Author Topic: spectrum customization ?  (Read 3652 times)

whismerhill

I'm trying out music managers lately
my two preferred right now are foobar2000 & musicbee
when I compare both spectrum, it's very evident that foobar2000 spectrum seems more fluid/faster display

is there a way to customize this ? amount of refreshes per second for example  ...

Steven

• Administrator
the foobaar plugin appears smoother because it uses a wide bar to show the current position allowing it to render in a way that appears less jerky.
I might look at that aspect for v3
I have not observed the foobar plugin displaying faster - infact in my tests MB was faster at loading but that was tested a long time ago so things might have changed.
Its not something i am willing to spend much time on though

edit:
has a quick look at the foobar plugin again - it appears caches the waveform images after the first time its loaded, and loads instantly on subsequent reloads thats probably why you think its faster
Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 06:46:10 PM by Steven

whismerhill

no I wasn't thinking about load time at all. both apps are fast enough (at least on my computer)
more like the number of refreshes per second or something
it's alright maybe it's just a perception or something xD, after all the colors of the skins are different so that might play a role ...

nope in fact I relooked closely I'm not sure anymore if it's even the number of refreshes per second
it's just that in foobar 2000 I think the bars are more "nervous", they fall down faster it seems to me. (also both the toolbar spectrum and the "visualization: spectrum" act the same on this front)
I was just wondering if there was some customization possible because I prefer how it looks in foobar but hey that's just me and the next dude could have the opposite opinion xD

CaptainDuck

I'm sure you were talking about this spectrum visualization.

I must say that I absolutely agree, it's too slow.
In musicbee it's got, idk, 20 fps, but almost every other music player can handle it at 60. As a result it looks really weird.

More customization in this little panel would be also nice, like colour selection or switch to oscilloscope, but at least make it faster, please.

whismerhill

just saw your reply & yes that's what I was talking about

and I'm not sure it's the frames per second
it just looks weird imho

I was listening to "Feder - Goodbye"
and watching closely
and while on foobar I can identify the beat looking at the bars moving
on musicbee I can't
I wish I had the abilities to do a video side by side comparison of the two in synch, but I don't xD

but hey musicbee is much more complete than foobar as a music manager so I'm not complaining xD