Author Topic: 'Queue Next' & 'Queue Last' in Now Playing?  (Read 5813 times)

dbenutzen

To me, 'Queue Next' means play next, after the current track completes. But that's not what I'm getting. 'Queue Next' only adds the selected track to the play queue right after the currently playing track if there is only one track in the play queue or if the last track added was added via 'Queue Last'. Otherwise, it adds it AFTER the most recent track added using 'Queue Next' but before any tracks added via 'Queue Last'.

Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? Or perhaps I misunderstand how 'Queue Next' is supposed to function.

Zak

• Global Moderator
The good news is, you're not doing anything wrong.

Otherwise, it adds it AFTER the most recent track added using 'Queue Next' but before any tracks added via 'Queue Last'.

That is how Queue Next works, by design.

The bad news is, I don't think there's any way to select a track and have it play next regardless of what else is queued - well, except for manually positioning it in the Now Playing list, which isn't very convenient.

In a literal sense, right now Queue Next probably doesn't do exactly what it says if used to queue multiple tracks, but it's never been raised before so I guess most users don't mind. For myself, when I'm choosing songs at random I find it more natural to hear songs played in the order I thought of them - otherwise the first song I thought of would be the last song I hear.  :-\
Bee excellent to each other...

hiccup

If this would be put on the wish list, I would probably support it.
Not as a change of current queuing behavior, but as an addition.

Adding something like 'queue next after currently playing' might be a little long, so maybe simply 'Play next'? (keeping the rest of the queue intact)

Steven

• Administrator
The way Queue Next works is it initially adds the song immediately after the current playing track and if shuffle mode is enabled, forces the track to be the next track in the shuffle queue
Subsequent Queue Next's add the selected track after the initial Queue Next ie. it becomes the second track in the queue list (assuming the current song is still playing - of course if the current song had completed then it becomes the first in the queue list).
I would have to dig through the code to confirm but i recall there are some conditions by which appending to the Queue Next queue is reset.

I guess the OP wants Queue Next to ignore any pending Queue Next tracks and always force to the front of the queue? If so i imagine most people would not want that behavior

@zak, trying now if i select multiple files it queues them in the way i described - do you have different behavior?
Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 06:06:22 PM by Steven

phred

• Global Moderator
I guess the OP wants Queue Next to ignore any pending Queue Next tracks and always force to the front of the queue? If so i imagine most people would not want that behavior
Agreed.  I would not want the behavior the OP describes.  The current behavior is ideal for me.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Pingaware

Agreed.  I would not want the behavior the OP describes.  The current behavior is ideal for me.

Seconded. And thirded. And fourthed. If you want to rearrange the play queue, you can always drag stuff around in the Now Playing List.
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

dbenutzen

I’m not asking for any change in how the QUEUE NEXT or QUEUE LAST commands work – just trying to fully understand exactly how they’re intended to function. But, having said that, I do think it would be useful to add a PLAY NEXT command that would insert the selected track into the play queue immediately after the track currently playing.

Zak

• Global Moderator
@zak, trying now if i select multiple files it queues them in the way i described - do you have different behavior?
I meant queuing multiple tracks, one at a time. Not selecting a bunch o' tracks at the same time and queuing them. I've had no problems with how it works.

hiccup

I do think it would be useful to add a PLAY NEXT command that would insert the selected track into the play queue immediately after the track currently playing.

This would be an additional feature, and you could post a request for this in the wish list.
(Maybe it would be good to wait to do that after v3 is released later this year and the dust has settled on that one.)

electro

I’m not asking for any change in how the QUEUE NEXT or QUEUE LAST commands work – just trying to fully understand exactly how they’re intended to function. But, having said that, I do think it would be useful to add a PLAY NEXT command that would insert the selected track into the play queue immediately after the track currently playing.
+1

Queue Next seems a bit confusing and after reading the explanation in this topic, not so much. Many times I like to make playlists on the fly (I add song by song) and I like to add first the last song I thought about. Many times using Queue Next didn't add the selected track immediately after the currently playing track.

In this case, a Play Next command (that literally play next the track(s) added to the queue) would be necessary. Or to add some settings about changing the behaviour of Queue Next: standard mode & play next mode. Steven please consider adding this feature.
Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 11:28:41 AM by electro

dbenutzen

I do think it would be useful to add a PLAY NEXT command that would insert the selected track into the play queue immediately after the track currently playing.

This would be an additional feature, and you could post a request for this in the wish list.
(Maybe it would be good to wait to do that after v3 is released later this year and the dust has settled on that one.)

OK, I’ll do that.

In any case, I can get it to do what I want by adding the track via QUEUE LAST and then immediately adding the same track again via QUEUE NEXT. If I do that, it inserts the track in the play queue right after the track currently playing. Then I just remove the first entry from the end of the play queue. A bit clumsy but it works.

Otherwise, a great piece of software – far exceeds iTunes!

Zak

• Global Moderator
In any case, I can get it to do what I want by adding the track via QUEUE LAST and then immediately adding the same track again via QUEUE NEXT. If I do that, it inserts the track in the play queue right after the track currently playing. Then I just remove the first entry from the end of the play queue. A bit clumsy but it works.

That works because Queue Last must be one those occasions Steven mentioned when the internal list of previously queued tracks is reset.

That sounds like a right pain in the arse though, so I'm going to state the obvious: you can also drag tracks from the main library view to the Now Playing list and drop them in any position you like. The little speaker in the Now Playing list will indicate which track is currently playing, and in the Now Playing preferences you can also set the current track to show in a different colour which makes it even easier to find.