Author Topic: moving a folder between drives with correct update to the library  (Read 1930 times)

hiccup

I am trying to see if I could change my current workflow, so to use less external tools, and less re-scans.

From within MusicBee I would like to move a whole folder containing 1 album from a location on one drive to a location on another drive.
I think this cannot be done from the main panel, since it will then only move the music files from that folder and will not copy the complete exact folder.
So the way to do this is then probably by using the Computer explorer tree in the left panel.
But I have not find a way to cleanly move a folder with all it's contents to another drive, where the library is also updated directly without any troubles. (for example the MusicBee library sometimes will reference to the old location even though the folder was deleted there)

I am probably doing something wrong, so If somebody else is doing this on a regular basis, could he/she please give me a step-by-step on this?

tia

hiccup

Considering the absence of responses, can I assume it is not possible to move a complete folder containing an album from one drive to another, whilst keeping the album in the library (but with automatically updated url)?

Steven

• Administrator
you should be able to drag the folder in the Computer node
it should work, including updating playlist and library references  but i guess its always possible there is a bug.
i suggest trying it on a copy of a folder first

hiccup

I have tried it in several manners, including holding [shift], [Ctrl], etc, but the library keeps remembering the original url.
No problem for now, I'll wait until v3 is 'on the road', and maybe bring it up again if it's still an issue by then.