Author Topic: How to Make Custom Tags (Release Format)  (Read 6424 times)

AugustHouse

Hello MB Community,

I've been using MusicBee for 2 weeks now and I love it so far. However, after searching around past threads in the wiki and the forums for a while now, I still haven't been able to find a simple, step-by-step description of how to make custom tags. Could anyone help me? Specifically, I'm trying to tag my music so that I can sort by Release Type/Format (Album, EP, Single, Live, Compilation, etc.).

Thanks in advance!

Alumni

Welcome, I hope these instructions are simple enough to follow.

Go to Preferences, Tags (1), then under the "custom tags" section click on "define new tags..." In the top section of that window, type in the name of the custom tag you want to create and press tab to copy it to the rest of the columns. Next click save. Go back to the Tags (1) "custom tags" options and pick an empty custom tag slot, for example "Custom 3". Type the same name you entered before, then click the drop down menu to select the name of the tag you created a moment ago. Click save or apply, MusicBee should then re-scan your library. Now when you right click on an album or song to edit the details, you should see a new entry for your custom tag under "Tags (2)". If you want to sort your view using the new tag, you can do that by right clicking the "sort by" header and "define custom sorting..." option. Select a blank entry and using the drop down menus you can select a mixture of default tags and custom tags to fine tune the sort order.

Zak

• Global Moderator
Specifically, I'm trying to tag my music so that I can sort by Release Type/Format (Album, EP, Single, Live, Compilation, etc.).
There is also a tag "Media Type" which sort of fits that description. I think it's actually meant to refer to the physical medium (and now digital), but I use it to separate albums, singles etc.
Bee excellent to each other...

AugustHouse

Thank you Alumni for the very clear process of how to do it and thank you Zak for the tip! I'm currently going through my library adjusting the tags and it seems to be working exactly how I want it to, after a small tweak (adding /year in custom sorting). Thanks again for all the help!

phred

• Global Moderator
There is also a tag "Media Type" which sort of fits that description. I think it's actually meant to refer to the physical medium (and now digital), but I use it to separate albums, singles etc.
Where exactly are you seeing the Media Type tag?  I opened the Tag Editor and looked at Tags and Tags (2) and don't see it.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Where exactly are you seeing the Media Type tag?  I opened the Tag Editor and looked at Tags and Tags (2) and don't see it.

It's in the custom tag list.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

phred

• Global Moderator
Got it.  Thanks.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Zak

• Global Moderator
It's not a new custom tag I created, so I thought it must have been included with a vanilla MusicBee install.
For the OP, I see you probably still have to give it a name and select it on the custom tag list like this:

You could also call it something else if you prefer.
Bee excellent to each other...