Author Topic: Using MusicBee with Windows 10/Cortana voice commands?  (Read 4764 times)

MidianGTX

Is this at all possible? I did a quick search on using Cortana with applications other than the defaults and people seem to be getting varying results.

Looking at this thread* on Reddit, it seems a user called dumindaxsb has had success getting it to work with VLC by changing the .wpl file association. I tried to do the same myself but wasn't given any options other than Groove Music and Windows Media Player.

I guess the first question is, does MusicBee support the .wpl format? If so, are there any workarounds I can do to associate them?

Thanks for any help.

*https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3e8lwz/make_cortana_control_itunes_instead_of_groove/

Steven

• Administrator
its not something i have time to look into for now.
If you can figure out how to instruct Cortana to run a dos command then you should be able to get it to work
eg.
MusicBee.exe /Play xxxxxxxx.mp3
google the forum or wiki for the full list of command line options

for developers reading this, the is also an IPC plugin that allows you to call the MB api from various scripting or .NET languages

joShu

Cortana does control MusicBee on Win10, but it is rudimentary.

How I did it:
I associated MusicBee with all the music-related file types.
Then I made sure that Cortana was working.
Then I just said, "Hey Cortana, play some music."

She then opened MusicBee, selected three albums, shuffled them into the Now Playing playlist, and started playing them.

Cortana responds to "Next Track", "Previous Track", and "Pause".

In MusicBee, she does not respond to "Resume" for me, unfortunately. If you say "Play", she selects new albums and starts playing.

On my Lumia 925 phone, I can say, "Hey Cortana, play Led Zepplin" or "Play Jazz music" and she will.
But it does not work on Win10 with MusicBee.
It will work with Win10 and Groove though.

So Cortana works with MusicBee in Win10, but it is pretty basic.