Author Topic: Fake MusicBee in the windows store  (Read 9764 times)

Steven

• Administrator
I just noticed a fake version of musicbee in the microsoft windows store
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/latest-musicbee/9nblggh1zklc

there doesnt appear to be any way to flag it as a fake so if anyone knows the procedure please let me know

phred

• Global Moderator
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Steven

• Administrator
thanks phred
seems they have removed the link to report an application so i guess MS really dont care
Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 07:11:29 AM by Steven

Zak

• Global Moderator
It doesn't show up in the Windows Store app. It only seems to be on the web site.
Can't even leave a review without installing it. :(
Bee excellent to each other...

J24

• Love music of all genres and cultures
I think it's on the mobile store only, so it doesn't show up in the PC store. Maybe it's possible to report it from a Windows Phone?
I'm addicted to meth, that is, methadata.
Wanna share music recommendations? add me on Last.fm!

vpsaxman

Steven

• Administrator
Try emailing your concerns through this email address: [email protected]

Source.
thanks for the link - i got a response saying they would review the app so thats progress

vpsaxman

Try emailing your concerns through this email address: [email protected]

Source.
thanks for the link - i got a response saying they would review the app so thats progress
Glad to hear they responded. Please keep us posted. I'd be curious to know whether they follow up or not.

Steven

• Administrator
Glad to hear they responded. Please keep us posted. I'd be curious to know whether they follow up or not.
well it doesnt look like microsoft did anything as the page is still there - its a bit disappointing and not showing a lot of respect for their windows store users either.
Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 10:31:00 AM by Steven

phred

• Global Moderator
Geez ... they sure don't make it easy.  I figured I could post a review stating that the app is a fake, so I signed up with a throw-away email address, logging in, and tried to create a review.  I was denied since I hadn't downloaded the app.  And I couldn't download the app because I need to do it from my windows phone.  Which of course, I don't have.

If there are any windows phone users out there, perhaps they can download the app, post a review stating that the app is a fake and provide a link to the real (and only) MusicBee.  And then delete the app from your phone.  Caveat emptor:  the app may not only be fake, it may be some sort of trojan app, so if you do download it for the sake of posting that it's a fake, you do so at your own risk.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

hiccup

I just spend close to an hour to do something about it, but Microsoft is really turning this in a (bad) Kafka experience.

I indeed had to install this crap on my Windows Phone.
It is indeed malicious, trying to mess up security settings or something.

But at least I then was 'allowed' and tried to review and report comments and warnings about this on their Store.
I tried that both by means of the Microsoft Store app on my phone, and also on my desktop pc on the Microsoft site.

In all cases, after spending time and effort writing an explanatory and cautionary report and review, the applications got stuck.
I got either an error code (which I could not resolve), or the final 'Submit' button just not responding at all, with the only other option being 'Cancel'.

Shame on Microsoft for this. Unbelievable crap.

edit:
I was able to click somewhere on 'report concern to Microsoft', and that did not result in an error (but also not in a clear confirmation)
Hopefully at least that triggered something.
Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 02:03:00 PM by hiccup

hiccup

I am not sure, but this could indicate that there are two different fake musicbee app versions in their store:

phred

• Global Moderator
Shame on Microsoft for this. Unbelievable crap.

edit:
I was able to click somewhere on 'report concern to Microsoft', and that did not result in an error (but also not in a clear confirmation)
Hopefully at least that triggered something.
Thanks for giving it a go hiccup.  And for putting your phone at risk.  So far the app still has no reviews.  What a kerfuffle!!

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

hiccup

Thanks for giving it a go hiccup.  And for putting your phone at risk.  So far the app still has no reviews.  What a kerfuffle!!

Nopro,

But it is quite worrisome that Microsoft seems only to have focus and interest in having as many apps as possible in their (lousy) store, only to compete in simple numbers with Android and Apple.
Quality, security, and copyright infringement seem to be completely irrelevant to them.

To speak for myself (and friends and relatives), this strategy completely backfires.
I am very reluctant to try out any app at all on my Windows Phone, and on my desktop PC have completely eradicated any presence and references to Windows apps, and giving any (hidden) feedback whatsoever to Microsoft. Now, and in the future.
(thank you W10Privacy !)