Author Topic: MusicBrainz Picard q & a thread  (Read 90893 times)

sadsack5000

@psychoadept sorry i had another question re: your musicbrainz scripts

As above i am setting my Artist tag to mirror ArtistS. I need it this way so Asset UPNP recognises featured artists

I am toying with using the Guest Artist tag for MusicBee filtering/sorting purposes but your line $setmulti(GUEST ARTIST,$replace(%artists%,%artist%; ,)) won't work for me

I need to somehow extract all artists AFTER the first in my ArtistS or Artist tag but i dont have the skill... or even know if it's possible. Do you know how to do this?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I'm not sure I understand what you're asking for. That script will remove the first value from the Artists tag before setting Guest Artist.

No, sorry, I see the problem. Probably you need $rreplace to get rid of everything up to and including the first semi colon. It shouldn't be too complicated but I don't have time to work through the regex right now.
Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 03:09:29 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

sadsack5000

By pure dumb luck and scratching together bits from the internet i think this is working $set(Guest Artist,$rreplace(%artists%,^[^;]*;,))

Results look good so far but i'll feed when i know its working correctly

EDIT i spoke to soon. For tracks without a featured artist i.e. a single artist it just takes that artist when i want it to return blank :( back to the drawing board

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
By pure dumb luck and scratching together bits from the internet i think this is working $set(Guest Artist,$rreplace(%artists%,^[^;]*;,))

Results look good so far but i'll feed when i know its working correctly

EDIT i spoke to soon. For tracks without a featured artist i.e. a single artist it just takes that artist when i want it to return blank :( back to the drawing board

Sounds like you need to search for 0 or more semicolons
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

sadsack5000

Tried a bunch of regular expressions off the internet but failed. My brain is fried. Might have to post this up on some regex forum as i know zero about regex

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I've found this site really helpful for regex: https://regexr.com/
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

hiccup

Ok so i guess a custom tag is my best bet. I tried to map TXXX/ARTISTS and it proved difficult. I cant seem to get it to work
What have you got in "New Custom Tag Definition" for TXXX/ARTISTS?

Just in case you or somebody else wants to add 'Artists' as a custom tag to MusicBee, be sure to name that custom tag something else then 'Artists'.

Even though MusicBee will allow you to name it like that, it might conflict or bring confusion at some places where MusicBee does already use 'Artists' for another purpose.
(you can e.g. already select it for virtual formulas, or have it displayed in track detail view)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Ok so i guess a custom tag is my best bet. I tried to map TXXX/ARTISTS and it proved difficult. I cant seem to get it to work
What have you got in "New Custom Tag Definition" for TXXX/ARTISTS?

Just in case you or somebody else wants to add 'Artists' as a custom tag to MusicBee, be sure to name that custom tag something else then 'Artists'.

Even though MusicBee will allow you to name it like that, it might conflict or bring confusion at some places where MusicBee does already use 'Artists' for another purpose.
(you can e.g. already select it for virtual formulas, or have it displayed in track detail view)

That's a good point. Artists in MusicBee is a virtual tag that acts very similar to Artists in Picard, giving an unformatted list of values in the various artist-related tags.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

sadsack5000

Ok so together with the guys over on the musicbrainz forum i was able to make this script to extract all artists after the 1st (main artist) and copy into Guest Artists

$setmulti(GUEST ARTIST,$rreplace(%artists%,^[^;]*;,))
$if($eq($get(GUEST ARTIST),%artist%),$set(GUEST ARTIST,),)

However in my setup there is another problem. Since i'm already entering multiple artists in Artist (for Asset UPNP) the script above effectively makes artists appear as both an Artist and Guest Artist in the multiple artist splitter.

e.g.

display artist:
Ludacris

artists:
Ludacris   - Artist
Chingy     - Artist
I-20         - Artist
Tity Boi    - Artist
Chingy     - Guest Artist
I-20         - Guest Artist
Tity Boi    - Guest Artist

MusicBee doesnt seem to like this as when i set my thumbnail browser to Artist: Guest and go to any of these guest artists no tracks can be found

Strangely enough though.... some tracks with less guest artists show up fine under the respective guest artist of the thumbnail browser. Weird

I checked tag inspector for the oddball files and all seems fine. Multiple line items for TXXX\Guest Artist as expected

Is there some something in the backend that changes MusicBee's behaviour if the number of artists in Multiple Artist Splitter is greater than X?
Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 12:49:55 PM by sadsack5000

hiccup

I didn't read everything in detail, so I am not suggesting at all that this is the solution to what you are trying to achieve here, and I may very well miss the actual point completely, but this thought came up and I thought to share it:

You can force Picard to always write the 'display artist' tag, and have it containing the value as you prefer it:
$set(display artist,{enter the conditions for what you want 'display artist' to get populated with})

MusicBee will then use 'display artist' in some locations (overruling the standard artist/TPE1 tag), and your DLNA applications can still use the standard artist tag.
(it will only show up in displaying-related locations though, not in filtering-related locations)

Maybe this could be a little cogwheel in your scheme and is worth some experimenting?
Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 05:26:24 PM by hiccup

sadsack5000

Thanks hiccup i've already done exactly what you suggested actually. Like Display Artist i was aiming to use Guest Artist for MusicBee only but it seems to clash with having identical multi-value tags in both Artist and Guest Artist.

hiccup

Thanks hiccup i've already done exactly what you suggested actually.

Great.
It's probably me, but I must say I have some difficulty with the rather vague and ambiguous concept of 'guest' to begin with.
Therefor I myself would be very hesitant to give it any role of importance in my scripting and scheme.

sadsack5000

@psychoadept the patch in your signature solved my issue in post #113. Latest official version 3.3.7165 has this as a bug

But all good now, display artist sorted, guest artist sorted, artists sorted. Nice and crisp mp3's  8)

hiccup

I wish musicbee could read the recording tags from picard,

It should already work for flac. For mp3 have you already tried the script as suggested by somebody in that thread?:

$copy(_id3:TXXX:MUSICBRAINZ TRACK ID,musicbrainz_recordingid)