Author Topic: 2 different date tags? 1 for song 1st release & 1 for compilation realease  (Read 2482 times)

migratorybird

Hi!
I was wondering if it would be possible to add a feature.
If I classify my music by Artist/Year/Album, all compilations, best ofs and so on get split up among the discography, beacause songs are tagged with their own first release date, and not the year of the compilation release (which could be 20 years later).
Would it be possible to add a new field, that would correspond to the compilation release date?
Thanks for reading!!  :)

UK82

Yeah a 'song year' and 'album year' tag would be handy.

Same sort of thing as 'artist' and 'album artist'.

Is the best way round it to use [year] and [year (yyyy)] (as a custom tag)?

Have [year] as the album year. To start with copy all of the values in this over to [year(yyyy)] so you don't lose what you've already tagged. Then for albums with different year songs set the [year] to be the album year.

This would work - any better ways/ideas out there?

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
There is a pre-defined custom tag "Original Year" available in the custom selections.
Maybe 'Year' for the compilation release and 'Original Year' for first release would work.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

UK82

There is a pre-defined custom tag "Original Year" available in the custom selections.
Maybe 'Year' for the compilation release and 'Original Year' for first release would work.

It certainly would and makes more sense than using [year(yyyy)].

The main reason I want to do this is because I rename folders as [year] _ [album] and - because it picks up the year from the track - this means I end up getting multiple folders of the same album if I do automated folder renaming with musicBee (sure I can hardcode the album year into the path but would be nice not have to have to think about that in the future...)

I'm still learning what musicBee can do and this has led me onto discovering the excellent Tools/Tagging Tags/Library Report.
With a bit of playing around you can create a spreadsheet that you can filter to only show albums that include songs with different years. Very useful.

I swear if I look hard enough I'll find a 'free beer for life' button in MusicBee somewhere - and it would actually work...