Author Topic: Accidental play  (Read 3225 times)

sbt

I am getting increasingly frustrated, to the point of already looking for another player, with accidentally playing tracks or adding lists to the 'Now Playing Queue'.

Basically I am unable to even select a playlist tab, including my full library (all 7000+ tracks of it) for editing without a 10% chance of it being tacked on the end of the queue. If I left click on a track to, say, edit its tags, there is around the same chance that it will be played immediately, cancelling any carefully constructed queue of tracks I have lined up.

I know that some people may like this behaviour but is there any way to turn it off? I have tried adjusting my double click settings but it doesn't seem to stop this behaviour.

As I say, its getting to the point where I may abandon MusicBee, much as I like many other features. I want to play and manage my music not tiptoe around a minefield.

phred

• Global Moderator
You're not clear, but I assume you are left-clicking on a track in the library and the field becomes editable, correct?  I believe that behavior has been changed in more recent versions as I can't get reproduce what I think you're doing.  As far as I know, the only way to edit a tag is via Shift-Enter or right-click > Edit.  Or by creating a hotkey.  You don't say what version you're using so try updating to the latest 2.5 patch.

EDIT- I just reread your post, and while I'm still not 100% certain about what you're doing, try changing the now playing action.  Edit > Preferences > Now Playing > Now Playing List > "Action to take when adding tracks..."

Perhaps posting a step-by-step of what you're doing and what is happening, along with what you expect to happen.
Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 01:50:13 PM by phred
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

sbt

Some examples:

----

I have a set of tracks queued up and playing.
I select the tab that displays my entire library by single clicking on it
My entire library gets added to the queue - all 7300 of them

----

I select a track in the queue by left clicking once, planning to remove it (e.g, because I have ended up with my entire library in the queue due to the above behaviour)
It starts playing, moving all previous tracks I DO want played off the top of the queue.

----

I select a playlist tab, to add a single track to the queue
Just by selecting the tab I get the entire playlist added to the queue

----

I select my library and filter or sort it to locate a track I want to add to a playlist
I left click once on the track, ready to drag it to the playlist
Depending on the preferences settings and the state of the queue it starts playing or is queued.
If it is queued I click on it in the Now Playing list prior to removing it
It starts playing, scrolling all the tracks I DO want playing off the top of the queue

----

I move away from the Now Playing tab
I select the Now Playing auto playlist for this other tab
The entire set of tracks in the queue have been added to the bottom of the queue, all appearing twice

----

Now I'm sure a lot of this is down to accidental double clicks. Which is great except that after over 30 years using computers I'm not especially prone to them and have, as a result of my problems with MusicBee, adjusted my Windows settings to minimise them. I also don't have this sort of problem with other applications.

In short, all I want is for MusicBee to stop being 'helpful' and making assumptions about what I want to do when I left click on a track or double click, accidentally, on a tab or item in the list of playlists. If I select a 'Play' menu, submenu or other control thats OK. Just don't mess me around, making me afraid to even select a tab to search for the next track I want to add to the queue.

Steven

• Administrator
your click actions are being detected as double clicks.
The interval for double click is a windows setting somewhere in the control panel and i suggest you increase it's value

sbt

As I said in my second to last paragraph:

a) I am aware that this is part of the problem
b) I have already done as you suggest (not stated, but this was done about two weeks ago)

What I did NOT say is that I have also:

a) Tried switching between mice
b) Started running a double click suppressing app

I am still getting things happening that lead to 'throwing things across the room' levels of frustration.

Sadly, I don't get this with other music players, or any other applications, just less functionality and convenience. I LIKE MusicBee but when it leads to me swearing out loud rather than enjoying my music I think its time to give up on it, at least for playing, rather than managing, music.

In my (probably unlamented) absence, maybe it would be an idea to consider having settings that allowed you to turn off the offending behaviours.

PS: As a developer (of sorts - I build software models of combat for the military) myself, I consider it bad practise, at least in the things I build, to have functions that can irrevocably lose users work (eg a prepared list of tracks to be played over an evening) tied to something that can easily be done accidentally, like a double rather than single click.

<Goes and plays something calming>

phred

• Global Moderator
Steven didn't build anything into MB that's a "bad practice."  As noted earlier, control of the mouse click speed is a function of the OS.  I've been since MB, and on these forums, since 2009 and I can not recall anyone else bring up an issue with the double-click speed.
Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 02:18:49 AM by phred
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

electro

@OP: It also annoyed me when sometimes I tried to single click an item and instead it was recevied as a double click (and then spoiling my Now Playing list).

But I found some settings that improve this annoying behaviour. First, empty the Now Playing list. Then go to Preferences -> Now Playing and select these options:

If you accidentally (or not) double click an item from your library/playlists, the Now Playing list stays intact and that item is added immediately after the currently playing song (Queue Next). Then it's easy to quickly delete it from Now Playing if you added it by mistake, while the playback is unaffected. Same behavior if the playback is stopped, except that double clicked item starts playing.

Basically double click acts as Queue Next. I suggest you assign 2 memorable hotkeys to Queue Next and Queue Last (in my case Q and W). These are very helpful to make a quick playlist on the fly on Now Playing list.

With the last setting, it keeps only one previously played track in the Now Playing list, the other already played songs are automatically removed (you can find them in the History tab).

PS: Don't forget that you can also add items to/move items on Now Playing list with drag and drop.
Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 01:29:02 PM by electro