwork into every song file that perhaps that would work better with my portable devices.

1.  Is this correct?  I kind of hate the idea of making every single music file larger with embedded artwork.  But is this still the best way to handle smart phones for displaying the artwork?
2.  Will MusicBee allow me to embed my own scans, or will I only be able to embed artwork that it finds on the internet?
3.  Is there an ideal or best scan resolution or pixel size to use?  I want the artwork to look nice, but also don't want file sizes to be excessive.
4.  How do I actually use MusicBee to embed artwork?  Can you do batch embedding into all the songs on a single album or do you have to embed one song at a time?

Thanks!

Pingaware

Only short answers I'm afraid, but I'm sure other people will be along to help.

1) As far as I know, yes.
2) You can use any image file in MB. I think the format gets converted, but don't quote me on that.
3) A lot of people who care about high quality images of artwork (including me) use 1000*1000.
4) Select all the files you want to have the same artwork, go to the artwork tab in the tag editor, and make sure that the checkbox for Embed Artwork is ticked. Then just paste it in.

I will say that if you're only planning on using MB for this one task and are going to keep on using WMP for your actual music library, then there are probably more suitable tools than MB.
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Everything Pingaware said is right, just supplementing:

1. You can keep using folder.jpg on your computer add have MusicBee embed the artwork when you sync.  You can configure it in sync settings.  Also, what artwork format the phone will handle depends on the capabilities of the player you're using.  Many Android music players can handle art work in the album folder just fine.

2. Yes, just configure artwork retrieval settings in Tags (1) and rescan (which may happen automatically)

3. If you're only embedding for your mobile device, there's no point in making the artwork bigger than the device's screen resolution.

4. See (2).  If you configure your retrieval and storage settings correctly, it will embed your scans automatically.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

XrayDoc88

Thanks for the quick responses.  So how is MusicBee as a music player and library manager?  I've used WMP for a long time, but I'm not married to it.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Thanks for the quick responses.  So how is MusicBee as a music player and library manager?  I've used WMP for a long time, but I'm not married to it.

Well, I think you can reasonably expect that anyone here will tell you it's worth it to switch to MusicBee. :)

But seriously, what are your most important criteria?  MB can help you with organizing files, finding artwork and lyrics, all manner of tagging, podcasts, radio streams, burning and ripping CDs, auto playlists...  but unlike WMP, it won't do anything you don't tell it to.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

vincent kars

Been a WMP user too.
Thinks I didn’t like
-   Unable to choose audio drivers like WASAPI or ASIO hence no bit perfect playback
-   No support for FLAC (before Win 10)
-   Embedded album art resized to 250x250
-   Custom tags are library only, a disaster I f you lose the  lib or migrates
-   Interface fixed, can’t make views like “by composition”