Author Topic: go to next higher or lower entry in column browser on tag change  (Read 3457 times)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I know this has come up a few times recently, but I'm not having any luck finding the older posts.  If there's already a solution in the works, ignore me.  Or point me to the right post.  :)

It really is annoying when you're trying to edit some tags and every time you make a change that eliminates a column browser entry, it sends you to the top.  I think it would be much more user-friendly to go to the next entry in the list.  I think going down the list would make more sense than going up, since people are more likely to be making their way consecutively down the list making changes, but that's a relatively minor detail.

(Current example: I have some genres that are being read as strings and in order to fix them, I find the entries in the column browser, then go in and quickly resave each track in the main panel.  I'm just working my way steadily down, and don't want to go back to the top.)

Edit: Tangent, but I managed to solve this particular problem quickly using the reencode tag command from Additional Tagging & Reporting Tools.  I think the adjustment to column browser behavior would still be helpful, though.
Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 04:02:02 AM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

phred

• Global Moderator
I think the adjustment to column browser behavior would still be helpful, though.
+1
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Pingaware

+1

This comes up very frequently, and while it's not something that bothers me, I can well understand that it's not quite intuitive behaviour.
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

udubber83

"Edit: Tangent, but I managed to solve this particular problem quickly using the reencode tag command from Additional Tagging & Reporting Tools.  I think the adjustment to column browser behavior would still be helpful, though."

can you explain how this was done?   This problem is really annoying to me as well.  thanks.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
You need this plugin: http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Additional_Tagging_and_Reporting_Tools

Then go to Tools > Tagging Tools > Reencode tag...  Tell it what tag you want to reencode, without changing any other settings.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

udubber83

thanks for the reply. I installed the plugin but not really understanding how it works.  do i just hilight the song I want to retag, then go to tools>tagging tools >reencode tag and then click 'proceed'?    Then am I able to retag a song artist name w/o losing my spot in the artist column?  Right now it isn't working.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Yeah, highlight the tracks you want to process first.  If that doesn't help, you'll need to provide a screenshot of what you're doing that's not working.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)