Author Topic: Database Question  (Read 4647 times)

wrwetzel

I would like to access the MusicBee library database file, MusicBeeLibrary.mbl, outside the scope of the MusicBee application to look at some of the statistics of my library. Among other things I would like to find the most common titles, artists, etc., look for titles, artists, albums, etc., with spelling errors, and more.

Is the database file in a form that is supported by one of the common database applications, e.g. Sqlite, MySql, Postgress, etc.? A quick look did not reveal anything distinctive to me and I was unable to view it with Sqlite tools.

Thanks,
Bill

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
The Additional Tagging & Reporting tools plugin should help you there.  Messing with the database directly is a bad idea.

http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Additional_Tagging_and_Reporting_Tools
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

wrwetzel

Should not be a problem as long as I open it read-only, which is all I need as I have no desire to change it.
Bill

The Additional Tagging & Reporting tools plugin should help you there.  Messing with the database directly is a bad idea.

http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Additional_Tagging_and_Reporting_Tools

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I really think the plugin is your best bet; it has very comprehensive tools and good support.  Steven has not offered any suggestions on accessing the database in the past.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

phred

• Global Moderator
I'd suggest copying the .mbl to another directory before you open it.  That way you can copy it back should something go wrong.  Once it's gone, it's gone.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Steven

• Administrator
i confirm the darabase is only intended to be accessible via exporting an iTunes xml file, the API or the reporting tools plugin

wrwetzel

Thanks to all for your comments. I have looked at the Additional Tagging Tools plugin and it appears that it will satisfy my needs. My original question still remains unanswered, however:

Is the database file in a form that is supported by one of the common database applications, e.g. Sqlite, MySql, Postgress, etc.?

Thanks,
Bill