Author Topic: Special cases when converting different formats music collection to mp3  (Read 1773 times)

audiogene

Hello all,

I have a huge music collection in flac, mp3 and m4a format - all 2-channel files. The flac files comprise 24bit/88.2khz and 24/96 files. All other files are 16/44.1. Question arises what happens with all the different formats when I try to bulk convert them to mp3 in archive quality (cbr320)?

??? 1. Will an existing mp3/cbr320 file in the source collection just be copied to the destination directory or will it be decoded/resampled (to cbr320: which of course is awkward)
 ??? 2. Will a 24bit flac file be resampled to 16bit or will the file only be resampled to 44.1kHz keeping the 24bit resolution?

Thanks for any pointer - and, if the answer to any of my question should be negative, I would ask the developer to correct the behaviour of the program correspondigly... :-*

Greetz,
audiogene

electro

1. They will be re-encoded to whatever format you selected. Of course, re-encoding existing MP3s will make them worse.

2. Anything over 48 kHz / 16 bit will be downgraded to 48 kHz / 16 bit (max. limit of the MP3 format).

hiccup

Question arises what happens with all the different formats when I try to bulk convert them to mp3 in archive quality (cbr320)?

??? 1. Will an existing mp3/cbr320 file in the source collection just be copied to the destination directory or will it be decoded/resampled (to cbr320: which of course is awkward)

I don't know how you want to do the batch converting, but if you do it by using the option in MusicBee to 'send to virtual device', you can select in the 'on-the-fly' settings panel that files that are already mp3 will not be re-encoded.