Author Topic: MusicBrainz Picard q & a thread  (Read 89830 times)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I think some screenshots of your settings and the results would be helpful here
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

MTVhike

Here is a screen shot of my "main window" (I'm not sure what you call it). To put in the Picard tags, I clicked on "Edit Preferences" in the upper left-hand corner, and got the screen shown. I selected Custom1 in Tags(1) and entered "Picard title full". I then selected define new tags and got the "New custom tag definition" screen and copied and pasted the scripts there. The little red dots on two of them say that there's something wrong, but I can't figure out what. And, there is no correlation as to which tags have the red dots and which are or are not shown on the main window.

MTVhike

Although my prefious reply had the https://imgur.com/6B7ICOl" />
Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 02:57:02 PM by MTVhike

hiccup

"…"

With all due respect, I really understand and can relate to the difficulties you are experiencing in trying to master all this new stuff.
But… some questions that you have asked before, are explained well (including screenshots) in my 'classical tutorial' that motivated you to pick up this challenge.

Now you are running into issues and are asking for help on things that are not related to the Picard thread you are in now.
It is all becoming messy this way, and it is in everybody's best interest to keep things focused and to the point, and avoid the same issues scattered and repeated all over MusicBee's forum.

Please consider referencing the plethora of information that already is available on the forum and on the wiki, and if things still aren't clear, find the appropriate board to get assistance.

By the way, I have no issues at all with you asking questions in my 'classical tutorial' Tips & Tricks thread.
But only if you encounter problems specifically related to the main post: maybe the tutorial is unclear or incomplete, maybe the formulas and scripts themselves have problems,  Then it is fine with me to get some feedback or questions there.
Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 03:42:04 PM by hiccup

MTVhike

Hiccup, I consider your well thought-out classical tutorial to be in two parts, the first on how to use Picard, and the second on how to integrate those scripts into MusicBee. Should I post the questions I posted here, in the 'classical tutorial' Tips & Tricks thread? It appears that my problem is NOT with the classical threads in particular, but in not understanding how custom tags (with scripts) work in Music Bee. Since the scripts are copied directly from Page 1 of the Tutorial, I assume there are no errors in them.

If I go to Edit Preferences, etc. as in my previous comment, I can create the custom tags. But if I right-click on the track and select Tag Inspector, I see only ARTIST, ENCODER, and TITLE, and if I select Tags(2), I see the renamed custom 1 tag, but none of the virtual tags created under Define New Tags.

hiccup

Hiccup, I consider your well thought-out classical tutorial to be in two parts, the first on how to use Picard, and the second on how to integrate those scripts into MusicBee.

No, you should consider them this:

Not 'how to use' Picard, but what settings you need to apply to it for this system of mine to work.
It is also not aiming to explain how MusicBee's custom and virtual tags work.
It is only explaining which tags you must setup.

Neither is this thread intended for learning about custom and virtual tags.

As I said before, there is already a massive amount of information on using custom and virtual tags to be found.

And if you need or want to understand and learn Picard better, this thread already contains a lot of information on it, but it would probably be a much better idea to go here:
https://picard-docs.musicbrainz.org/en/index.html
Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 06:22:52 PM by hiccup

PROblem

Its possible to get <release group> musicbrainz info from musicbee or I should use musicbrainz to tag songs and after that use custom tags on musicbee?

https://musicbrainz.org/doc/Release_Group/Type

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you trying to tag something with Picard that will be visible in MusicBee? It will take a little work for a non-standard tag but it's possible.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

PROblem

I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you trying to tag something with Picard that will be visible in MusicBee? It will take a little work for a non-standard tag but it's possible.

Yep, I want to edit the information of my music album with some musicbrainz info.
Specifically this info Ive been doing manually for the latest month, but maybe musicbee is capable to get this automatically.

Thanks for respond

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
What I would do in this situation is create a custom tag in MusicBee called something like Release Group or MusicBrainz RG. Then add a script in Picard that will write to that tag.

I can give you more specifics when I'm at the computer; I know there's a slight difference between how MusicBee and Picard represent custom tag frames. The article I linked in the first post on a Picard script should be a decent reference.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

frankz

I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you trying to tag something with Picard that will be visible in MusicBee?
Yep, I want to edit the information of my music album with some musicbrainz info.
Specifically this info Ive been doing manually for the latest month, but maybe musicbee is capable to get this automatically.
You understand that "tag something with Picard" is different than "get this automatically" in Musicbee, right? This is not Musicbee doing the tagging.  You will need to do your tagging in Picard and then set up Musicbee to read those tags.
Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 03:18:22 PM by frankz

PROblem

I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you trying to tag something with Picard that will be visible in MusicBee?
You understand that "tag something with Picard" is different than "get this automatically" in Musicbee, right? This is not Musicbee doing the tagging.  You will need to do your tagging in Picard and then set up Musicbee to read those tags.

So... When I use the autotag tool on MB is not getting the info that I wan to add? (Release type)

That Ive trying to achieve is getting what type of release from musicbee, no mattee if this come from musicbrainz or discogs.

phred

• Global Moderator
So... When I use the autotag tool on MB is not getting the info that I wan to add? (Release type)
That Ive trying to achieve is getting what type of release from musicbee, no mattee if this come from musicbrainz or discogs.

You seem to have missed this:
You understand that "tag something with Picard" is different than "get this automatically" in Musicbee, right? This is not Musicbee doing the tagging.  You will need to do your tagging in Picard and then set up Musicbee to read those tags.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

hiccup

So you are not using MusicBrainz' Picard?
There is a reason that 'Picard' is in the title of this topic.
It would be good not to post questions here that don't have anything to do with Picard.

edit
sorry phred, I am aware my reply coincided with yours ;-)
Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 09:06:55 PM by hiccup

PROblem

So you are not using MusicBrainz' Picard?
There is a reason that 'Picard' is in the title of this topic.
It would be good not to post questions here that don't have anything to do with Picard.

edit
sorry phred, I am aware my reply coincided with yours ;-)

First of all, sorry for my english, maybe is harder to understand what im trying to say,
Yep, Im using Picard (ive tried to use beets, but It so much harder without gui)

If I tag the <release type> on picard, I should create a custom tag to use on musicbee, right?

That Ive asked as well, if its possible to use picard from musicbee to get the RELEASE TYPE
Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 09:24:14 PM by PROblem