Author Topic: Subsonic Client  (Read 55325 times)

Maleko12

@phred: Here's the ipconfig /all information, I blocked some of the info:

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : [Blocked]
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : mshome.net

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : mshome.net
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-22-15-A4-83-EA
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::192d:3777:1ce1:cd68%10(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.[Blocked].1.[Blocked](Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : [Blocked].255.[Blocked].[Blocked]
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, June 05, 2011 10:14:27 AM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, June 06, 2011 10:14:27 AM
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.[Blocked].1.[Blocked](Preferred)
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.[Blocked].1.[Blocked](Preferred)
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 234889749
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-12-D3-71-28-00-22-15-A4-83-EA

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : [Blocked]
                                       [Blocked]
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix Search List :
                                       mshome.net
@Steven: How do you do a PING info you're talking about?

@Sarge: I tried to turn the firewall off, and I also allowed inbound connections (it previously was being blocked)... still MB is giving me the same error. :( I'm just trying to connect to SubSonic from MB via my Motorola wired router. Strange, I can connect to SubSonic anywhere (another computer, my Android phone, my server PC's browser, etc.) but not MB itself.

phred

• Global Moderator
Thanks for the IPCONFIG info.  I'll get to that in a minute, but I just re-read the entire thread and need to think out loud here.  I'm trying to understand exactly what you're trying to do that's not working.  MB & SS are on the same machine.  You can connect to SS via the Android phone and via a web browser.  What you can't do is connect to SS from MB, correct?  

To PING your computer, open a Command Prompt and type PING 192.xxx.xxx.xxx where the IP address is the address of the machine where Subsonic is installed.  You'll get a response show four replies from the pinged machine.  If the reply shows bytes, time, and TTL then you can successfully reach that machine.  If the reply shows something like 'destination host unreachable' or 'can't find host' then your SS machine isn't reachable.  

Based on your IPCONFIG data, the IP address on the machine where you ran IPCONFIG (which I assume is the machine where MB & SS live) your IP address is automatically assigned.  And could change every few days.  Which could be a problem when trying to reach the machine from outside.  

I'm scratching my head and I keep coming back to the fact that both apps are on the same machine and you're trying to reach one via the other.  And I'm thinking that may be part of (if not the entire) problem.   If I get the energy, I'll do a quick install of MB on my machine which has SS on it and see if I can connect.

EDIT:
I didn't need much energy at all to install MB.  I just remoted (is that a word?) into that machine, and three minutes later MB was up and running.  In the Plugins preferences of MB I changed four things for Subsonic - host, port, username, and password.  Obviously username and password are those which you use to log in to Subsonic.  I set the port to the port SS is configured to use.  I then tried two different hosts and both worked.  First I used the IP address of the machine I had just installed MB on (and where Subsonic lives.)  Saved the config, went to the Computer tree of MB and within seconds all my tracks were showing.  Then I changed the host to localhost and again had no problem getting to the tracks via Subsonic.  So they definitely can live on the same machine.

Are you certain that the setting for the port you have configured in MB is the port SS is configured for?  No typo, perhaps?

I made a commitment to get this working for you and I'm about ready to start banging my head against the wall.  Or change my MB skin to Sarge's WTF and stare at it until I come up with a solution.
Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 07:40:54 PM by phred
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Sarge

where it says...IP routing enabled = no

can that be changed to a yes?  is that configurable?

I'd also check that link i sent..dyndns
also i'm not sure what model motorola you have but here is some info on port forwarding a motorola router

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Motorola/WR850Gv6.1.4/default.htm
Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 09:10:51 PM by Sarge

Sarge

go to here first and get your ip
http://www.whatismyip.com/
 then type your ip into the browser address bar
you should get a sign in box..if you have motorola it will be default

admin...and password is ..motorola
see if you can configure there

Maleko12

OK... when I used the whatsmyip link, I get an IP address that starts with 76. When I put that into the address bar, nothing loads up. Also, when I put the 76.xxx.xx.xxx address in the "host" portion of the SS plugin, I get a "Error: Required parameter is missing." So, I decided to PING both the 192 address and the 76 address. Here are the results:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

[Blocked]>ping 192.xxx.x.xxx

Pinging 192.xxx.x.xxx with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.xxx.x.xxx: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=255
Reply from192.xxx.x.xxx: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=255

Ping statistics for 192.xxx.x.xxx:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

[Blocked]>ping 76.xxx.xx.xxx

Pinging 76.xxx.xx.xxx with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 76.xxx.xx.xxx:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

My port is the same on both, I triple-checked it! And yes, this is extremely frustrating.

phred

• Global Moderator
Believe it or not, the results you posted are progress!!!!

The 76.xxx address you got is the address for your machine on the WAN (Wide Area Network.)  This is the address that computers -outside- of your house would see.  (If you use Firefox you can get an extension that shows your 'outside' IP in the status bar - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/showip/?id=590)  The 192.xxx is the IP address of your LAN (Local Area Network.)  This is the address -inside- your house.

You can't ping the WAN IP because you're on the other side of modem.  If you were to use a computer outside your house you would be able to ping it.  On my MB installation here at home, I use the 192.xxx address of the Subsonic machine.  On my MB installation at work, I use the -outside- IP (which in my case begins with 24.xxx.)  Both require the port, but the outside address would also require port forwarding to be set on the router IF THERE IS MORE THAN ONE COMPUTER ON YOUR HOME NETWORK.  If your modem feeds your router and your router feed more than one computer, forwarding the Subsonic port will point incoming traffic to the machine with Subsonic.  What make/model router are you using?

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Maleko12

YAY progress! To clarify though, there is only one computer in the network.

Make: Motorola
Model:  2210-02

phred

• Global Moderator
To clarify my last statement - the 76.xxx address is the IP address of your DSL -modem- and is what's seen by the outside world.  The 192.xxx IP address is the address of your computer.

Now for the problem - that Motorola you're using is a modem, not a router.  Modems do not have the ability to port forward.  You said you're using Windows Firewall.  Are you running XP or W7?  If 7, open Windows Firewall and go to Advanced Settings.  Select Inbound Rules and then New Rule.  Select Port and click Next.  Select TCP and Specific local ports.  Enter the Subsonic port in the local port field and click Next.  Select Allow the connection and click Next.  Check all three choices on the When does this rule apply screen and click Next.  Enter a name (and description if desired) and click Finish.  Reboot the computer and make sure Subsonic is started.  Then launch MB and let me know if it works.
Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 01:25:31 AM by phred

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Maleko12

I'm using the pre-installed Windows Firewall. The OS is Windows 7.

phred

• Global Moderator
 I was editing my response while you were telling me your firewall.  I looked at previous posts and saw your firewall and gave you some suggestions.  Let me know how it goes.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Maleko12

Just finished... still getting "the unable to connect to the remote server" error.  ??? ???

phred

• Global Moderator
Grrrr ... you're gonna make a liar out of me    >:(

This is getting very frustrating.  I'm out of ideas for tonight.  Perhaps I'll have some new thoughts tomorrow.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Maleko12

I'm sorry for this extremely frustrating ordeal. Not sure at all why this isn't happening.

Sarge

Maleko12

Just did the link above Sarge: No new changes I'm afraid... :( :( :(