Author Topic: MusicBrainz Picard q & a thread  (Read 89842 times)

karaluh

Is there a way for Picard to recognize MB rating? I'm trying to sync my ratings with MusicBrainz and this would be the best course of action.
ListenBrainz plugin for MusicBee:
https://github.com/karaluh/ScrobblerBrainz

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Based on this very old Picard ticket, I would guess no: https://tickets.metabrainz.org/browse/PICARD-130

However, you can get better help on ratings and Picard at the MusicBrainz forum: https://community.metabrainz.org/
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Forcen

I wish there was an easier way to check the musicbrainz site from musicbee directly, preferably by right clicking a track or something.

Is there any way to make custom web links to the MusicBrainz pages for each release, recording, artist, etc?
For example, a track might have this tag (from mediainfo lite)
MusicBrainz Album Id        : f2c9734d-707c-4d09-92e6-244d741bf94e
Could musicbrainz take that tag and make a custom weblink to this page?
https://musicbrainz.org/release/f2c9734d-707c-4d09-92e6-244d741bf94e

Looks like custom web links can be made for searching for artist tags but I can't tell if musicbee can use these tags in some way.
Maybe web links don't show up quite where I thought they would but it's something at least.

It's a shame that most of my music got these specific tags that tie to an online database but musicbrainz can't take advantage of it really.

frankz

Web links are on the now playing screen for me, right clicking on the track info.

You can make a custom tag (maybe, or a virtual tag, I am not an expert on either) with MusicBrainz's Album ID and then make a web link to it.

https://musicbrainz.org/release/<YOURTAG>
Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 03:46:30 PM by frankz

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Web links are on the now playing screen for me, right clicking on the track info.

You can make a custom tag (maybe, or a virtual tag, I am not an expert on either) with MusicBrainz's Album ID and then make a web link to it.

https://musicbrainz.org/release/<YOURTAG>

Yes, if you have the MusicBrainz ID in a custom tag, you can use it to construct a link.  You actually don't even need a virtual tag; the links under Internet can be constructed with templates.  (See the wiki for more on templates.)
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

alec.tron

Has anyone tested the picard 2.0 beta that came out recently ?
Is it stable & recommended as a starting point (i.e. has it been in closed beta before, so the worst kinks are ironed out ? or is it a crash fest & one needs to keep a close eye on output, and should be able to put it in context of 1.x versions to make sense of it...) ?

Also, for the regular users - the documentation does sound as if you could easily:
- adjust the mapping for which tags are written where ? ( I wouldn't want ANY standard tags to be touched... at all, as all is set up with standard tags via discogs... but I wouldn't mind having musicbrainz data in custom fields... )
- use python snippets with the picard editor ?
- and finally - more of a workflow question - is there anything in Picard to show where tags would get changed (similar to foobar's foo_discogs tagger way that can be tuned to show on;y what will be changed [unfortunately it's still a bit tricky to adjust the mapping template there on the fly...).

Cheers.
c.
Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 09:47:09 PM by alec.tron

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I haven't tried 2.0 yet, but if there's a beta available I'll check it out asap

You can accomplish any remapping of tags with scripts and settings. It's really easy in the last 1.x version to add fields that you want to be protected from changes. Artwork is the only one you might have to worry about on an album-by-album basis.

The whole point of the bottom panel in Picard is to allow you to see exactly what changes will be made and adjust them as desired.

My guess with python snippets or you'd have to write a plugin, but I can't swear to it.
Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 04:07:55 AM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Sweet, thanks!  I've been knee deep in homework and barely keeping up with anything else.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Forcen

I'm trying to tag this release and get the split artist stuff working but I'm having problems. I tried using the first script on the wiki page and using the plugin and I somehow got a good result the first time but now I can't reproduce it.. I think I'm not sure if I should use the script and the plugin or both and also if I should use idtag 2.3 or 2.4...

Can anyone here tag any mp3 to one of those tracks and get the artists "right"?

This is what I get now:
Basically Original values are good if musicbee can see the different artists but I'm not sure how I got them and I can't reproduce it.

EDIT: I might have figured it out, using the plugin, 2.4 tags and new mbee 3.2 seems to work even though it looks wrong in that image.
Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 04:45:35 PM by Forcen

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I would recommend disabling the plugin. I use only the scripts and I don't think the plugin has been maintained.  If that doesn't help, maybe share your scripts so I can look over them.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Forcen

2.0 is out: https://blog.musicbrainz.org/2018/07/19/picard-2-0-released/

Just be aware that it's not an installer, it's a single executable that also might upgrade/poorly import your settings so back them up before even running the file.
Be aware that downgrading from 2.0 to 1.4 may lead to configuration compatibility issues – ensure that you have saved your Picard configuration before using 2.0 if you intend to go back to 1.4.
[/s]
EDIT: fixed: https://blog.musicbrainz.org/2018/07/21/picard-2-0-1-released-windows-and-macos-users-rejoice/

About the scripts, i was using this one: http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Tagging_Multiple_Artists_with_Picard#Display_Artist_and_Guest_Artist

And it was still problematic. Like I said, if you can tag any mp3 to that album I linked above and get proper split artists in musicbee then I'm curious how you did it. Not sure if the music you tag creates this issue.

I got it right once and that might be thanks to that plugin, script or the 2.4 id3 tag setting or some combination of the three.

And I'm sorry for the late reply... :-[
Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 09:57:24 PM by Forcen

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Regarding the script, I found an issue with it recently (maybe related to Picard changes) and updated it on the page, so give it another shot. If it's still not doing it, give me some screenshots and I'll try to work through it with you.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Forcen

That might be correct for musicbee but is the "artist" field supposed to be empty in Picard when there are multiple artists? Looks a bit odd, even other software like VLC it looks to be no artist tagged..

For the DJ hero tracks I tagged right the first time somehow and can't reproduce the result this happens:

It seems to not change anything that badly except removing the "artist" tag, maybe needlessly.

It seems to have solved it for musicbee at least so that's progress. Still not sure if it's exactly right yet.

This is picard 2.0.1 with the newly copied script with id3 tags and UTF-8.
What tag version are you using in picard?
Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 10:49:38 PM by Forcen

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
You're right, that change fixed it for somebody else but it breaks it for me.

This is the script as I'm using it right now and it's working for me:

$if($in(%artists%,;),
   $set(DISPLAY ARTIST,%artist%)
   $if($in(%artist%,feat.),
      $set(artist,$rreplace(%artist%,\\sfeat.*,))
          $setmulti(GUEST ARTIST,$replace(%artists%,%artist%; ,))
      $copy(artist,artists)
   )
,)

$if($in(%title%,mix by ),
   $if($not(%remixer%),
      $set(remixer,$rreplace(%title%,.*mix by ,))
      $set(remixer,$replace(%remixer%,\),))
   ,)
,)
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)